Tangerine Dream Underwater Sunlight Synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
paugui

Tangerine Dream Underwater Sunlight Synths

Post by paugui » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:53 pm

Hi

Does anyone has an idea of what synths they used on this album?

I think I've heard somewhere they used a SCI Prophet VS and a Roland JX10, but have no idea what else...

Also, what kind of processing did they use on the album?

Thanks in advance,
Best regards

Paugui

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Tangerine Dream Underwater Sunlight Synths

Post by Z » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:02 pm

Not sure about the synths you mentioned, but there's definately some Yammy DX (or TX) in there along with Emulator II.

memory cords

Post by memory cords » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:23 pm

In my opinion the best thing about Underwater Sunlight is Froese's guitar playing...

I love Tangerine Dream up to and including Poland and Firestarter but after that they went rapidly downhill IMO.

Anyway, here is a full list of all the gear Tangerine Dream used in the period 1985-1986 which is when Underwater Sunlight was recorded and toured. It's not my list, it was posted somewhere on the official Tangerine Dream Forum by some long time fans who had collected a lot of magazine articles and interviews about the band. I think they also had some direct contact with some of the TD members.

Anyway, here it is... I dread to think how much all this gear cost.

1985:
Arp Sequencer, Sequencial Circuits Pro one, Sequential Circuits Drum Traks, Oberheim Expander, Emulator II, Crumar GDS (Modified with midi), Esoniq Mirage, Yamaha DX21, Roland JX-8P, Fender Rhodes 73 MK V, Apple Mac computer running Compu-Music software, Roland MC-8 sequencer, SCI-Six Trax, Boss 6 channel mixer, Commadore 64 computer, Roland MC4, Roland Jupiter 8 x 2, Oberheim OBX and OB8. Simmons SDS7 electronic drum kit, Grand Piano.

1986 (studio):
Emulator II, NED Synclavier II, PPG 2.3 sythesiser, Prophet 5 synthesiser, MemoryMoog synthesiser, Oberheim Xpander synthesiser, Crumar GDS (with midi), Sequential Circuits Drum Traks, Oberheim OB-Xa synthesiser, Roland Jupiter 8 synthesiser, Yamaha QX1 sequencer

1986 (live):
Edgar Froese:
Yamaha DX7, Roland JX 8P, PPG Wave 2.3, PPG Waveterm, Yamaha TX816 rack, Akai S612 sampler, Gibson Les Paul Guitar, Yamaha QX1 sequencer, Soundcraft series 200 mixer

Chris Franke:
Yamaha DX7, Emulator II with disc track, Yamaha TX816, Yamaha TX216, Yamaha QXI sequencer, Frienship SRC, Sequential Circuits Drum-tracks, Roland MK830, Super Jupiter Synthesisers (MKS-80 & MPC 80), Custom sequencer (EEH CM4), Soundcraft series 200 mixer, JBL monitor speakers

Paul Haslinger:
Roland MKB-300 Mother keyboard, PPG Wave 2.3, PPG Waveterm, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha TX216 (with extra TF1), Yamaha QX1 sequencer, Akai S612 sampler, Oberheim Xpander, Yamaha CP80 Electric Grand Piano, Tokai Electric Guitar, Soundcraft series 200 mixer

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:28 pm

Chris Franke interviewed in the May '86 issue of E&MM: "The Synclavier from my studio has already gone, and
the GDS has gone too."

Seeing that Underwater Sunlight was recorded in April '86 I think we can safely say that neither of those
saw any use on that album at least.

It seems they got rid of both synths in late '85 or thereabouts, sometime after Legend had been recorded.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

intercorni
Band: Lustobjekt

Post by intercorni » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:24 pm

Underwater Sunlight is recorded with the the WaveFrame System.
PPG Wave 2.2 | 2x PPG Waveterm A | PPG PRK | Roland Jupiter-6 | Roland Juno-6 | Waldorf Microwave | Elka Rhapsody 610 | Moog Polymoog | Minimoog Model D | Casio FZ1 | h**l Modular Synthesizer
https://www.facebook.com/cornel.hecht

john909kid
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by john909kid » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:42 pm

memory cords wrote: I love Tangerine Dream up to and including Poland and Firestarter but after that they went rapidly downhill IMO.
I'm with them for a couple albums more... Flashpoint, Le Parc, Legend, Underwater Sunlight, Tyger, Near Dark, Shy People, Canyon Dreams and Lives Miles :D

Then they went meh...... :cry:

Anyway you can hear JX8P presets "Voices" at the beginning of "Underwater Twilight". Love that patch. Sequential Circuits Drumtaks all over Underwater Sunlight, and Fire starter and Flashpoint.

