selling a synth you planned to re-purchase

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Re: selling a synth you planned to re-purchase

Post by 8bit9bot » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:39 pm

Cumulus wrote:That means there are a few things I want that I don't have (not too many at this point but a few) but I also have gotten a lot of gear for my money and i have more money left over for bills and life expenses..
At this point the only reason i have any gear is because i managed to get good deals. My TX802 was given to me by a friend. Also my D-550 i got for ~$250... it came w/ a bunch of memory cards and i managed to sell them for over $100 total. My FB01 was $20 + shipping. From now on... i'm not selling anything i dont want to sell.

Yeah we wish we had a less expensive wedding at this point... we both said if we did it again we'd elope.

Rusty O'Hara

Post by Rusty O'Hara » Sat May 01, 2010 12:05 am

Roland TB-303

Had four of them at one point, but sold them all as people offered stupid money for them, what can you do?

Have always intended (and did before I sold them) to have two, one original and one devilfished, but not prepared to pay the stupid money that some people think they are worth.

Radikal Technologies Spectralis 2

Just recently sold this one... missing it a tiny bit.

Absolutely fantastic sounding machine, but not the right time for me. If/when the manual is finished and if I'm ever playing lots of live gigs, then I *may* pick another one up, but just wasn't getting enough use. Sold it to a friend of a friend who is in a better position then me to use it.

Apart from that, haven't really regretted selling much else / sold something with the intention of buying it back later.

Theres a lot of gear that I've sold, and wouldn't mind still having, but they were sold to fund something else, and no regrets about the trade.

I've trained my body to live on only coffee, cigarettes and noodles during the hard times :mrgreen:

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sat May 01, 2010 1:49 am

JV-1080. Might be getting another this weekend though. I just never used it, but if I needed a piano, it was there. If I needed "Insomnia" Pizzicato strings, they were there. It was just kind of a deep instrument and it was hard to really get to know.
soundcloud.com/vectron

n3wt15
Gear: a never ending cycle of ins and outs
Band: Armageddon Party

Post by n3wt15 » Sun May 02, 2010 3:31 am

I have boughten a few things multiple times because of missing them, Im currently on my third rs7000, and actually have it for sale at the same time haha.
I used to say there were things I miss, but now ive come to terms that I just have a buying and selling addiction with synths, and I will never have the perfect setup that I think I'm looking for...so whenever something comes in my hands, I'll use it as much as I can until I get bored, get a good offer, or see something that makes me want to clean house.

When I get new synths now, my friends joke to me saying "how long is that one sticking around", im sure im not the only one here either ;-)

I have a hard time saving money if I see a good deal on something, but I cant complain, I'm 25, have zero debt (because i refuse to get a credit card haha), about 25k in equipment that Ive aquired through the years, and a wife who doesn't care when I get a large package in the mail that says fragile :-)

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sun May 02, 2010 4:04 am

I bought a SPS-1 UW mkII a couple of years ago that I never had time to really mess with, so I sold it last December while the resell price was still good knowing I could get another later on. What little time I spent with it, I really enjoyed and do plan to get another when I have the time to really appreciate it.

Rusty O'Hara

Post by Rusty O'Hara » Sun May 02, 2010 5:00 am

n3wt15 wrote:I used to say there were things I miss, but now ive come to terms that I just have a buying and selling addiction with synths
Hi. :ugeek:
n3wt15 wrote:When I get new synths now, my friends joke to me saying "how long is that one sticking around", im sure im not the only one here either ;-)
No, no your not.

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Mon May 03, 2010 9:54 am

When I decided to let my Microwave II go... I was sure than first or later another one comes in. Time passed and now it's the time... with a little things changed. I simply discovered that the Microwave I sounds far more aggressive, raw but really warm and fat thanks to it's analog filters... So I found a 2nd hand Microwave 1 rev A... and next week end... I'll go to buy it.

Think about a Microwave 1...

I had the Microwave2, played a lot with a Q and a blofeld... imho opinion the Microwave2 is the best of the three... but the Microwave1 is the king.

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Mon May 03, 2010 10:11 am

mao wrote:I had the Microwave2, played a lot with a Q and a blofeld... imho opinion the Microwave2 is the best of the three... but the Microwave1 is the king.
Yeah actually I am starting to thing the MW1 might be better too ;)

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Mon May 03, 2010 4:58 pm

n3wt15 wrote: When I get new synths now, my friends joke to me saying "how long is that one sticking around", im sure im not the only one here either ;-)
:lol: this is exactly what my wife says!

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Mon May 03, 2010 5:19 pm

StepLogik wrote:
n3wt15 wrote: When I get new synths now, my friends joke to me saying "how long is that one sticking around", im sure im not the only one here either ;-)
:lol: this is exactly what my wife says!
lol....same thing happens to me....keep getting strange looks from the wife :evil:
And the funny thing is she makes music too!!

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Tue May 04, 2010 8:05 am

Within a year I've sold:

JX-8P
MicroKorg
TX-7
D-50
JX-10
Prophet '08

Most of it because of need of cash..

Polarelch

Post by Polarelch » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:21 am

Rightnow I consider selling my Virus TI Pølar, even though I know I want a Virus in my collection.
But at the moment, I hardly ever use it. I long for synths that are easier to control, as I didn't get a lot into synthesis yet. And for that situation, a Virus is not the best choice I'm afraid with all its menus and parameters and so on.
I won't use it live any time soon, and won't use it in the studio either. With its money I could easily purchase several devices from my current GAS wishlist. But then again I remember that I also *want* a Virus, and that I love the design and the key action of my TI more than I love to *use* the Virus in songs.

I'm very indecisive, as the old version of the TI isn't in stores anymore, and I don't like the new design. I'd want exactly the same synth back. Dunno what to do... :roll:

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:01 pm

I sold my Arp 2600 in 2000 to go on a trip to Bermuda with my mother and daughter. By the time I saved the money to buy another, the damn thing went up in price by twice as much. I bought a Moog Voyager instead with the intention of building up a modular with it as its center.

I had a great trip btw.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

White
Gear: Quite a few synths

Post by White » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:27 pm

Err... Yamaha DX7IID?
Duncan J. White + quite a few synths
http://www.myspace.com/stickman76590059

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:10 pm

I'm just now on to my third Polysix. After I sold one and my Delta last year I quickly realized I didn't have a Korg in my setup. This PS-6 will stay this time. And I'm also on my 3rd and 4th Juno-106. I am currently refurbishing voice chips in both and will sell one of them and keep the other this time.