Do you aknowledge the importance of dance music

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Soundwave

Re: Do you aknowledge the importance of dance music

Post by Soundwave » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:40 pm

I've got Silver Apples, Tonto Rdies Again and I'm partial to a bit of Jarre and 'Berlin School' here and there, heck I was into that well before dance music had matured to that level.

I was the geek at high school with the state of the art Walkman and chrome Jarre cassttes when everyone else was getting thier mums to sew Iron Maiden or Guns n Roses patches to their school jackets!!

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:08 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Electronic dance music is a broad set of percussive music genres that largely inherit from 1970s disco music and, to some extent, the experimental pop music of Kraftwerk.
Considering most of today's "dance" music that I hear is thumpa-thumpa repetitive tat with supersaw leads and vocals samples on top, I fail to see how it relates at all to disco music. Where are the funky bass lines? The harmonies? The killer chord progressions? This sort of stuff seems to be present in some forms of underground scenes ("house" music for one, though I'm sure there are many), but if you walk into most clubs the stuff they play sure doesn't sound anything like disco to me!

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:14 am

OriginalJambo wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:Electronic dance music is a broad set of percussive music genres that largely inherit from 1970s disco music and, to some extent, the experimental pop music of Kraftwerk.
Considering most of today's "dance" music that I hear is thumpa-thumpa repetitive tat with supersaw leads and vocals samples on top, I fail to see how it relates at all to disco music. Where are the funky bass lines? The harmonies? The killer chord progressions? This sort of stuff seems to be present in some forms of underground scenes ("house" music for one, though I'm sure there are many), but if you walk into most clubs the stuff they play sure doesn't sound anything like disco to me!

Some of it does..... :)

but then again some of it doesn't..... :twisted:

it all depends on what club you go too :wink:

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:28 am

OriginalJambo wrote:
Well, if the elements you listed were the ONLY elements that defined disco, I could see how you'd have trouble connecting them. However, they're not. In fact, you avoided every single element which is shared by disco and electronic dance music.

Of primary significance in disco was a four-on-the-floor bass drum at a danceable tempo around 120. While such things had occurred in music previous to disco, disco, as a genre, was built entirely around this beat and tempo. Electronic dance music is based on it, too.
The drums in disco are largely directed at generating rhythmic elements which keep you dancing, or build excitement. There are rarely odd meters, intermittent or random accents (at least not without the four-on-the-floor or a high hat keeping time), moments without rhythm, or tempo changes.
The structure of the songs include constant crescendos of volume and instrumentation, which inspires dancers. These crescendos often result in a breakdown which leaves at least one rhythmic element going... and then builds back up.
The content of disco was often self-referential... it was about dancing, and lyrical, etc. content often proved it.
MANY beats unique to disco can be found consistently imitated in electronic dance music. Most, really.
Disco often simplified... took out developmental sections, took out complex song structures, took out expressive or emotive subjects, took out singing... leaving a simpler structure which was more effective for dancing.
Disco spearheaded sixteenth note basslines.
Repetition inspires dance. Disco embraced repetition more than rock ever had.
Lots of mainstay elements found in disco were taken by electronic dance music... the high hat on the off-beat eighths, for example.

Of course, more modern electronic dance may be moving away from these connective elements... but that doesn't change what actually happened.
While modern electronic music is full of false connections to previous music ("Pierre Schaeffer, THE FIRST TURNTABLIST..." "Delia Derbyshire: BEAT MATCHING VIRTUOSA," etc. God, I could kill someone) , the disco connection is solid.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:30 am

Soundwave wrote:but then again some of it doesn't..... :twisted:

That cannot be danced to. :lol:
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

snsr
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by snsr » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:59 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:

What? You just have to dance fast, man.

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:15 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:

You don't dance to 'IDM' you just nod your head and scratch your chin. :mrgreen:

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:00 pm

Ah, so that's what replaced Prog then.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:53 am

Soundwave wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:

You don't dance to 'IDM' you just nod your head and scratch your chin. :mrgreen:
But those are my punk dancing moves.

