Expensive MIDI Cables...?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
smoothcriminal

Re: Expensive MIDI Cables...?

Post by smoothcriminal » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:43 pm

th0mas wrote:Except for in the extreme case, noise on cables with digital signals doesn't really matter because a 1 with 10% noise is still a 1 and a 0 a 0.
That's pretty much exactly what I was trying to say, I just said it in a more stupid way because I'm not that educated on the subject. I think I meant that an audio signal is directly interpreted from voltage levels whereas a digital signal is either on or off. Is that a less retarded way of putting it?

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:51 pm

smoothcriminal wrote: I meant that an audio signal is directly interpreted from voltage levels whereas a digital signal is either on or off. Is that a less retarded way of putting it?
yup :)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:11 am

Try this discussion on gearslutz. Gets scary real fast. Glad folk here are sensible :)

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:02 pm

You know, I am usually adamantly opposed to snake oil like expensive cables (which are only better in that they supposedly last longer, not sound better), but I actually had an experience where nice cables actually made a difference. It was a VCR that was ghosting the channel picture in with some noise, etc. I tried several of those cheapo RCAs, all of them worked fine on other VCRs, but I actually bought one of the expensive gold plated sets and bam, clear picture.

I always get a chuckle out of guitar players making their poor argument justifying expensive cables, especially considering the internal wiring of their guitar is likely done with lowest common denominator hook up wire and piss poor soldering in a non shielded cavity.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:31 pm

I'm with you, Tallow. It's not like your synthesizers and other equipment are wired with solid gold. They're really only convenient for the longevity and sometimes extremely long runs.

I purchased 10 ft of Mogami gold cable and two Neutrik connectors last evening to try out. Mainly because I needed a cable and never made one myself, so figured it would be a learning experience. :thumbsup:
bonne chance

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:48 pm

I've found more important than cable quality is keeping noisy power adapters away from my analog cables. As far away as possible, which isn't simple a lot of the time since you have 10 device that all need power and provide audio... But it's amazing how big a difference an inch or two can make sometimes with a noisy 9v wallwart's cable near an audio cable.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:50 pm

th0mas wrote:I've found more important than cable quality is keeping noisy power adapters away from my analog cables. As far away as possible, which isn't simple a lot of the time since you have 10 device that all need power and provide audio... But it's amazing how big a difference an inch or two can make sometimes with a noisy 9v wallwart's cable near an audio cable.
+1
The worse is when you're recording an amplified instrument and you need to sometimes eliminate ground hum caused by any number of things.
bonne chance

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:28 pm

I don't think Mogami make gold cable, it's just copper...
tallowwaters wrote:but I actually had an experience where nice cables actually made a difference.
Grounding is easy to get wrong with video cables, and they have to be 75 ohm. Too many cheap cables are simply not within spec. The specs are not as tight with audio cables.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:15 pm

madtheory wrote:I don't think Mogami make gold cable, it's just copper...
No, it's just the lines name- Mogami Gold. They have silver line as well. But I think you knew that already ;)
bonne chance

pianogrl697
Gear: Currently piano but wanting to learn more about Synthesizers!

Post by pianogrl697 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:29 am

Just paid $40 for a Yamaha UX16 Audio cable adapter. Then I was told there were cheaper ones but, not turning back now, lol.

nogginj

Post by nogginj » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:40 pm

In regards to making your own midi cables, you only need three conductor right? Or two conductor with shield.

Midi cables have 5 pins but don't use but 3 of them.
http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/midi_cable.html

Also I would think shielding is important, and could explain some 'low quality' cables.

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:09 am

You can also buy a MIDI adapter to link 2 MIDI cables together to make one single long cable. It's sometimes cheaper than buying a new long one.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:42 pm

nogginj wrote:In regards to making your own midi cables, you only need three conductor right? Or two conductor with shield.
Yeah, two conductors with shield. The shield should be tied to pin 3(?) at one end only.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

jxalex
Gear: enough

Post by jxalex » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:19 pm

Erotic Cabaret wrote:Obviously, MIDI timing and MIDI CC accuracy are keys to good sounding sequences. I've seen "boutique" MIDI cables that are quite expensive, such as Monster Cable's M-MIDI line. Are these "boutique" MIDI cables better in some way?

EC
NEVER! It is 200% snake oil.
The accuraccy has never to do with cables unless you are just using a simple lamp cord wire over 10 meter length.

I really suggest getting a soldering iron and then everyone knows what is a cable and it will put permanently out of business the snake oil salesmen!

cable is just a cable. ANY symmetrical audio cable will do. In fact, even pair of CAT5 will help you out (then You have 4 pairs in one shielding). Just one thing is still suggested to have in order to be picky -- cable shielding have to be connected to ground just on ONE connector. It will minimize the ground loop induced hums, but even that is nothing complicated what a pair of scissors and isolating tape cannot fix.

BUT... it is a gray area since not so many people can actually solder correctly and make their own cables?
If they dont do it then of course they are lost and dont know that cable is just a cable.

I have ALL MIDI and audio cables made myself. When it comes to midi then I just take out spontaneusly pair of DIN5 connectors and a symmetrical audio cable for this, or just a cheapest stereo cable (3 meters / 1 USD) using it as shielded symmetrical and solder connectors on it. Also cheap DIN5-DIN5 generic universal audio cables work for this!

I do it becouse -- plenty of materials and connectors which can I resolder, almost any cable works for this and spontaneusly I can solve it by getting any custom length cables between 20cm - 6 metre and its switchbays.
So far only ONE cable has gone broken in multiple places in a last 15 years and in fact it was NOT the cheapest cable,
but next to cheapest -- it had quite good smooth and thick isolation, good shielding inside, still, the inner connector broke down on several places.
However cables from shop with molded plugs wont last so long. Still it does not mean that its cables fault -- just a connector.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:22 pm

I bought ALL my MIDI cables in 1987/1988! I have about six and they still work fine. I can't remember how much I paid for them but they can't have been expensive.
GC