I just grabbed a FIZMO!!!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

I just grabbed a FIZMO!!!

Post by balma » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:28 pm

h**l yeah!!!
:welcomeparty: :welcome:
Welcome to my full of smoke studio....

Almost all the web stuff about Fizmo is c**p.... tried to read something about it, and the VSE description is everywhere....

I'll put my best efforts to learn how to play this oddity and give a decent live act.

There some new videos, that maybe can give an idea how amazing this synth can be with a little bit of tweaks.....

His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Re: I just grabbed a FIZMO!!!

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:43 pm

This is the first time I've heard one, and on first impressions, I'm kind of impressed. I'm going to research this synth some more. Thanks for posting.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:56 pm

Me too. Obviously I have digged the web for it....

never found a decent performance, or at least, a demostration of its sounding properties.

those videos simple said: buy it!

Sounds so incredible. specially the second video, those howling-haunting morphing drones, made my flesh crawl

I'm in love.... :la:
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:07 pm

Congrads! From what I understand you were looking for one for a while.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:38 pm

That's a nice little piece of kit. I just played both videos at the same time and the sounds are incredible together.

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:02 pm

Oh, damn you! Now I want one too.

Congrats, btw. Great piece of weirdness and amazing sounds.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:26 pm

I can't simple wait.
The Fizmo has such a weird history as itself.

I remember when I saw this synth on a local dealer on 1999:

Me: what is that weird keyboard?

vendor: Wanna play it? Just let me show you how to play it, because actually all the guys that have come here, have been looking for the piano or the brass sound and they never find it....
this synth is not a common synth you must "keep the key pressed" to make it work. It produces sounds that morph on a long lapse of time....

They kept thast synth during 2 years on the same place, nobody wanted it.

The concept was really non commercial, and the tiny screen scared a lot of customers.

Some users have said, is too hard to include in a mix.

I think this is a h**l of a synth

The effects section, is one of the best ever on a digital synth. (41 algorythms effects), it has line in, and a vocoder.....

Actually it needs a sound diver software to edit patches properly according to some comments I read.

I have the commitment, to practice at least 3-4 hours every single day, until I find a good usage to its unearthly power.....

Hear the Tweak at 1"39....

is amazing how many shapes and variations you can find inside a single patch.

Any fan of dark ambient, will s**t on his pants with a Fizmo in front of it.

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:50 pm

congrats! Put up a youtube sometime - some lighting on that glorious 'blue metallic' surface would make nice visuals too...!
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

Gregor Samsa
Gear: Too much (not enough).

Post by Gregor Samsa » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:33 am

I love mine. Very odd machine, pretty awful to edit, but really great sounds.

impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld
Band: Grainshifter

Post by impaler42 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:46 am

really want a fizmo. i settled for an ensoniq sd-1, which apparently has an older version of the same transwave synthesis engine that the fizmo uses. However, it seems like the Fizmo is much more powerful since you can control so many of the parameters via knobs. Also, it just looks like such a beauty. Love the color.
electronic music forever

http://www.grainshifter.com[/url]

3rdConstruction
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, the true north strong and free(zing).

Post by 3rdConstruction » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:56 am

congratulations balma,

that is a fantastic catch. it sounds amazing in those demos & i'm sure you'll draw even more out of it. you better post some demos once you've had a chance to learn it!

i'm not understanding what this thing is, really. transwave synthesis? is it a version of wavetable synthesis? are the quoted filters digital? what can you tell us about it?
...speaking at length about something is no guarantee that understanding is advanced.

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:56 am

Yeah, I really love the color too. I think too many (at least the Big 3) companies make conservative black/silver keyboards and really get tired of that.

Anyways, those are good videos. You could say this is the original Evolver. But this thing does everything in a totally different way. The filters are digital and I've heard that there are a variety of filters, but only accessed through NRPNs. It's not bad to edit. There are submenus, but once you read the small manual, it becomes clear. It's easy, just read the manual. This synths can do some outstanding sounds though. 10 years later and still people haven't really tapped the potential of this synth. It's very organic and funky.

Basically Transwave synthesis uses in this case 128 single cycle waves. Basically, these 128 waves are lined up end to end. Each wave next to each other is generally similar sounding to make a more continuous sounding 'wave' cycle, but each wave can be completely different especially for more rhythmic stuff. The movement comes in by making this Oscillator (that contains the 128 waves in a row) move or switch between each of this 128 waves - So you can modulate the Osc to mess around with what wave is heard, in what order.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

Gregor Samsa
Gear: Too much (not enough).

Post by Gregor Samsa » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:49 am

I haven't found any trouble getting it into a mix as long as I keep in mind it isn't an 'every tune' synth, and use it for atmospheres and interesting pads and such. It would be extremely difficult to make it a bread and butter synth for sure because of it's character of sound and editing issues. But it really is one of my go-to synths when I need some special spices. Take it for what it is and it's a fabulous compliment to any rig.

Zarith
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Brek Zarith

Post by Zarith » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:49 pm

Thanks for these little demos balma :)

The first one is truly hypnotic. I love evolving sounds: hit one key, turn a few knobs and the journey begins... This is what makes synthesizers really unique. You'll never be able to do the same soundscapes with any other instruments.

mute

Post by mute » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:45 pm

had a roommate that had one of these... and he never used it, ever. had no idea what he owned.. shame. i've looked @ a few over the years since then but never picked one up.