Seems for Underwater Sunlight the Yamaha QX1 was used for sequencing duties? Strange as it's a rather linear based sequencer, whilst the album is very pattern based esp side 2.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:55 pm

what i definetely hear on this album is:

Yamaha DX7
PPG 2.3 with Waveterm (bcs of certain trademark vox samples only avail via waveterm system)
Roland JX-10 (or JX-8P)

I really dig everything they've done in Virgin Years, concluding with two masterpieces tangram and exit. after that they got kinda lost btwn the long form (which they obviously didnt have inspiration for any more) and pop-format with themes instead of vocals. the latter concept really didn't work well up until "Le Parc" which is also one of my favorites, where they ofund the formula for this. the former approach still had moments, like on Logos, or the last track on Hyperborea (just phenomenal). but i couldn't point an album i liked in its entirety after Exit, except Le Parc.

after Schmoeling left, i liked Underwater Sunlight and Optical Race. not as much as their previous work, but they are still dear to me. After this, when franke, and that other guy who's name i cant remember now, left.. it was utter c**p. to this day. Edgar made a mockery out of once one of the greatest bands.

just recently i clicked on "Force Majure Live" clip played by one of the recent incarnations of Edgar's TD, intrigued to see what he is up to right now, only to find out he and his son were acting out on keys, whilst "Force Majeure" was played back directly from the album recording, whilst some stupid chick was banging over congas and bongos over this.. bwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikkkkk. they need to be shot. publicly.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:22 pm

clusterchord wrote:Edgar's TD, intrigued to see what he is up to right now,
the last time a new TD record intrigued me was 'Mars Polaris'.

The problem is that the mere existence of ANY band named TD is simply a matter of legality - EF owns the rights and no one else, evidently.
imho he could have gracefully retired or mended the divide w/ Franke.
"re-creating" CF's parts, indeed MOST TD studio parts to play live - are folly and EF knows this - hence the miming and often dull re-creations.
The additional musicians he DOES play with rarely if ever add anything musically intriguing, either: [sarcasm]Zlatko Perica and Linda Spa? - a Satriani-alike and a low-rent KennyG clone. WOW.[/sarcasm]

You can't decide over everything... can you EF ? - well, it looks like you CAN but look what that gets you...calling this new business TD is very sad.

All that said, it's peanuts to me. They can tour all they want as the 'shell of TD' and it won't stop me from enjoying their 70s/80s work to no end.
clusterchord wrote:Roland JX-10 (or JX-8P)
i believe this synth is also all over "Livemiles" as well?
apart from the obvious lush strings and pads, JX10/MKS70 has a characteristic metallic clangorous tone in the filter sweeps I haven't heard elsewhere.
Last edited by shaft9000 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:36 pm

Oh boy, is it time to bash post '80's TD again?!? :biggrin:
The weird thing for me was I started interest with them with Optical Race. I still like alot of that one. Then my second album bought was Ricochet. Huh? This is much cooler, what the h**l happened, I'm thinking?
Eventually figuring it out, I share the same animosity as some posted above. I didn't care for Underwater Sunlight or Le Parc. Yawn. :bored:
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:02 pm

Solderman wrote:Oh boy, is it time to bash post '80's TD again?!? :biggrin:
The weird thing for me was I started interest with them with Optical Race. I still like alot of that one.
Ha! Me, too! I'd heard their music before at laser shows and a program that would come on a rock station here in Dallas on Sunday nights called "Enerjazz". It wasn't unitl late 80's when Dallas got a "New Age" station called "The Oasis" which later became strictly "smooth jazz" format and is now gone from DFW radio market, that I started to learn who these artists were.

I prefer the 80's TD over 70's and definately 90's [cough] c**p [/cough]. To me the songs from this era were better structured and more melodic. I'm guessing that was more of Franke's influence.

