Do you aknowledge the importance of dance music

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Dj Pound
Gear: Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Re: Do you aknowledge the importance of dance music

Post by Dj Pound » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:23 pm

fantastic discussion =D>

no love for old school R&B and Funk though!?!?! [-X
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:04 am

:)
Last edited by Virgule on Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yatmandu
Gear: reverse

Post by Yatmandu » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:01 pm

Virgule wrote:The whole thing sounds gay to me.
Congrats! We made it all the way until page 11 before this kind of comment made its mark. Dude, the xbox forums are at http://www.xbox.com ...did you get lost?

Yatmandu
Gear: reverse

Post by Yatmandu » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:05 pm

Dj Pound wrote:fantastic discussion =D>

Not so much for synths (unless talking about Hammonds and Rhodes), but definitely for bass, rhythm, percussion, and .... sampling (lol 8) )

Dj Pound
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Post by Dj Pound » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:36 pm

Yatmandu wrote:
Dj Pound wrote:fantastic discussion =D>

Not so much for synths (unless talking about Hammonds and Rhodes), but definitely for bass, rhythm, percussion, and .... sampling (lol 8) )
:mrgreen:
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

suitandtieguy

Post by suitandtieguy » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:23 pm

i don't even know what this thread is about anymore.
http://stgsoundlabs.com is where i sell things
http://suitandtieguy.com is my personal/music website
http://suitandtieguy.livejournal.com is my LJ, no blogistan for STG yo.

steveman

Post by steveman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:55 am

mrfrisky330 wrote:Modern dance music is soul-less, essentially talentless as its all done by combining samples and pre-bought dum patterns on a PC in about 10 minutes (I know a guy who creates sample CDs and club music for a living he showed me how easy it is), so no that rubbish does not keep this site alive its killing the synths off!!

PLUS, they mostly use modern keyboards not synths, Yamaha have loads out so do Korg aimed at the musically inept er modern dance/techno enthusiast who just wants to press preset buttons.

This site exists because of the genre wide range or artist who used and PROGRAMMED synths to create new and original pieces of music the likes of Kraftwerk, Ultravox, Visage, Pet Shop Boys, Kate Bush and a whole host of 80/90ss artists (who wrote and played their own songs something or a dying art in modern pop) as well as the prog rockers like marillion/pink floyd/genesis etc etc. Even today you have talented modern players pushing the boundaries of what synths can do and why not? After all if the unofficial God of synth work Gary Newman is still selling lots of records and gigging over 20 years after the groundbreaking "cars" it shows good music is timeless.

Who really can remember any trance or animal house or drum n bass from 3 years ago?? Whats difficult about creating thump thump boom boom duh duh duh deh deh dar??

If you want to talk about true quality dance music, go listen to the guy who practically singlehandedly invented the modern genre (and had a DX7!) - Michael Jackson
Thnak you for such a cogent, well thought out and above all calmly reasoned post. If only all the posts on VSE were like this #-o

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:00 pm

steveman wrote:
mrfrisky330 wrote:Modern dance music is soul-less, essentially talentless as its all done by combining samples and pre-bought dum patterns on a PC in about 10 minutes (I know a guy who creates sample CDs and club music for a living he showed me how easy it is), so no that rubbish does not keep this site alive its killing the synths off!!

PLUS, they mostly use modern keyboards not synths, Yamaha have loads out so do Korg aimed at the musically inept er modern dance/techno enthusiast who just wants to press preset buttons.

This site exists because of the genre wide range or artist who used and PROGRAMMED synths to create new and original pieces of music the likes of Kraftwerk, Ultravox, Visage, Pet Shop Boys, Kate Bush and a whole host of 80/90ss artists (who wrote and played their own songs something or a dying art in modern pop) as well as the prog rockers like marillion/pink floyd/genesis etc etc. Even today you have talented modern players pushing the boundaries of what synths can do and why not? After all if the unofficial God of synth work Gary Newman is still selling lots of records and gigging over 20 years after the groundbreaking "cars" it shows good music is timeless.

