Help with EMu Proteus 2000 Display

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Help with EMu Proteus 2000 Display

Postby valverec » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:57 pm

I just bought 2 EMu Proteus 2000's on eBay from the same person, and it's like the contrast is turned all the way up on the display, so that the text rectangles for each letter are all the way dark. I can barely read it at any angle. I've tried adjusting the screen view angle, but that doesn't do much. It just helps me barely be able read the screen from a very narrow angle. It's just really strange that both are doing the exact same thing. I don't see a contrast adjustment on here.

If I were able to adjust contrast, that would probably fix the problem. Am I missing something? I also did a factory reset and that did nothing. I opened the top, and I don't see any internal pot to adjust the contrast. Has anyone seen a problem like this before?
valverec

Re: Help with EMu Proteus 2000 Display

Postby valverec » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:37 pm

Does anyone know where I might go to find info on this problem? Is there a good site for EMu tech help?
valverec

Postby rhino » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:08 pm

My first guess is this:
Most LCD displays have a built-in negative-voltage generator to bias the pixels. Since it's likely that both displays came from the same manufacture - maybe from the same batch - that if something failed in one, it could well fail in the other. Replacement displays should be easy to find.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby valverec » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:33 pm

Thanks for the info. It looks like it'll probably cost almost as much to get a new screen as it is to just buy another Proteus 2000. Bummer.
valverec

Postby rhino » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:47 pm

When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby pricklyrobot » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:52 am

valverec wrote:Thanks for the info. It looks like it'll probably cost almost as much to get a new screen as it is to just buy another Proteus 2000. Bummer.
Yeah, http://www.eprelectronics.com (good source for Proteus/Command Station parts in general) has replacement LCD's, but they're $78.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Replacing the Proteus 2000 display with a White on Blue One

Postby Mandala Music » Wed May 03, 2017 10:52 pm

This is about 7 years too late to help the original Proteus owner but maybe someone else wants to replace their Emu Proteus 2000 display. There is a guy on Ebay who lives in England but he will supply you with a White on Blue LCD along with a new ribbon cable. He charges about $51 (plus $10 for shipping) for the display and the ribbon.

When I decided to replace my Proteus 2000 display, I couldn't figure out how to remove the 2 bottom screws that were holding the old display in place because the circui board was in the way. So I removed the circuit board which required detaching all the ribbons and removing all the screws and bending the back panel to make room for manueveering out the sound connectors that stick out of the case about an inch. Then I had access to the bottom display screws, removed the display and put the new display in its place. Then I replaced the circuit board and bent the back panel enough that I could screw the Proteus back together. This is not the way anyone should do it.

Later that week I saw where a guy had replaced the old displays on 3 Proteus 2000 with the White on Blue ones and put them up for sale. (They were snapped up in a few days). Anyway I contacted him about how he removed the displays from his Proteus 2000 and this is what he said:

"You need to remove the front panel screws on the left and right side of the unit. Make sure you carefully remove the data knob and the power knob by gently pulling them straight out. The power post is especially fragile so be careful when moving the front panel assembly. Also you may need to relieve the ribbon cable from the yoke ferris clamp. Do this by carefully prying the retainer clamp that relieves the split on the ferris block. You should now be able to access all of the screws without having to remove the circuit board."

I had a second Proteus 2000 that I was replacing the display on so I followed his advice: He said that you detach the front of the P2000 from the rest of the synth by first removing the power knob and encoder dial. (The konb and dial just pull offf with no problem). Then you remove the 4 screws (two on each side) of the synth seen after you remove the cover. Then the whole front panel detaches. There is a clamp holding the ribbon that holds the ribbon that goes to the encoder assembly but on my synth I did not have to loosen the clamp to separate the panel - The ribbon came freely when I pulled it through the clamp after I disconneccted te other end from the circuit board. Then I tilted the front panel and removed all the dsiplay screws without problem. Then I replaced the old display with the new one and attached the new ribbon to the connection pins on the circuit board. (I could have gotten the display cheaper elsewhere if I bought a display without a new ribbon attached but I had tried to remove the cable from the old display and it did not come off so I could not reuse it).

I hope someone finds this information helpful.
Mandala Music

Return to HELP!