Filter Recommendations

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Re: Filter Recommendations

Postby redchapterjubilee » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:44 pm

tallowwaters wrote:I found that too, but only using the parallel connectors on the side. No noise from the Philtre using the 1/4" outs when I had one.

I like to hook them all together like that and use them as a big instrument without anything going into them. The Philtre is way so noisy that way and compressed and tweaked through the Bitrman is good fun. They are nowhere near that noisy through the 1/4".

Oh yeah. the Philtre is cool and is usually had cheap. I liked the overall sound of a Filter Queen I borrowed from a friend but noticed the LFO clicked at the beginning of each wave cycle. I didn't like that. The MFB filter could work but I don't like that filter much. It's too squirty for me, not as ballsy as I like. One of the few pieces of gear I ever regret having sold was the Frostwave Resonator. Basically the Korg MS-20 filter in a pedal, and I bought it for less than $200 (though good luck with that now!) It was nasty mean and howled like crazy! I like feeding the LP's filter, it just sounds so sweet. The Moog stand-alone filter probably sounds just the same. I also like to program a sequence inside the Mopho and feed audio into, and have the filter sequenced in MIDI sync. Those are creeping under $300 used now. What I'm waiting for is the Korg stylophone thingy with the analog filter in. The Youtube video I saw the other day feeding a drum machine into it sounded filthy. It sounded like the MS filter family, though I'm sure it's not the same filter, but it was raunchy like that. And at $60-$70...could be hard to resist.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS
redchapterjubilee

Postby c.circuits » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:33 pm

I honestly haven't seen BlueLantern's name thrown around too much in these parts. I remember a little while back he was catching h**l in multiple places by building vcf clones and just selling them outright as his own; without patent or permission...something like that?

At the moment though he's been selling MS-20 filter clones via the 'bay. I think his reserves are usually around $80 or so? Case looks like s**t but sounds interesting imo

He's got a steiner vcf left over from a previous run a year or so ago also

I've never honestly laid hands on his creations but just wanted to throw that out there being that the subjects on relatively cheap filters....and really to h**l with electrix.
c.circuits

Postby clusterchord » Tue May 11, 2010 9:40 am

ditto on MF-101

also, under $200 you can find these two filter+envelope follower pedals: DOD440 and MXR Envelope Filter. former is the revered Radiohead guitar filter, very nice in its own right but havent tried it on drums. i kept the latter, i'm using it all the time on rhodes, and sometimes on loops/beats. neither is overly flexible compared to rack units or modular stuff, but the sound is just phenomenal.

one Alesis modfx pedal i really liked, esp on drum machines, was their bit-crush pedal, Bitrman. also nice if you followed it with a filter in the chain.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc
clusterchord

Band: Nimbus Dei

Postby Scories » Tue May 11, 2010 8:39 pm

Not exactly cheap, not exactly analog, but I really appreciate the Eventide's ModFactor modfilter: dual modulation and stereo spread; you could not get that from an analog filter and the sound is super sweet. Not a good choice for howling hi-res filtering though.
Scories

Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Postby trevordutton » Sun May 16, 2010 7:38 am

For that price check out the Peavey Spectrum Analog rack mount. It's got a decent envelop follower and some other features (like midi triggering) that not many filters have. I heard it was based on the circuit design of the moog filter, and does sound similar. The resonance can positively squeal too . . .
trevordutton

Gear: Polivoks, FR XS, MS20, MEK, Blue Lantern modular, DRM MK111, Waldorf Pulse, Mini and Microbrutes, Analog filters galore

Postby guitarsandsynths » Sun May 16, 2010 5:19 pm

+1 mf101.
I got mine for 100 bucks! :)
It sounds really good and has a nice interface. Built like a tank, and looks damn nice!
On the super cheap you can get the EH Doctor Q. I got mine off craigslist for 20 bucks.
Minimoog ModelD Prophet5 Roland Jupiter8 SH7 GR9 CSQ100 TR606 TR707 TR727 Oberheim OB8 ARP2600 KorgVC10 Rhodes73 Wurlitzer 200A ClavinetII DOTCOM PearlDRX1 TamaTS202 Simmons SDS9
guitarsandsynths

Band: Brazility

Postby Str8Sounds » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:45 pm

I just bought the DigiTech Synth Wah envelope filter. I got it gently used at Guitar Center for just $39.99. I'm running a Korg Monotron Duo pocket synth through it and love it.

Envelope filters have always been my favorite effects pedal. This one is really a wild psychedelic freak box.
It delivers a matrix of 7 different synth effects -- envelope up, envelope down, synth tone 1 (opening envelope) , synth tone 2 (closing envelope), filter sweep 1 (SynthTalk), filter sweep 2 (SynthTalk with inverse filter envelope) , and continuous automated wah.

Plus -- CIT cabinet modeling and control knobs governing trigger sensitivity, synth attack, filter sweep shape, cut-off frequency, frequency envelope, speed, and wah range.

I tested this at the Guitar Center pedal station, running an electric guitar through it.

After playing about 3 chords, I was convinced that I had to get this right now to add to my ever expanding Str8 Sounds equipment. The sales guy said, "That was fast!" :)

Gear freaks, the owners manual PDF can be found here:

[url]http://rdn.harmanpro.com/…/17_…/SynthWahManualV_original.pdf[/url]
Str8Sounds

Previous

Return to Sound Production