Screw the iPad I want THIS!!!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Screw the iPad I want THIS!!!

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:32 pm

40" touchscreen from Samsung shown at CES....$$$$$$$$ I'll bet but at least it's a step in the right direction.

I got a fever, and the only prescription is...more touchscreen!!

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Re: Screw the iPad I want THIS!!!

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:50 pm

Not to be one of those assholes that makes asinine comments in a thread, but am I the only one that gets a little nuts about fingerprints all over a viewing screen? It's a little different on a synth, but on a multimedia tool? Let alone somebody else touching my things, leaving their greasy fat prints all over everything...

Ugh, I have to go clean something.

Anyways, my point - is there a way to avoid this? Are they working on something along those lines?
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:03 pm

I have dirt and prints all over all my stuff.. I kinda feel like it isn't mine if it's not messy and dishevelled :P

Having said that.. my issue with touch screens is that you're touching a flat piece of glass - the motion is there, but there is not really any feeling involved with touching.. like texture/object/etc.. Perhaps a touch screen with frosted sections of glass and a vibrator that somehow caused the vibration to seem to be coming from certain parts of the screen could be done?

implant

Post by implant » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:04 pm

doctors are calling it the iCold! lol

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:31 pm

prints only really show on an ipad when it's off/asleep. screen's lit & i don't notice at all.

shall i start the ripping on microsoft? ;)

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:42 pm

space6oy wrote:shall i start the ripping on microsoft? ;)
I will.

Yeah, this looks cool. I love the idea of it. But why does Microsoft have to use all of this language like this product is totally innovative and no one has ever seen anything like it? "It actually RESPONDS to TOUCH and OBJECTS! Can you IMAGINE such a thing? Who has EVER seen such AMAZING technology as THIS which MICROSOFT has PLAINLY PIONEERED?"

In short, Microsoft should be paying Apple a shitload of money for doing all of its marketing research since 1984.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:43 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
I will.
why am i not at all surprised...

implant

Post by implant » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:33 pm

well it's not like they are going to say
MICROSOFT riding on the coattails of others since...
just like roland pushing the new first of it's kind va j8ooo when the nord was already out :o
or like tons of dj's who crank out a track and then tell everyone that they invented a new genre of music. :roll:

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:42 pm

space6oy wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:
I will.
why am i not at all surprised...
I'm sorry, the part of your post which addresses what I actually said seems to be missing.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:45 pm

you could definitely design one h**l of a cool sequencer with that interface.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:07 pm

Apple didn't invent touchscreens either (so far as I know), they just seem to have a knack for making and marketing portable devices with interfaces that people find intuitive and pleasant.

Tablet PC's have around, in varying forms, since the '90s, so neither Apple's nor Microsoft's recent products are especially mind-blowing in a conceptual sense. It's just a matter of refinement and affordability.

And anyone who takes the time to have a genuine emotional reaction to generic marketing-department doublespeak is obviously in need of psychiatric intervention. ;)
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Richard Gear

Post by Richard Gear » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:42 pm

tallowwaters wrote:Not to be one of those assholes that makes asinine comments in a thread, but am I the only one that gets a little nuts about fingerprints all over a viewing screen? It's a little different on a synth, but on a multimedia tool? Let alone somebody else touching my things, leaving their greasy fat prints all over everything...

Ugh, I have to go clean something.
I'm sure there's fingerprints on your keyboards too! :D

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:09 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:Apple didn't invent touchscreens either (so far as I know), they just seem to have a knack for making and marketing portable devices with interfaces that people find intuitive and pleasant.
Ha ha, remember Newton? Not necessarily true in that respect. ; )
Naw, I didn't mean to suggest that Apple invented touchscreens... just meant to gripe about how often Microsoft has watched the success of Apple implementations and designs, adopted them in retrospect, and then marketed them as if they were new (despite copious evidence to the contrary).
pricklyrobot wrote:And anyone who takes the time to have a genuine emotional reaction to generic marketing-department doublespeak is obviously in need of psychiatric intervention. ;)
:oops: You'll get no argument there. :lol:

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:07 pm

tallowwaters wrote:Not to be one of those assholes that makes asinine comments in a thread, but am I the only one that gets a little nuts about fingerprints all over a viewing screen?
No. In the local Apple dealer some studenty type came in when I was looking at an iPad and picked one up - munching a greasy burger and juggling that and the iPad while eating. I wanted to mash his head into the table. Filthy c**k.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:16 pm

touchscreens have a great future as creative tools I already imagine 1000 ways to get advantage of these fast growing devices to compose and perform music, plus other applications when they become flexible and as thin as paper.

On touchscreen sequencers area, is a shame that they are SO expensive, but Lemur's intuitive designs are quite interesting....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma