Midi-cv Converter?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Gregor Samsa
Gear: Too much (not enough).

Midi-cv Converter?

Post by Gregor Samsa » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:55 pm

I'm looking into SH-101's for which I will also need a midi-cv converter. Can you give me some options for one that will work solidly, but won't kill my bank account? I don't see myself running lots of analogs so I don't need tons of in's/outs/whatever. I just want to be able to play it and get it into my sequencer.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Re: Midi-cv Converter?

Post by cornutt » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:57 pm

The absolute cheapest way to do this is probably the Synhouse Midijack. Very basic, and you have to install it yourself, but everything I've read says it works.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:11 pm

This should be a sticky- "Kenton Pro Solo II: world's best MIDI CV"

gnasher
Gear: Alesis Quadrasynth
Yamaha DGX220
CME UF60
Korg EA-1
Various Effects Pedals

Post by gnasher » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:53 pm

This is an extremely naive question. But, what does a MIDI - CV converter do? How would you use it?
The music does not exist to serve us. We exist to serve the music.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:00 pm

gnasher wrote:This is an extremely naive question. But, what does a MIDI - CV converter do? How would you use it?
A MIDI > CV Converter basically allows you to control or sequence analogue gear from midi sources or even your PC.

examples:

MIDI Synth > CV Converter > CV & Gate outs > Analogue Synth CV & Gate Ins.

MIDI SEQ > CV Converter > Din Sync24 Out > Roland Din Sync24 In (stop/start messages for a drum machine or seq 303/606/808/909)

PC > CV Converter > CV & Gate Outs > Analogue Synth CV & Gate Ins (same with sequencers/drum machines)
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

cornutt

Post by cornutt » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:50 pm

gnasher wrote:This is an extremely naive question. But, what does a MIDI - CV converter do? How would you use it?
There are two signals that an analog synth, in a conventional VCO-VCF-VCA patch, absolutely has to have in order to play recognizable notes:

* A control voltage, which sets the pitch of the VCO.

* A gate signal, which starts and stops the envelope generator.

A basic MIDI-CV converter takes a MIDI Note On message and produces these two signals. It raises the gate signal when the Note On is received; this goes to the envelope generator and starts the attack phase. It extracts the note value from the Note On and converts that to a voltage level, for the VCO control voltage. When a MIDI Note Off message is received, it lowers the gate signal, which causes the envelope generator to advance to the release phase.

More sophisticated MIDI-CV converters can do more things. For example, it can extract the velocity value from the Note On message and produce a control voltage from it, which is conventionall routed as an additional control signal to the VCA and makes the note play louder or softer. It can take MIDI Pitch Wheel messages and use that to modify the VCO control voltage, so that it responds to pitch bend. Or it can transform MIDI Controller messages into additional control voltages.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

gnasher
Yamaha DGX220
CME UF60
Korg EA-1
Various Effects Pedals

Post by gnasher » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:40 pm

Oh I think I've got it. So it enables an analogue synth (without MIDI i/o) to be controlled by an external master MIDI controller?

But, doesn't every manufacturer have different configurations when it comes to this CV business? If yes, is there some sort of list that shows which keyboards respond to which 'messages' or am I over analysing a bit? Sorry for all the questions but does CV stand for constant velocity or is that something entirely different?

Thanks for enlightening me guys.

steveman

Post by steveman » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:12 pm

gnasher wrote:Oh I think I've got it. So it enables an analogue synth (without MIDI i/o) to be controlled by an external master MIDI controller?

But, doesn't every manufacturer have different configurations when it comes to this CV business? ... .... Sorry for all the questions but does CV stand for constant velocity or is that something entirely different?
CV stands for Control Votage. Most synths respond to 1v/ oct ie. if the pitch voltage rises by 1v the pitch of the synth should rise by an octave. Yamaha and earlier Korgs synths used Hz/volt. Buchla modular synths use 1.2v/oct. Given the cost of these it's unlikely to be a problem for most of us. Virtually all MIDI > CV convertors will allow you to select which type of output they give.
Gate signals can be either positive or negative, some synths respond to say a 5v trigger, another may need 10. Easiest way is to send the highest voltage then most things will work. (BTW highly unlikely to cause damage with too higher voltage). Moog used something called an s-trigger which I think is essentially inverted. I've heard 1 or 2 older synths respond to different gate levels, but I'm not convinced.
All this is taken care of in the MIDI > CV converter.
If yes, is there some sort of list that shows which keyboards respond to which 'messages' or am I over analysing a bit?
The older synth knows nothing about any messages. All it has are a pitch CV input, a gate input, and if you're lucky a filter CV input.
What 'messages' it responds to are entirely up to the converter. Velocity &/or mod wheel to filter CV are obviously useful.

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:45 pm

I second the Kenton Pro Solo MKII. It's lovely!

cornutt

Post by cornutt » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:43 am

steveman wrote:Moog used something called an s-trigger which I think is essentially inverted.
It's weirder than that. The S-trigger is a completely different type of circuit. The sender of the signal doesn't apply any voltage to the circuit; it just switches a "dry" switch (actually a transistor) that either grounds out the line or not. In order to sense the state, the receiver of the circuit must apply a pull-up voltage to the line.
I've heard 1 or 2 older synths respond to different gate levels, but I'm not convinced.
Some older Rolands have low-impedence gate inputs that reqiure more current to drive. IIRC, the Yamaha CS series need inverted gate.

gnasher
Yamaha DGX220
CME UF60
Korg EA-1
Various Effects Pedals

Post by gnasher » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:42 pm

Thanks very much guys. I think I've got it now...and I've just realised that I don't even need one of these converter things.

Gregor Samsa

Post by Gregor Samsa » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:39 pm

How difficult is the midijack to install? I looked at the synhouse site and it seems to indicate being a bit involved.

The kenton is listed at $236.00 on ebay- is that what you would consider a decent price for one in which I won't have to install? That's looking like the way to go for me.

cornutt

Post by cornutt » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:57 am

Gregor Samsa wrote:How difficult is the midijack to install? I looked at the synhouse site and it seems to indicate being a bit involved.

The kenton is listed at $236.00 on ebay- is that what you would consider a decent price for one in which I won't have to install? That's looking like the way to go for me.

Yeah, the Midijack looks like some work -- it depends to an extent on the synth you're putting it in. That's a good price on the Kenton; I'd go for that.

Gregor Samsa

Post by Gregor Samsa » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:57 am

That's what I'm going to do- I don't want to risk ruining the synth.

Which cables do I need to get to fit it w/ the sh? It seems from looking around that 1/4" patch cables do the trick?

steveman

Post by steveman » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:32 am

Not as sophisticated as the Kenton but the BassStation Rack has MIDI > CV built in (also CV > MIDI!). Got mine for £100, and you get a free Synth :)