Patchbay question - CV/Trigger etc...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
WhinyLittleRunt

Patchbay question - CV/Trigger etc...

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:11 pm

I just got a used DBX PB48 patchbay for our studio and was wondering if anyone could help me understand the best way to take advantage of it if I want to use it for patching the CV, gates, triggers etc. from the synths... I was not sure if this would be a normalled or de-normalled application. Most of what I wanted to do with it was going to be de-normalled for just getting what I want into our console...
I like vintage synths....

adhmzaiusz

Re: Patchbay question - CV/Trigger etc...

Post by adhmzaiusz » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:54 pm

It might not be safe to do this, some cv/gate boxes can blow a fuse if you short the connection or you can ruin the port in your audio interface if shorted (using volta or silent way).

I blew 3 fuses in my pro2000 when I was messing around by shorting something.

I don't know, maybe there are safe precautions but thats my experience.
‹‡›

dr funk

Post by dr funk » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:02 am

I'd like to hear some thoughts on this too - I posted recently on this subject but didn't get any replies. I want to use Silent Way (see this thread) and a 1/4" patchbay for CV/gate etc would be very useful - if it would work without blowing my gear up...

Cheers
Frank

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:24 am

As long as you have all of your jacks set up to be isolated (which should just be a matter of setting your patchbay for full-normal, rather than half-normal, and making sure the appropriate jacks in back are all filled with cables and/or dummy plugs) you shouldn't have any shorting problems unless you intentionally mis-patch something on the front of the bay.

Seems like the PC-to-CV setups mentioned in the other thread may have some additional grounding issues you may need to consider, but I think most patchbays usually have a few different grounding scheme options. So I'm guessing there's probably a way to deal with that.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:28 pm

Didn't realize I could blow s**t up...

So, what you're saying is to keep the patchbay at full-normalled? (Pardon my ignorance) - this would mean I could essentially plug all my trigger and cv ins and outs into the rear of the patchbay and then just patch y to z on the front?

I've never used a patchbay before, other than completely de-normalled, which to me is just like having cable extensions...
I like vintage synths....

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:44 pm

Also if you can create a special TRS cable and not connect the ring, you will have better luck not shorting anything
‹‡›

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:56 pm

WhinyLittleRunt wrote:So, what you're saying is to keep the patchbay at full-normalled? (Pardon my ignorance) - this would mean I could essentially plug all my trigger and cv ins and outs into the rear of the patchbay and then just patch y to z on the front?

I've never used a patchbay before, other than completely de-normalled, which to me is just like having cable extensions...
No, sorry I think you do want it de-normalled (or "isolated" as I was calling it, not sure what the preferred term is). I was just referring to the fact that on many patchbays, flipping the boards around will get you from half-normal to full-normal, then it's down to plugging something into the appropriate jacks to get to de-normalled (aka isolated). This gets confusing quickly, without diagrams.

Seems like cable extensions (or in/out extensions really) are essentially what you'd want here to avoid any inadvertent connections. But I may just be projecting my own scatterbrainedness onto others here. ;)
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:10 am

adhmzaiusz wrote:Also if you can create a special TRS cable and not connect the ring, you will have better luck not shorting anything
that's what they recommend for volta