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:53 pm

Z wrote:
Solderman wrote:Oh boy, is it time to bash post '80's TD again?!? :biggrin:
The weird thing for me was I started interest with them with Optical Race. I still like alot of that one.
Ha! Me, too! I'd heard their music before at laser shows and a program that would come on a rock station here in Dallas on Sunday nights called "Enerjazz". It wasn't unitl late 80's when Dallas got a "New Age" station called "The Oasis" which later became strictly "smooth jazz" format and is now gone from DFW radio market, that I started to learn who these artists were.

I prefer the 80's TD over 70's and definately 90's [cough] c**p [/cough]. To me the songs from this era were better structured and more melodic. I'm guessing that was more of Franke's influence.

I like the 70s material more overall - BUT you are right about the 80s material having better melodic structure to them.

The thing I dislike though were the now cliche new age type chord progressions they used, AND the awful sampling they did - like in the album we're discussing here, Underwater Sunlight, they used the snare/chime hit from Art of Noise's Moments in Love, and it sounds terrible - it just doesn't fit at all and you think they would have realized that! and the sample of Oh Yeah from Yello throws the music off completely for me...every time i listen to underwater sunlight, i skip side one and go straight to the flip side.

Speaking of using the DrumTrak - there is an 'unreleased' track thats come up on a few of the newer compilations, the most notable one being The Anthology Decades, called Silver Pendulum. It uses the exact same drum beat as Scuba Scuba does on Underwater Sunlight, but much more prominent. Now it is a GREAT song. I think it shows up on Run To Vegas as well.

I won't bash an era of TD except for most of the 90s and definitely the current state they're in. The 70s and 80s are both filled with classics for me.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

memory cords

Post by memory cords » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:57 am

I really love the Virgin Years of Tangerine Dream, so much amazing music!

I know that many believe that Chris Frank leaving the band was the reason for TD's decline. But I feel they had already started to decline before this, while Franke was still in the band. And if you listen to any of Franke's solo releases it's clear that he was not solely responsible for TD's best sounds.

If you listen to Froese's original solo releases from the 70's and 80's (NOT the recent re-releases!) such as Epsilon In Malaysia Pale, Pinnacles, Stuntman, Macula Transfer, Ages it's clear that Froese could make some great tracks by himself. So it's a mystery to me how the quality of his music has declined so much. Franke also, his solo releases are terrible when compared to his work in TD.

I think they both just stopped caring and music became their 'day job' rather than something creative.

I also think their increasing reliance on presets from digital equipment lessened the 'depth' of their sound.

Here's a treat for all you Tangerine Dream fans... a very rare track from the late 70's which has never been released on CD:

This track was done by Peter Baumann while he was still a member of TD. It has that old vintage TD sound! I think it's made with Mellotron, Fender Rhodes, Moog and Project Electronic Synthesizers.

memory cords

Post by memory cords » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:06 am

Z wrote:I prefer the 80's TD over 70's and definately 90's [cough] c**p [/cough]. To me the songs from this era were better structured and more melodic. I'm guessing that was more of Franke's influence.
It was Johannes Schmoelling who first brought the increased sense of melody and structure into Tangerine Dream, this has been stated by both Froese and Franke in several interviews.

BTW, for all you 70's Tangerine Dream fans, you should check out Michael Hoenig's amazing album "Departure From The Northern Wasteland" which was made in 1976-1978... Hoenig was briefly a member of Tangerine Dream in the 70's.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:04 pm

Here's what Peter Baumann is up to today.
http://baumanninstitute.org/index.php
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:19 pm

memory cords wrote:Here's a treat for all you Tangerine Dream fans... a very rare track from the late 70's which has never been released on CD:

This track was done by Peter Baumann while he was still a member of TD. It has that old vintage TD sound! I think it's made with Mellotron, Fender Rhodes, Moog and Project Electronic Synthesizers.
Not really a rare track at all (Rec 1977), it was on the boxed set TD '70-'80 along with two other solo tracks by Franke 'Chimes And Chains' (Rec 1979) and Froese 'Barryl Blue' (Rec 1978)

Hoenig only played with Tangerine Dream for the famous live concert at Royal Albert Hall in April 1975 and an Australian Tour in the same year. Before Baumann returned from a sojourn in Nepal.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |