Nice Fairlight demonstration

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Electroluver
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MS-20, M-500, Polysix, PAiA 4700, ROL309, C64 MSSIAH, JX8P, K2000J, SY-1010.
Band: DJ NAMELESS

Nice Fairlight demonstration

Post by Electroluver » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:52 pm

tim gueguen

Re: Nice Fairlight demonstration

Post by tim gueguen » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:02 pm

It just wouldn't be a Fairlight demo without an orchestral stab.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Dj Pound
Gear: Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Post by Dj Pound » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:21 pm

Thanks for posting! Ive always wanted to jump behind a Fairlight and go to town...um oh well wishful thinking :mrgreen:
BTW does anyone own an actual Fairlight here on VSE? Just curious to hear some first hand user opinions.
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Mr Rich
Gear: Excessive.

Post by Mr Rich » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:36 am

Dj Pound wrote:Thanks for posting! Ive always wanted to jump behind a Fairlight and go to town...um oh well wishful thinking :mrgreen:
BTW does anyone own an actual Fairlight here on VSE? Just curious to hear some first hand user opinions.
I've had a couple. Impressive kit for its day. I remember the first time I encountered one in the studio - I was blown away. It was a piece of gear that really made you see the gulf between the stuff that the average musician could afford and the stuff that the big names could afford. I could not afford one.

The Fairlight cost as much as a house.
A REALLY BIG house.

I got one eventually - a series II, once the prices had dropped to that of a half decent car. The light pen was constantly knackered on mine. Eventually I got my hands on a Series III which was much better all round. I had that right up to last year, when the reliability issues became too much for me. Just getting it to boot up drove me mad; I'd invariably end up on the floor pulling cards out and fiddling about with it. There's a marvelous grainy quality to the sound, particularly with strings and pads; stick a bit of that in a track in it sounded like nothing else. By todays standards it sounded a bit rubbish, but it's rather endearing! I knew I'd miss it, so the last thing I did was take this picture to remind me why a got rid of it:

I'm sure there are plenty of Fairlights out there that work perfectly, but I keep meeting the dodgy ones!
Mr Rich
(Eventually tired of Clint.)

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:47 pm

Here's Bob Moog demonstrating the Fairlight. Parts 2-6 (a few minutes each) can be linked from the first:

ItsMeOnly

Post by ItsMeOnly » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:48 am

Mr Rich wrote:Just getting it to boot up drove me mad; I'd invariably end up on the floor pulling cards out and fiddling about with it. There's a marvelous grainy quality to the sound, particularly with strings and pads; stick a bit of that in a track in it sounded like nothing else. By todays standards it sounded a bit rubbish, but it's rather endearing! I knew I'd miss it, so the last thing I did was take this picture to remind me why a got rid of it:

I'm sure there are plenty of Fairlights out there that work perfectly, but I keep meeting the dodgy ones!
And it looks like you had software updated without hardware updated as well. Was that a rev. 5 system? The "grainy" quality was often attributed to older rev. 5 systems. Newer systems (commonly 9.34) use different DA boards and Waveform Supervisor board (instead of Waveform Processor) - but there's software incompatibility. Plus, from the screen it looks like the software was upgraded to MFX, but I/O error might hint that MFX hardware was removed and only CMI boards were left.