Alesis Fusion vs Yamaha Motif vs other workstation

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Alesis Fusion vs Yamaha Motif vs other workstation

Postby Mr. DiSco » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:09 am

I Know they are really different but i've been wondering if a motif is really usefull to me.
Mr. DiSco

Re: Alesis Fusion vs Yamaha Motif vs other workstation

Postby rharris07 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:22 pm

That definitely depends on what you want to do with it.

I personally have had a Motif 8 for almost ten years now, and it has never failed me once. Incredible machine, very sturdy...it has seen a lot, and still looks to be in damn-near perfect shape. After ten years - just a few knobs are a little wobbly and one key is beginning to stick a little...but other than those two things (which can of course be fixed), it still sounds powerful and is a lot of fun to use.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular
rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member

Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Postby blavatsky » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:46 pm

I can only attest to the fusion:

Pros:
Cheap nowadays
Nice key feel
80g hard drive, import all the soundfonts and custom libraries and samples you can handle
OK stock sounds, great 3rd party (hollowsun, KPR)
ROMpler + sampler + VA + (supposedly weak) FM and PM
8 analog ins (i've never delved much into it but you can record onto the harddrive/use the fusion as a makeshift mixer for other gear)
Well built
Not everyone and their brother is using one like other workstations

Cons:
Song mode is a pain
OS is kind of a piece of s**t (ERROR! A serious system error has occurred. Please restart your system)
Menu-Diving; not intuitive how to get to a lot of settings.
Some soundfonts and 3rd party patches will crash it / overload the RAM and deliver message above
RAM is sort of limited compared to other workstations; you can upgrade but not cheap.
MIDI is terrible with Fusion as master controlling slave devices; its fine with Fusion as slave
Not enough knobs/sliders

Overall I really like it for its value (think I paid $650 for the 8HD around 2 yrs ago). Check out the Alesis Fusion forums there are some really smart people over there with deep knowledge on it.

I would NEVER try to use it to sequence/control other gear again, that was a nightmare (and my rocky introduction to MIDI)
blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Postby paugui » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:48 am

blavatsky wrote: (supposedly weak) FM and PM

From my experiments with those modes, I don't find any of them to be weak at all...

FM is fully modular, which means you can do lots of things you could only dream of with the DX7.
You can modulate the pitch of an operator with an envelope, which can give really nice results, plus you can have a nice filter in the end, and you create all the algorithms yourself, it is definitely a cool synth engine.

The PM seems pretty cool to me too.
Nice and expressive leads are possible, despite it doesn't seem to allow a huge pallet of sounds.

I have to say the PCM doesn't impress me that much (have been more into exploring the other synthesis methods too...), but it is definitely capable and I've heard quite some nice sounds made with it.

The VA is pretty nice, and despite it has only 1 filter and not all the filter types available in the Ion/Micron, you have more modulators (8 EGs for all engines), which can be quite nice for some pads.

It also has some really nice sounds that were programmed by Klaus Schulze, and they rock ;)

If you enjoy synthesis, this is a great machine for sure :)
paugui

Postby the synthman » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:50 pm

What OS version are you basing your opinion of the Fusion on? Mine is running on OS 1.24 and runs just fine.
the synthman

Return to Synth Shootouts