Real analog or VA?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Real analog or VA?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:51 pm

Rangoon wrote:
projectwoofer wrote:...and in the end it's music that counts, no?
Not necessarily. It's the money....and it doesn't weigh in favor of VAs. All of my real analog is worth around 50% more than what I paid for it, whereas any VA bought around the same time would now be worth at least 50% less...
So does that mean my synths are better than yours because I bought them with money made from music and I've made at least their cost back using them?

No, no it doesn't. They're musical instruments, they're for making music with. Sure there are some fetishists out there that just buy synths so they know they own them, but if there's anything that Ferris Bueller's Day Off taught us it's that people like this are uptight j**k whose kids will destroy the one thing they love and then sit at the bottom of a swimming pool.

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:01 am

I like em both ways :lol:
Stab Frenzy wrote: if there's anything that Ferris Bueller's Day Off taught us it's that people like this are uptight j**k whose kids will destroy the one thing they love and then sit at the bottom of a swimming pool.

And also an extremely expensive Emulator II or III can sample snoring sounds to fool your parents with .

Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:05 am

You can make fun of VCO-purists as much as you want, but not recognizing the undeniable superiority of analog tape is just sheer ignorance.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:12 am

nvbrkr wrote:You can make fun of VCO-purists as much as you want, but not recognizing the undeniable superiority of analog tape is just sheer ignorance.
Just to make sure the water is even muddier than it is already, let's just mention every x is better than y argument, shall we? Mac/PC, valve/transistor, discrete/integrated blablabla. OK???

nvbrkr

Post by nvbrkr » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:12 am

Coke.

jeeroj
Gear: sh-101, x0xb0x(x2), tr-606, korg es-1, half dead mc-303 and some boss micro racks

Post by jeeroj » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:00 am

pepsi
Debut Album out now jeeroj - Selected Acid Works 08-11
check the review HERE first

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:10 am

nvbrkr wrote:You can make fun of VCO-purists as much as you want, but not recognizing the undeniable superiority of analog tape is just sheer ignorance.
You're right, editing tape is awesome fun. :P At least when you're recording a band to tape they have to get the performance right first time, as opposed to the endless takes in tools and then spending hours comping later.

Rangoon

Post by Rangoon » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:21 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Rangoon wrote:
projectwoofer wrote:...and in the end it's music that counts, no?
Not necessarily. It's the money....and it doesn't weigh in favor of VAs. All of my real analog is worth around 50% more than what I paid for it, whereas any VA bought around the same time would now be worth at least 50% less...
So does that mean my synths are better than yours because I bought them with money made from music and I've made at least their cost back using them?

No, no it doesn't. They're musical instruments, they're for making music with. Sure there are some fetishists out there that just buy synths so they know they own them, but if there's anything that Ferris Bueller's Day Off taught us it's that people like this are uptight j**k whose kids will destroy the one thing they love and then sit at the bottom of a swimming pool.
They're not purely musical instruments. They're just as much finanacial instruments, whether anyone likes it or not. If synth "A" returns x dollars from its employment, and synth "B" would also return the same x dollars from its employment (as a substitute for synth A)....then synth B is the better choice if it's disposal value appreciates while at the same time synth A's disposal value would depreciate.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:43 am

redchapterjubilee wrote: I guess since you thought the LP was a Mopho then I must not have recorded the Moog properly to show off its voltage-controlled nature. Alas.
I really didn't try very hard so maybe that's a fail on my part. I made my guess off of a laptop while being distracted. I do wonder why you didn't use more voltage control though. I usually add voltage control after the fact to make my songs really jump. I'll layer the voltage control, I'll chain the voltage control, I'll back-mask with voltage control. You have to control the voltage and not let the voltage control you.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Post by vin14 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:17 pm

I thought we were past this years ago!

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:17 pm

otto wrote:You have to control the voltage and not let the voltage control you.
Word.

On that note, I'm going to record my stylophone with a dictaphone to make it sound acoustic!

nvbrkr

Post by nvbrkr » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:21 pm

vin14 wrote:
I thought we were past this years ago!
I know. Sarcasm died sometime in 2005 or 2006.

Though honestly speaking, the old ecordings of wind instruments on jazz LPs are pretty damn nice. The distorted flutes / clarinets in particular. I think the tape has a lot to do with the sound, as well as with how the drums sound.
Last edited by nvbrkr on Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nvbrkr

Post by nvbrkr » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:34 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote: OK. On my record label's website http://www.sinkholetexas.com you can listen to a free track beside my most recent album Kill Screen. .
I'll just pick up a few things I like or don't like as much about it.

The sounds that I liked the most were at 0:00 and around 6:05. i.e. the sound the whole thing starts with and the brassy stuff. I could personally live without the sound heard between 1:58-2:30. My prejudiced mind would probably associate those as 0:00 = VCO, 6:05 = DCO and 1:58 = VA, but I might be wrong. My Voyager can sound sort of lifeless or "VA'ish" on the higher frequency stuff, so I assume the LP will do that too sometimes. Since you already mentioned the delay was from a digital modeling unit, I think it's quite apparent. Not that it would sound bad, but I've soaked everything in analog / tape delay myself for ages, so I think I can hear the difference.

Nice track though.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:58 pm

this thread is so WIN. I've advanced to 5th level Synthgeek just by skimming along :bored:
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:07 pm

Rangoon wrote:They're not purely musical instruments. They're just as much finanacial instruments, whether anyone likes it or not. If synth "A" returns x dollars from its employment, and synth "B" would also return the same x dollars from its employment (as a substitute for synth A)....then synth B is the better choice if it's disposal value appreciates while at the same time synth A's disposal value would depreciate.
My mistake, I didn't realise this was Vintage Synth Investor.