Moog Lap Steel

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
theglyph

Moog Lap Steel

Post by theglyph » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:52 am

http://www.muzicosphere.com/geek-de-zic ... um=twitter

No new synths. I still think they're brewing a new killer. This is just a way to continue the guitar technology.
Eurorack modular, Voyager w/351,MF101.102.104.105B, LP Stage, Juno-106, Siel DK600, Paia 9700, Nord Electro 2, Ensoniq MR76

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: Moog Lap Steel

Post by tekkentool » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:20 am

So a lap steel interpretation of the Moog guitar sustainer/muting system. Actually makes a bit more sense in this format IMO.

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:14 am

I imagine a nice pedal steel and some moogerfoogers will still be cheaper, tho! Youd think, given their pricing lately, that theyd go ahead and use a pedal steel ... >__>

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:55 am

One thing that I’m sure about is that if it is something close to the Moog Guitar then the experimental musicians are going to be happy! A synth lap steel would be a great invention for those who like to create sound textures, and ambiant music with a slide! Because yes a lap steel is a great instrument for country, blues or Hawaiian music but it’s also awesome to create an ambiance or a texture. Methinks someone like Jordan Rudess will be one of the first to get one in his instrumental arsenal!
lolwut

doesnotcompute

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Post by tekkentool » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:44 am

What part doesn't compute? rudess plays the lap steel. It's him who plays it on octavarium.

and lap steels are great for sound textures.

So...what?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:35 am

Yeah I know heaps of experimental guys who play lap steel.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:37 am

I stand lolwut-corrected.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:18 pm

Anyone who's ever played a lap steel with an Ebow knows this is a good idea. ;)

Lap steel is a lot quicker/easier than pedal steel to learn if you've played regular guitar at all (or even if you haven't), so I'm guessing that's why they went in that direction. Plus some of the physical sound-manipulation controls that you have on a pedal steel could conceivably be achieved by adding certain synth-type controls to a lap steel.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:49 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:Anyone who's ever played a lap steel with an Ebow knows this is a good idea. ;)

Lap steel is a lot quicker/easier than pedal steel to learn if you've played regular guitar at all (or even if you haven't), so I'm guessing that's why they went in that direction. Plus some of the physical sound-manipulation controls that you have on a pedal steel could conceivably be achieved by adding certain synth-type controls to a lap steel.
Anyone who's ever used a slide on a normal guitar WITHOUT an Ebow should want one of these :D

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:05 pm

I see one tiny Moog symbol on the headstock of that one sitting on a stand; is it not possible someone slapped a Moog symbol on it because it was Moogfest?
bonne chance

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:55 am

yeah it kinda seems like a joke to me, like 'check out my moog aboriginal clapsticks'

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:10 am

hey guys... it's polyphonic.
soundcloud.com/vectron

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:46 pm

Alex E wrote:hey guys... it's polyphonic.
:lol:
bonne chance

Rooftree

Post by Rooftree » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:59 am

sequentialsoftshock wrote:I see one tiny Moog symbol on the headstock of that one sitting on a stand; is it not possible someone slapped a Moog symbol on it because it was Moogfest?
It's legit. I was at Moogfest and saw/heard the lap steel in concert. They had two on stage. The all-natural colored one (light tan) was being played. There was also a two-tone version on a stand off to the side. I didn't notice any synthetic sounds coming from it. But there was a solo where I believe the player was taking advantage of the sustain feature.

I was talking to the Moog marketing manager early in the day and she dropped a hint that Moog would be unveiling a new stringed instrument at the 6pm concert that evening. I was a bit shocked because the only thing that came to my mind was a lap or pedal steel. I immediately pushed that thought out of my head since it seemed to crazy too be real.

Although I don't understand the rationale behind their decision, I have to assume that they know what they're doing. They know their market, manufacturing system, future plans, profitability, and countless other factors way better than any of us forumites.
Prophet 08 :: CS-30 :: Odyssey :: Korg 01W :: Juno-60 :: 606 :: Sonar :: soft synths