audio interface

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
hughyg
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:10 am

audio interface

Post by hughyg » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:47 am

Im looking at getting an interface for my mac to get my little phatty/guitar into Live 8. I have no idea which one to get. Ideally i would also like one with a mic input as well so i could record percussion or vocals. And maybe several outputs. What is a good one for someone on a budget (AU$500 ish)? USB or Firewire?? Can I use one with a guitar and process audio live? For instance, guitar ---> audio interface input ---> Amplitude fx ---> Audio interface output ---> Amp..... or would latency cause an issue?
Cheers in advance,
Hugh

User avatar
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1349
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:27 pm
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC
Location: Ontario
Contact:

Re: audio interface

Post by th0mas » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:08 am

I'd suggest USB only because firewire is seemingly phased out of the lower end macs and is non-existent should you ever buy a PC laptop. It'll continue this trend too as USB 3.0 takes off.

Any modern (Ie still sold new in stores) USB audio interface should be USB 2.0, which I've found personally fast enough that I can midi sequence my synths, bring the audio back into ableton live, then back out to the audio card, as long as I don't load the audio chain with tons of FX, but the latency, no matter how low, might be more noticeable if you're playing something live and waiting for the delay compared to me mostly tweaking the sequences.

User avatar
Mr Knesh
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:06 am
Real name: Roland
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.
Location: Oregon

Re: audio interface

Post by Mr Knesh » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:00 am

th0mas wrote:I'd suggest USB only because firewire is seemingly phased out of the lower end macs and is non-existent should you ever buy a PC laptop. It'll continue this trend too as USB 3.0 takes off.

Any modern (Ie still sold new in stores) USB audio interface should be USB 2.0, which I've found personally fast enough that I can midi sequence my synths, bring the audio back into ableton live, then back out to the audio card, as long as I don't load the audio chain with tons of FX, but the latency, no matter how low, might be more noticeable if you're playing something live and waiting for the delay compared to me mostly tweaking the sequences.

As long as computers still have a Card Bus slot they will be able to use firewire. I much prefer firewire to usb (although usb has been improving quite a bit in the last two years) because it has been my experience that firewire tends to be less buggy. The drivers are usually more solid and I have never had any weird problems with any firewire device.

Ashe37
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3791
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:43 pm
Real name: Unpronounceable
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V
Location: Central VA

Re: audio interface

Post by Ashe37 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:49 am

Technically, no shipping laptop has "cardbus" (apple's name for their implementation of PCMCIA) everything switched to expresscard some time ago.

And lots of PC laptops have firewire (usually the 4-pin firewire 400 connector), long as you don't buy the cheap ones. Firewire is actually dying out because DV is dying out- consumers are replacing it with little HD cameras that shoot onto SD cards.

User avatar
druzz
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 303
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:31 am
Band: November's Ego
Contact:

Re: audio interface

Post by druzz » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:49 pm

very good options at the moment are :presonus fire studio mobile , focusrite saffire pro 24

hughyg
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:10 am

Re: audio interface

Post by hughyg » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:37 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.
Well I have looked into all of these and they all look great. I have macbook pros and and an Imac that have firewire 800 ports so I think I will go the firewire route. What are the apogee duets like. I have read a lot of good reviews for them and I love the look of them. However, I mostly use Live (but I also have logic) and it looks like these have been geared for logic/garageband users. Do they work well with Live?
Cheers
Hugh

hughyg
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:10 am

Re: audio interface

Post by hughyg » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:24 am

I've been looking around and have found the motu pre8. Is this a good interface? What's it like compared with the motu ultralite mk2? It seem far superior with it's 8 mic inputs. I play drums So it looks very appealing for recording them. Would it record to 8 individual tracks in logic/live?

User avatar
organsymphony
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:42 pm
Real name: Sam
Gear: an assortment of various friction idiophones
Band: Parrot Fashion
Location: Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Re: audio interface

Post by organsymphony » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:30 am

hughyg wrote:Would it record to 8 individual tracks in logic/live?
Yes :)

User avatar
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2413
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:57 am
Real name: Zayne
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora
Location: Paris / Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: audio interface

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:53 am

If you haven't yet made a decision, look for an older Audiofire 8. The ADC's are the same as in Apogee equipment at a fraction of the cost. This will also record eight tracks and midi simultaneously to Logic, Live, GB, or any other mainstream DAW. I use it for all three mentioned.
Last edited by sequentialsoftshock on Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonne chance

User avatar
krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:27 pm
Real name: Kevin J
Band: Where the Embers Fall
Location: Michigan, USA
Contact:

Re: audio interface

Post by krzeppa » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:05 pm

druzz wrote:very good options at the moment are :presonus fire studio mobile , focusrite saffire pro 24
My vote goes to the Saffire Pro 24

Image

User avatar
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2413
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:57 am
Real name: Zayne
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora
Location: Paris / Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: audio interface

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:50 pm

krzeppa wrote:
druzz wrote:very good options at the moment are :presonus fire studio mobile , focusrite saffire pro 24
My vote goes to the Saffire Pro 24

Image
How many ins/outs?
bonne chance

User avatar
krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:27 pm
Real name: Kevin J
Band: Where the Embers Fall
Location: Michigan, USA
Contact:

Re: audio interface

Post by krzeppa » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:38 pm

@ sequential...It has 16 inputs and 8 outputs. It also have firewire, if you need/like it.

User avatar
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2413
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:57 am
Real name: Zayne
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora
Location: Paris / Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: audio interface

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:21 am

krzeppa wrote:@ sequential...It has 16 inputs and 8 outputs. It also have firewire, if you need/like it.
Wow! You wouldn't guess by the front looks.
bonne chance

User avatar
krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:27 pm
Real name: Kevin J
Band: Where the Embers Fall
Location: Michigan, USA
Contact:

Re: audio interface

Post by krzeppa » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:23 am

sequentialsoftshock wrote:
krzeppa wrote:@ sequential...It has 16 inputs and 8 outputs. It also have firewire, if you need/like it.
Wow! You wouldn't guess by the front looks.
I know...I thought the same thing the first time I saw it.

User avatar
krushing
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:21 am
Real name: Petteri
Gear: Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Lead 3R, Waldorf MicroQ, Acidlab Bassline 3, Roland TR-606
Band: Salaneuvosto
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

Re: audio interface

Post by krushing » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:49 am

krzeppa wrote:
sequentialsoftshock wrote:
krzeppa wrote:@ sequential...It has 16 inputs and 8 outputs. It also have firewire, if you need/like it.
Wow! You wouldn't guess by the front looks.
I know...I thought the same thing the first time I saw it.
Should probably be mentioned that it "only" has 4 analog ins & 6 outs - the rest is made up of the S/PDIF, ADAT & MIDI ports. Still, powerful little package.

Post Reply