What got you into synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
CZ Rider

Re: What got you into synths?

Post by CZ Rider » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:51 pm

bluedad wrote:On the Monkee's tv show one Monday back in the 60's had a segment that featured Mickey Dolenz's moog modular..which was also used on a couple songs from their 'Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jone, ltd' lp
Wow! That's going way back. This video?

I'm old enough to remember that and being impressed. :D
For me the music from the late 60's and early 70's made me want to know more about these synthesizers. But an article in Popular Science I read in the school library about building your own synthesizer, made me realize I could actually afford one. Played my first Minimoog late in 1973, and by spring of 1974 spent $850 on a used, one month old Mini. Never been without a synthesizer since.

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:59 pm

memory cords wrote:
My friend had a Commodore C64 computer which had a kind of mini-synthesizer built into it. I remember some of the games had very cool soundtracks which got me interested in instrumental synth music.
Yes the sid chip.. There are projects to actually take the sid sound chip and turn it into a midi box.

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:03 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Hearing Steve Miller Band's "Fly Like an Eagle" on the radio in the car,.
The synth bit at the end of the song sounds so huge.. its like no more sound can come out of my speakers.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:08 pm

hackers soundtrack.

That movie also concreted my career choice of becoming a software engineer.

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:29 pm

Probably the BBC Micro... it had a multi channel sound chip quite similar(but not as sophisticated) to the SID chip and some of music written for those early 80's games was really good all things considered - anyone remember Firetrack??

It was the BBC Micro that was the hub of Vince Clarkes studio for years running the infamous UMI Music Sequencer (a system I've always wanted to have a play with as it would be really bizarre to drive the entire studio from an ancient 8 bit computer with Teletext graphics!!)

It's most definitely what got me into music for games and the early demo scene.

The BBC Micro, Commadore 64, Atari ST, Amiga and Archimedes computers all had great sound and Sound Tracker on the Amiga was just amazing for 1987 - something not so far off a Fairlight CMI running entirely in software on a home computer.... magical times!!

Having spent a number of years learning the ropes with SoundTracker I bought my first synth in 1989 - a Yamaha V50 - a synth I had for years and have only recently came to the conclusion it was one of the best and noise free 4-OP FM synths Yamaha made - it was quieter and more flexible than the infamous TX81Z.

The BBC Micro & It's TI SN76489 Sound Chip:

The TI SN76489 Explained

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:43 pm

megamanx wrote:depeche mode
Yeah, that pretty much sealed the deal for me. Hearing a copy of Some Great Reward on a friend's tape in 1984 sucked me in. All of a sudden I wanted a synth. They were mysterious machines that sounded That. f**k. Cool.

Having said that, the foundation had been laid years before by a combination of influences that I didn't specifically realize were done on synthesizers, but which sounded good to my young ears. Some are slightly less embarrassing than others to admit to:

- several songs by Abba
- Steve Miller's "Fly Like An Eagle"
- The Captain & Tennille's "Muskrat Love"
- much of the Bee Gee's mid-'70s output
- post-Gabriel Genesis
- early Howard Jones
- Styx's "Mr. Roboto"
- Supertramp's "Fool's Overture"
- the first four or five OMD albums
- Blondie's "Heart Of Glass",

.... and a few dozen other songs and artists that were floating around on the MOR radio stations my parents listened to in the '70s and '80s.

That, and many, many trips during my youth to the McLaughlin Planetarium in Toronto. Their composer always had a spacey sensibility that sounded huge to my impressionable mind.

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:03 am

Chicks. :lol: And chicks dug Depeche Mode and New Order. Personally, it was DEVO on SCTV.

schmidtc

Post by schmidtc » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:14 am

drugs>raves>techno>synths.

colorbars
Gear: Juno-60, ESQ-1, Mopho, Micron, Poly 61, MS2000R, DX-7, DX-21, M-VS1, ES-1 mkII, Monotron, ESI32, TR-505, EA-1

Post by colorbars » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:56 am

80's stuff like joy division and the like turned me onto synths but i never really pursued it until i got into music like wolfparade, that great jupiter 4 sound did it for me.

invisibleairwaves
Gear: Alesis Micron
Yamaha DX-7
Yamaha TX-7
Fender Hwy 1 Stratocaster
PRS SE Soapbar II
Squier Standard Stratocaster

Post by invisibleairwaves » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:33 am

The Exit...Stage Left version of Xanadu by Rush. It's kinda weird, because the synths are fairly minor in that song, but the huge, warm sound just blew me away. And then the later 80's stuff turned me on to digital synths in a big way.
¯\(°_o)/¯

computron
Band: Computron

Post by computron » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:18 pm

old school Doctor Who synth sound mayhem and John Carpenter music and what got me to love vocoders would have to be soundwave from the orginal tranformers doctor who again and cylons form the 80's ands Not to forget the sounds of the atari 2600 with kangagoo millipede and centipede dig dug star wars taz bezerk and yars revenge!!!
Living the Electro Life

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:43 pm

Gary Numan 'Cars'. Was in first grade at the time. Was so enamored with it that I brought the K-Tel album to school to play in music class.

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:04 pm

My Folks record collection ... namely Pink Floyd : Good bye blue sky , Phil Collins : In the Air tonight
Add that +
the majority of the 80's movie soundtracks and I thought synths were a common thing in all bands , much to my dismay when everyone around me in high school thought they were punk rock and they were then fake , safe , uncool ... till I found Ministry and Front 242 . It was then that I knew I had to have one (or 10) !
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:08 pm

We had a music shop for years. I became conscious of synths around the era of the D5/D10/D70/U20/JD800.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:52 pm

Early 90's techno, trance, rave and ambient music.