Dear Synthy Santa

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Dear Synthy Santa

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:36 am

Dear Santa

I've been a good boy.

Please send me a well made, stand alone, (re hardware) Arp 2600 21st century version style synthesizer.

It could have an Arturia 2600V sound engine, (save costs etc) but it must have all the knobs and inputs housed in an Arp 2600 casing or shell.

It could be scaled down to 3/4 size.

No computer must be required.

Of course a rudimentary sequencer and arpeggiator couldn't hurt and a choice of polyphony, say if one wanted to deviate from a regular 2600 sound.

Also with MIDI and USB if it's not asking too much.

....and for less than $1000, please.

Thanks

PWPA
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Dear Synthy Santa

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:29 am

If you're going to wish for something unrealistic why don't you just wish for $500,000 so you can buy all the original 2600s you want?

I don't think you could make an empty 2600 case with all pots, knobs and jacks and sell it for $1000 retail without going out of business pretty quickly, at least not at the kind of quantities you'd expect to sell in the market for synths without patch memory. I suppose you could do it really cheaply like the korg MS20 controller, but look how that worked out for them, and it couldn't make any sounds by itself.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:49 am

You know, I don't think he's serious. ;)

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:59 am

Speaking of unrealistic, Santa just bring me oodles of talent I currently lack, this Christmas. Then I may work wonders with the gear I already possess.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Primal Drive

Post by Primal Drive » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:23 am

Phollop Willing PA wrote:Dear Santa

I've been a good boy.

Please send me a well made, stand alone, (re hardware) Arp 2600 21st century version style synthesizer.

It could have an Arturia 2600V sound engine, (save costs etc) but it must have all the knobs and inputs housed in an Arp 2600 casing or shell.

It could be scaled down to 3/4 size.

No computer must be required.

Of course a rudimentary sequencer and arpeggiator couldn't hurt and a choice of polyphony, say if one wanted to deviate from a regular 2600 sound.

Also with MIDI and USB if it's not asking too much.

....and for less than $1000, please.

Thanks

PWPA
So what you want is an Arturia Origin for under a $1K then.

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/pro ... intro.html
And then she said, "What the f...?"

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:37 am

Dear synthy santa,

please help me getting my thesis finally done, so I could allow myself to get a new synth. I haven't bought one in a year.

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:43 pm

Dear Synthy Santa,

Please give me a Moog Voyager OS, or you'll never see that mutant reindeer again.

Your Friend,

Christopher

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:48 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:You know, I don't think he's serious. ;)
Lulz belong in OT, General Synths is Serious Business.

Phollop Willing PA

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:25 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
OriginalJambo wrote:You know, I don't think he's serious. ;)
Lulz belong in OT, General Synths is Serious Business.
Or am I?

Think Korg MS 2000R. It was done for less than a grand, wasn't it? It had oodles of knobs etc, why can't something similar be done ARP 2600 style. Ok, I'd pay $1500 if it was really done well.
Primal Drive wrote: So what you want is an Arturia Origin for under a $1K then.

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/pro ... intro.html
It's not the same architecture/design as an ARP 2600 - but I do find the Origin interesting.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:52 pm

If someone did do something like that people would just complain that it didn't sound like the original though.

The MS2000 is a good example, I remember when I first got into synths I really wanted one cause I'd played around with a friend's MS-20 and loved it, and I thought the MS2000 was the same but newer and better. Then I realised that they didn't sound the same and I didn't like it any more, now I appreciate the sound for what it is, a great sounding modern synth.

A 2600 remake like you described would be a really niche product IMO because it has all the shortcomings of the old synth (you couldn't have patch memory if it was semi-modular) but because it was being built down to a price there would be some discrepancies with the sound compared to the original and so the purists would turn their noses up at it.

Keep in mind also that if it was digital each patch output would need a DA convertor and each input an AD one, which would push up the price considerably. The MS20i controller didn't run audio through the patch points, it was just done with logic so you couldn't put any external effects into the signal path or use it with other modular gear.

There is a lot of stuff out there that is functionally close (FR XS, various modulars, M5N, Dark Energy, Evolver, etc) but doesn't have the 2600 sound. We should be thankful for them and use them to their limits instead I think.

matia
Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Post by matia » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:29 pm

all i want for christmas is for my girlfriend to move to London with me ... and a Doepfer Dark Energy ;)

-matia

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:10 pm

Phollop,
So you really don’t care what it sounds like as long as it looks like a 2600? Admittedly, the 2600 looks cool and a half size VA 2600 would be cute but you’re really running into “what is the point” territory.

I was going to suggest that if you were thrifty and resourceful, you could probably build a fairly close approximation of a 2600 for < 1000. The expensive part of DIY synths are usually the panels and hardware. So if you bought bulk knobs, switches, jacks (particularly at a group-buy level) and electronic components, make your own circuit boards, you could do it. Of course if you wanted it to look very similar to a 2600, that is where you’ll either have to become very creative or spend some cash. Professional panels are expensive and a pro panel the size of a 2600 would be very expensive but there are alternatives for the creative. A eurorack sized mini 2600 would be cool (smaller jacks, smaller controls, etc. = smaller control surface). Of course you would be making some concessions on the components used but then so would any manufacturer and yours would probably be better anyway because you wouldn’t be using surface mount, all hand soldered/wired (people pay a lot for that in the amp world).
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Phollop Willing PA

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:55 pm

otto wrote:Phollop,
So you really don’t care what it sounds like as long as it looks like a 2600? Admittedly, the 2600 looks cool and a half size VA 2600 would be cute but you’re really running into “what is the point” territory. ......
Not true, as long as it sounds as 'Arpish" and acts and works (simulated) like an Arp 2600. You couldn't get it to be an exact replica without doing an analogue engine, but you could emulate with something like an Aturia 2600V sound engine.

That's what I'm asking Synthy Santa for.

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:16 pm

Phollop Willing PA wrote:Please send me a well made, stand alone, (re hardware) Arp 2600 21st century version style synthesizer.
i'll ignore the "under $1000" part.

maybe you need a MacBeth M5
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:48 pm

I want less gear this Christmas. I've sold nearly everything already. :D
soundcloud.com/vectron