Who really can remember any trance or animal house or drum n bass from 3 years ago?? Whats difficult about creating thump thump boom boom duh duh duh deh deh dar??

If you want to talk about true quality dance music, go listen to the guy who practically singlehandedly invented the modern genre (and had a DX7!) - Michael Jackson
Thnak you for such a cogent, well thought out and above all calmly reasoned post. If only all the posts on VSE were like this #-o
i have to agree with steveman. it's easy to say modern dance music is soulless and the musicians are untalented, because that might be true for all the mainstream stuff. "dance" is a "genre" that has so much bullshit, but also a lot of GREAT stuff to offer. also stuff that is musically demanding. one just has to look for that good stuff.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:05 pm

Dj Pound wrote: no love for old school R&B and Funk though!?!?! [-X
I got into analog synths because of that type of music, no doubt.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:47 pm

i also enjoy funk that uses synths a lot

Dj Pound
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Post by Dj Pound » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:41 pm

nvbrkr wrote:
Dj Pound wrote: no love for old school R&B and Funk though!?!?! [-X
I got into analog synths because of that type of music, no doubt.
:lol: Bernie worrell, george duke, patrice rushen, bob james and herbie hancock.......blew my mind...they still do!
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

chordmemories

Post by chordmemories » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:33 pm

Can't believe I read this whole thread in one sitting.

Do you acknowlege the importance of jet airplanes on the history of airports?

Surprised that people are still sticking to the whole "dance music has no soul" argument. Every genre is its own language. If you can't speak it, what kind of assesment do you think you can make? Its kind of like flying to China and saying none of the signs make any sense and therefore madarin is a soulles (ie doesnt communicate with listener) language. Saying "I love you" sounds completely different in German and Italian, and yet the speaker's intent could be exactly the same. When I started listening to jazz, it took me a while to sort through all the notes, then to sort the head from the improv, and then the interactions of all of the players, and then the different versions of the same standards from different players and then different performances of the same songs by the same players. Now I can totally listen to my Coltrane box set of his band playing the same songs night after night on tour and enjoy the sometimes sublte and sometimes extreme differences that anyone outside of jazz would say are not present. This took months, and I am still learning. If anyone out there doesn't want to make this effort with techno/dance/whatever, they should acknowledge this and recuse themselves from the discussion.

Technique is a means to an end.

I am sure many people used to think, and still think, all synth music is soulless. The difference between Richard Barbieri and "some drugged-up kid with a cracked copy of reason" only makese sense to 1% of the population, if that.

The original question makes no sense. No offense.

redroomrecordings
Gear: Virus TI . Virus C . Blofeld . Maschine
Band: Distorted Memory / CAKEBUILDER

Post by redroomrecordings » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:32 am

chordmemories wrote:Can't believe I read this whole thread in one sitting.

Do you acknowlege the importance of jet airplanes on the history of airports?

Surprised that people are still sticking to the whole "dance music has no soul" argument. Every genre is its own language. If you can't speak it, what kind of assesment do you think you can make? Its kind of like flying to China and saying none of the signs make any sense and therefore madarin is a soulles (ie doesnt communicate with listener) language. Saying "I love you" sounds completely different in German and Italian, and yet the speaker's intent could be exactly the same. When I started listening to jazz, it took me a while to sort through all the notes, then to sort the head from the improv, and then the interactions of all of the players, and then the different versions of the same standards from different players and then different performances of the same songs by the same players. Now I can totally listen to my Coltrane box set of his band playing the same songs night after night on tour and enjoy the sometimes sublte and sometimes extreme differences that anyone outside of jazz would say are not present. This took months, and I am still learning. If anyone out there doesn't want to make this effort with techno/dance/whatever, they should acknowledge this and recuse themselves from the discussion.

Technique is a means to an end.

I am sure many people used to think, and still think, all synth music is soulless. The difference between Richard Barbieri and "some drugged-up kid with a cracked copy of reason" only makese sense to 1% of the population, if that.

The original question makes no sense. No offense.
YES. best statement yet.

this thread should end.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:12 pm

Who cares, all electronic music is nothing more than bells and whistles. Bleep Bloop Blop Beep.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.