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:22 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
OriginalJambo wrote:
Well, if the elements you listed were the ONLY elements that defined disco, I could see how you'd have trouble connecting them. However, they're not. In fact, you avoided every single element which is shared by disco and electronic dance music.

Of primary significance in disco was a four-on-the-floor bass drum at a danceable tempo around 120. While such things had occurred in music previous to disco, disco, as a genre, was built entirely around this beat and tempo. Electronic dance music is based on it, too.
The drums in disco are largely directed at generating rhythmic elements which keep you dancing, or build excitement. There are rarely odd meters, intermittent or random accents (at least not without the four-on-the-floor or a high hat keeping time), moments without rhythm, or tempo changes.
The structure of the songs include constant crescendos of volume and instrumentation, which inspires dancers. These crescendos often result in a breakdown which leaves at least one rhythmic element going... and then builds back up.
The content of disco was often self-referential... it was about dancing, and lyrical, etc. content often proved it.
MANY beats unique to disco can be found consistently imitated in electronic dance music. Most, really.
Disco often simplified... took out developmental sections, took out complex song structures, took out expressive or emotive subjects, took out singing... leaving a simpler structure which was more effective for dancing.
Disco spearheaded sixteenth note basslines.
Repetition inspires dance. Disco embraced repetition more than rock ever had.
Lots of mainstay elements found in disco were taken by electronic dance music... the high hat on the off-beat eighths, for example.

Of course, more modern electronic dance may be moving away from these connective elements... but that doesn't change what actually happened.
While modern electronic music is full of false connections to previous music ("Pierre Schaeffer, THE FIRST TURNTABLIST..." "Delia Derbyshire: BEAT MATCHING VIRTUOSA," etc. God, I could kill someone) , the disco connection is solid.
Well you clobbered that one into the cheap seats AG. An excellent post if i may say so. I think all too often disco is classified only by the god awful pap that came towards the end of the genre, when it had reached its commercial critical mass. Early disco was the stepping stone that created a sort of embryonic rap and hip hop, and it surely is responsible for a great deal of danceable electronic music.

And now, for some great disco......
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

suitandtieguy

Post by suitandtieguy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:10 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:"Pierre Schaeffer, THE FIRST TURNTABLIST..." "Delia Derbyshire: BEAT MATCHING VIRTUOSA," etc. God, I could kill someone
what about "Bruce Haack: The King of Techno" or whatever that movie was. srsly wtf is wrong with these people? tell ya what Mr Gainsay ... i'll fuel the Crown Victoria up, put the Wiffle bats in the trunk, drive over to your house and we can go hipster hunting. no killing, let's just go take their MicroKorgs away or something.

i'd like to see a really good movie about either the Chicago or Detroit 80s scenes ... like 24-Hour Party People for the midwest basically. unfortunately that would never happen i think ... but the scene where the DJ is flipping out because he needs to come up with new material because his Casablanca twelve inches are all wearing out so bad he's got to throw them out would be priceless i'm sure.

at lease we have "Pump Up The Volume: A History of House" and "Universal Techno" ... even though you can't buy either of them on DVD which is IMHO a shame.

in answer to the original thread poster, yes.
http://stgsoundlabs.com is where i sell things
http://suitandtieguy.com is my personal/music website
http://suitandtieguy.livejournal.com is my LJ, no blogistan for STG yo.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:10 am

without getting off topic, h**l yes i acknowledge the importance of dance music as a whole, funnily enough EDM brought me into the world of synthesizers, and then my interests in music switched over from EDM to prog/metal. i still dabble into it and respect it, but it's definitely not my scene anymore.

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:57 am

:)
Last edited by Virgule on Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:57 am

:)
Last edited by Virgule on Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Post by Suburban Bather » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:27 pm

Arguing over the importance of a genre of music is pointless. You either like it or not. Here is a good doc. on Detroit techno, enjoy- http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... +tech+soul