Blofeld vs TI

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Re: Blofeld vs TI

Post by Joey » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:58 pm

basically the way the samples work is that you have to load them all at once from the spectre application on your computer, you can't sample directly into the blofeld

what I've read on the user forum is that it takes a bit of time to upload, and you cant just load one or two samples, you have to load them all at once

polyphony is reduced to the same amount as if you'd be using wavetables (which is good, because its still around 8-10 voices)

if you check out stefan trippler's site, he has a ton of demos using samples on the blofeld and it sounds pretty amazing
tallowwaters wrote:Hey, why don't you put on your best scarf and bring some gorgeous bitches down to NC and I'll even let you sing on it.

Really though, I think I am going to try the internet collaboration for vocals on this one. Maybe I can get one or two people to throw out something...
also is this a serious offer? haha, i'd be down.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

drsynth
Gear: Arrick 88 modular Blofeld MicroWaveXT MicroQ Matrix6 VirusTI Prophet8 Lead 2X DX7II TX816 Arp Axxe PAIA P4700J R3 Drumtraks FIZMO
Band: Kindred Lost

Post by drsynth » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:16 pm

tallowwaters wrote:Hey, thanks for the in depth look. Only a few more songs with the TI, then it's Blofeld for me. Any insight on how well the sample playback is implemented?
Don't know. I have the desktop. I was one of the first to get this machine. I've not really kept up with the newer keyboard models. I want one but then again I want a FIZMO, A6 and Memotron too. Priorities.

-David
-I was a teenage synthaholic-

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:48 pm

Joey wrote:basically the way the samples work is that you have to load them all at once from the spectre application on your computer, you can't sample directly into the blofeld

what I've read on the user forum is that it takes a bit of time to upload, and you cant just load one or two samples, you have to load them all at once

polyphony is reduced to the same amount as if you'd be using wavetables (which is good, because its still around 8-10 voices)

if you check out stefan trippler's site, he has a ton of demos using samples on the blofeld and it sounds pretty amazing
tallowwaters wrote:Hey, why don't you put on your best scarf and bring some gorgeous bitches down to NC and I'll even let you sing on it.

Really though, I think I am going to try the internet collaboration for vocals on this one. Maybe I can get one or two people to throw out something...
also is this a serious offer? haha, i'd be down.
I figured as much, why I used the phrase 'sample playback' rather than sampler, which is cool since I mostly just load s**t from the computer nowadays.

Deadly serious too. You might not believe this, but there is a shortage of people wanting to lay down vocals on electro/industrial/dub/postpunk/hiphop albums here in Rural f**k, NC.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:08 am

tallowwaters wrote:I mostly bought it for the wavetable capabilities, but truth be told, it seems to be lacking in the higher frequencies, which sort of negates all the ways of modulating the tables. ..
that was my exact impression of the TI2 kbd, and all other viruses btw. as if the bandwith is limited in higher end, lacking detail. i do like this dark character for some virus-specific stuff, but its a poor choice for wavetabling, granular etc.. where most interesting stuff happens up there in HF range. Waldorf is no brainer choice for this - de facto standard for wavetabling. it can get really sharp, metallic, dirty etc.

i think Blofeld is a good choice. and you will have some leftover money for other things.
tallowwaters wrote:but I still have the need for a pad/ambience/ethereal machine and I was wondering how well the Blofeld would fit the bill, especially in how it would compete with the wavetable dept and how quickly I can dial up a useful sound.
Blo vs. XT:

XT can get very dirty/gritty and sometimes harsh (in a good way). illbient/metallic colision/doom/"creature from the swamp" stuff is where it excells at. at least, that's what i use it for.

Blofeld is hifi smooth, much better choice for aetheral/ambient smooth pads. not a drop-in replacement for TI pads, but still very nice in their own way. it has options to get distorted n dirty, but i don't like the results that much. otoh its easy enough to stuck a fuzz pedal or something u like on the output.

having samples arround is very promising. haven't really explored enough how u can mangle them thru the synth engine.

XT user interfaceis faster. but i really like how they did it in Blo. not a deal breaker.

if they iron all the bugs, its a good candidate.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:38 pm

Wait a minute...so the upgrade to the blofeld is for actual "audio samples" and not just waveforms/tables like the monomachine mkII does? So if I sampled any real world sound I could load that in to use? Sorry if the answer is online already. I am looking through their site right now. This is relevant to my interest.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:45 pm

yep.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:56 pm

drsynth wrote:The multi mode was another prickly-point but I have recorded whole songs with it in multi mode. It just works different from say the Q or XT which are a bit easier to set up in multi mode. More menu mangling on the Blofeld.
So exactly what are the multimode issues?

I pretty much live in multi mode since all I do is sequencing. Bugginess reports have kept putting me off Blofeld... :?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

colmon

Post by colmon » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:41 pm

surely the bugs are ironed out by now? i've been thinking of selling everything in my "studio" and just using one synth (and the mpc). this thread is making me think that a blofeld is the way forward for me.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:23 pm

I think drsynth is just talking about setting up multis. It's not too tricky, but a bit of menu fiddling involved. Multi mode works fine for me, over DIN MIDI. People have mentioned some issues but I'm not sure what they are. The main problem I've come across is MIDI clock not syncing straight away when patches are changed, you need to tweak a parameter to get it to lock. Other than that it's OK.

Also there is an OS update due soon, currently in beta.

colmon

Post by colmon » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:15 pm

cool, thanks for the info

these things are so cheap right now i think i can live with a couple of mild os quirks

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:52 am

Everyone in the thread was telling the truth on the blofeld's ability to get dirty and angry. =D> 8-)

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:19 am

colmon wrote:surely the bugs are ironed out by now? i've been thinking of selling everything in my "studio" and just using one synth (and the mpc). this thread is making me think that a blofeld is the way forward for me.
i've been thinking along similar (if somewhat less drastic) lines, and now i'm thinking: blofeld + v-synth (get rid of my emu and mpc/sequence in new protools' sibelius features)= crazy synth and sound design bliss.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by RobotHeroes » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:26 am

code green wrote:i've been thinking along similar (if somewhat less drastic) lines, and now i'm thinking: blofeld + v-synth (get rid of my emu and mpc/sequence in new protools' sibelius features)= crazy synth and sound design bliss.
I've had GAS for a v-synth xt for a year. I have the SL upgrade on the way from nova but the v-synth's elastic audio is a whole other story. A blofeld and a v-synth would be a pretty strong combo.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:46 pm

So tallow, you didn't get on with the blofeld. Give us a rundown. Now that you are selling the blowfeld and TI, do you know what you want next?
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:46 pm

I am going the Rockit approach and flogging off s**t that doesn't really grab me instantly. After about 5 minutes, all I could think was 'f**k this, where's the XT?' Now if the 'feld had about 30 more potentiometers, we would be in business, but like I said in my FS ad, I just can't stand non detented encoders. They ruined the MEK (the perfect sounding synth for me) and I know it is going to drive me ape s**t on this thing.

I don't know, I know I could spend more time with it and finally get along, but I am slowly realizing that while I love playing with wavetables, I never really use them in my music. I'm also downsizing my setup or planning on going to back to my original setup of Emax II and Evolver and maybe an older digital synth, which I usually enjoy. Either way, I have umpteen million Fizmo, XT, and various software synth wavetables loaded into the V Synth, which has been and always will be a dream to edit, so I'm not really losing any potential to make twinkly/shimmery sounds either way.

I also had a MicroSampler for a grand total of 5 days before I returned it, piece of s**t it was. How they can call that thing a keyboard sampler is merely insulting for those of us that cut our teeth on the real s**t.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.