Jupiter 6 Europa?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
chasesynth

Jupiter 6 Europa?

Post by chasesynth » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:45 am

Is it worth it to upgrade my Jupiter 6 with the Europa mod, if I am currently running OS X?

From what I've read on Synthcoms website, it appears I wouldn't be able to tap into the benefits of the upgrade unless I had a dedicated old mac running OS 9 to edit the parameters on...

Please someone prove me wrong.

Thanks!

Lophophora

Re: Jupiter 6 Europa?

Post by Lophophora » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:36 am

From the website:

What platform/operating systems does the update utility run on?

It runs on Windows 95/98/NT 4.0/2000/XP/ME/Vista and Mac OS-9 based Macintosh systems. We are currently looking for someone to adapt it to OS-X.

Apparently, the intention is there. :beg:

matia
Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Post by matia » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:01 am

well you can always edit onboard the Jupiter. It's a bit clunky and sometimes confusing (have that pdf manual open) but it works, however, the most immediate change you will notice without the comp is the MIDI timing. i did a test sending a bar of straight 16th's off of my mpc2000xl with the europa on and then with it off on the Jupiter and the difference was huge. booting the jupiter in its original firmware/os notes would drop, timing would waver, and it just wasn't what was programmed in the sequencer. with the europa turned on, it was exactly what was punched into the sequencer!

-matia

(ps i did the same test on a studio electronics se-1x and the timing was horrible!)

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:19 am

chasesynth wrote:Is it worth it to upgrade my Jupiter 6 with the Europa mod, if I am currently running OS X?

From what I've read on Synthcoms website, it appears I wouldn't be able to tap into the benefits of the upgrade unless I had a dedicated old mac running OS 9 to edit the parameters on...

Please someone prove me wrong.

Thanks!
yeah- just mail in the cpu board & have them switch it for you (and the battery). Europa is really an extraordinary modification, it adds all kinds of functionality to the synth. i never needed to use the update utility, i think this would be used if they ever released a newer version or wanted to switch back to the old Roland OS (which you will never want to do anyways).

matia
Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Post by matia » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:42 am

you can switch to the old roland os on the jupiter 6 panel. you don't need any comp./software to switch between roland/europa os.

-matia

atom

Post by atom » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:16 am

thhe midi implementation looks simple enough, you could create a editor for the jup very quickly in any DAW (it uses CC messages for the patch parameter stuff), and if you want advanced sysex based stuff a ctrlr panel could be made quickly too http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... ead#unread
----------------
http://ctrlr.org
----------------

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:16 pm

Hells yeah! For starters, you'll be able to change the MIDI Channel (a stock JP-6 is stuck in OMNI mode unless you plug a MIDI cable into both IN & OUT when you power up and then play some notes then remove cable - now JP-6 is on channel 1).

You get the random patch generator, enchanced arpeggiator (including clock divider and MIDI sync) and lot of other goodies.

Here's a video I made a year ago showing the clock divider:

chasesynth

Post by chasesynth » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Thanks everyone!

So it sounds like you can edit all the new europa parameters right on the jupiter itself?

I guess I just figured you would need the software to create layered patches, and access the extra memory banks, ext....

waveterm
Gear: A lot more than you

Post by waveterm » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:31 pm

Every parameter can be set using the Jupiter-6 front panel. There is no need for the editor.

Upgrade it now !

WT
Just a guy with a bunch of blue things.......now, move on !

7Hz

Post by 7Hz » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:23 pm

There is no Europa 'editor software' or any other external software like that.

The only external software for Europa is the Europa operating system update program. You use this to update the operating system, which is a rare to non-existent event.

If you have an operating system that doesn't work with the Europa update, and you want to update your synth, then you just need to find a computer that it does work with, and plug the synth into that. It's a 5 minute process that you may do once, if at all.
MPC-4000, Jupiter 6, Pro-One, MS-10, Arp Axxe, Ensoniq VFX, MKS-30 + PG200, (Casio VL Tone, Drumtrax, R5, DR-110...)

waveterm
Gear: A lot more than you

Post by waveterm » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:59 pm

That´s true, I haven´t even bothered to look at what was included on the CD-Rom.

WT
Just a guy with a bunch of blue things.......now, move on !

wjmwpg
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: LoveRock, T40, MG500, JX10 4.0, D-50, Juno 60, VZ10M, CZ1, HT6000, K3m, SX240, Lambda, DSS1, Yamaha SY2, DX11, SQ80, MultiTrak, SammichSID
Band: Gospel Choirs

Post by wjmwpg » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:55 pm

I don't think I have to add much about how great the europa kit is.

I would however like to quickly add for anyone out there who's skittish about tampering with a vintage board, that the support from Jeffrey at Synthcom is amazing.

My tech encountered a number of small issues with my JP6 after installing Europa, and Jeffrey was on the phone helping in every way he could to make sure my tech could trace and repair all the problems. Jeffrey even made long distance phone calls back to my tech to check up on his progress and offer more help if needed.

My tech has been repairing all manner of musical equipment (especially stuff like rare, old organs and mixing boards, etc.), for over 25 years and told me that he's never dealt with more helpful, and truly concerned people as those selling Europa at Synthcom.

So if you're a little nervous about altering a vintage classic for fear of the can of worms it might open, fear not! Jeffrey has already encountered just about every problem that might arise when installing Europa, and he will gladly help your tech (or you) work through the issues until they're all resolved. Synthcom rocks.

iphoenix

Post by iphoenix » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:12 am

Yeah , Europa looks nice, but I like my J6 the way it is.
Im not interested in midi clocking /sequencing the J6 or the new Arp patterns.. I can use the JP8000 / Z1/ K5000S to send complex Arp patterns if I want to.. I like the feel of the J6 Arp the way it is.
The only thing that really interests me about Europa upgrade is the ability to Layer patches & the simultaneous 2 way sync function.
I would far prefer to get an Oakley mod done on my J6 than the Europa mod. ( He has offered to put a different ' noise chip' in mine, says it sounds better than the stock one, though I like the stock one myself)
Does the Europa mod actually effect the timbre much ? & if so how ?

paulh
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by paulh » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:17 pm

iphoenix wrote: Does the Europa mod actually effect the timbre much ? & if so how ?
not that i can hear, some times i think it phases it's so in tune , which isn't exactly ideal. but only sometimes...

vel to filter or volume is priceless on it though.

iphoenix

Post by iphoenix » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:11 am

Velocity to filter would be cool ..albeit from external control

I just want to say that despite what I wrote in my last post I think that anyone who is making mods for vintage synthesizers & or designing new hardware synthesizers is doing great work & I admire them for it.

Europa & Linntronics , Oakley design etc & Dave Smith & John Bowen , kudos to you