Screw the iPad I want THIS!!!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Re: Screw the iPad I want THIS!!!

Post by silikon » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:51 pm

I'm one of those people who have the screen protector on their phone/pod/pad WTF ever -- and always cleaning it. fingerprints make me INSANE. I will not use my phone if i've eaten or anything. Grody. Same for all my gear and computers, too. Man, I will not get within 100 yards of your setup if there's all sorts of grime in between your keys.

I think ELO Systems holds the original patent for touchscreens (not the capacitive type, the resistive type)... and following that convention, wouldn't the first touchscreens be considered things that used the lightpen, like the Fairlight?

Either way, that huge-a*s touch screen, if the software behind it is solid, and it could do gestures and multitouch, would make for a sweet way to run the whole kit (plenty of room to add whatever controls, ala the lemur).
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:04 am

One of the great things about regular hardware is tactile feedback. When I push a button or turn a knob, I can feel the change I'm making as, or right before, I'm hearing it.

Touchscreens are getting better and better at giving all kinds of other feedback, but they still lack this, and I think it's one of the things that could hinder their potential as full-on instruments (theremin players should do fine though :D ).
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:19 am

Shut up all of you about tactile feedback.
http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/05/21/vi ... uchpanels/
http://www.best-choice-tech.com/applian ... dback.html
This was a long time ago. We will be seeing it on consumer devices soon enough.

And to marc, Also shut up because you're missing the point. Touchscreen devices have been around forever. But the idea behind the surface was to make a device multiple people can use at once. I follow one of the developers of the surface on youtube and have seen some videos of showing what it can do in an educational format. This sort of community aspect to it is missing from a lot of computer based education and i think complaining that microsoft are wrong in saying it's something completely new isn't right. There hasn't been much to fit this description of a collaborative touch computer with Some of the other crazy things like the object recognition on it's surface.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:38 am

In what universe is last May a long time ago?

I don't think anyone suggested that tactile feedback on touchscreens was inconceivable, simply that it doesn't currently appear to be an option and that this might be a hurdle to them being used in certain ways we might like.

Maybe you should shut up about shutting up. :roll:
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

mute

Post by mute » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:58 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
pricklyrobot wrote:Apple didn't invent touchscreens either (so far as I know), they just seem to have a knack for making and marketing portable devices with interfaces that people find intuitive and pleasant.
Ha ha, remember Newton? Not necessarily true in that respect. ; )
Naw, I didn't mean to suggest that Apple invented touchscreens... just meant to gripe about how often Microsoft has watched the success of Apple implementations and designs, adopted them in retrospect, and then marketed them as if they were new (despite copious evidence to the contrary).
pricklyrobot wrote:And anyone who takes the time to have a genuine emotional reaction to generic marketing-department doublespeak is obviously in need of psychiatric intervention. ;)
:oops: You'll get no argument there. :lol:
MS's Surface has been in production since 2008 and going back as far as 2005 they had other prototypes, including the Sphere thing and those massive touchscreens MSNBC uses...

Apple markets s**t as 'new' in retrospect all the time and then claims dibs. It's probably the most obnoxious thing about them and aside from their fanboys, the thing that generates them the most scrutiny.

Both companies are s**t. Apple with their generic multi-touch patents are perhaps the most evil in this category though.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:00 am

Richard Gear wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:Not to be one of those assholes that makes asinine comments in a thread, but am I the only one that gets a little nuts about fingerprints all over a viewing screen? It's a little different on a synth, but on a multimedia tool? Let alone somebody else touching my things, leaving their greasy fat prints all over everything...

Ugh, I have to go clean something.
I'm sure there's fingerprints on your keyboards too! :D
Yeah, but I don't have to see anything through my keys.
nathanscribe wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:Not to be one of those assholes that makes asinine comments in a thread, but am I the only one that gets a little nuts about fingerprints all over a viewing screen?
No. In the local Apple dealer some studenty type came in when I was looking at an iPad and picked one up - munching a greasy burger and juggling that and the iPad while eating. I wanted to mash his head into the table. Filthy c**k.
Sounds like a typical Apple customer to me. ;)

Still though, nasty.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:02 am

Also, let's not turn this into a Apple vs MS thread. Thanks.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:49 am

tallowwaters wrote:Also, let's not turn this into a Apple vs MS thread. Thanks.
bah real men use linux

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/feature ... s-user.php
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Voodoo Ray
Gear:
Akai
Waldorf
Roland
Yamaha

Post by Voodoo Ray » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:18 am

silikon wrote:I'm one of those people who have the screen protector on their phone/pod/pad WTF ever -- and always cleaning it. fingerprints make me INSANE. I will not use my phone if i've eaten or anything. Grody. Same for all my gear and computers, too.
I'm pretty much the same about that kind of stuff.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:17 am

pricklyrobot wrote:Apple didn't invent touchscreens either (so far as I know), they just seem to have a knack for making and marketing portable devices with interfaces that people find intuitive and pleasant.

First big public display of touch screens was an HP display at the 1982 World's Fair in Knoxville, KY.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:42 am

I can't believe people would rather use an ASCII keyboard and mouse for things like DAWs and softsynths rather than a touchscreen because of fingerprints :roll:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:10 am

mute wrote:Apple markets s**t as 'new' in retrospect all the time and then claims dibs. It's probably the most obnoxious thing about them.
This must run a close second :D ;

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:43 pm

Dogboy73 wrote: This must run a close second :D ;

:lol:

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:44 pm

Ashe37 wrote:

First big public display of touch screens was an HP display at the 1982 World's Fair in Knoxville, KY.
Ha! My parents and I went there. Although, only being about 2 at the time, the only thing I remember from it was being scared shitless by the fireworks. :lol:

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:56 pm

mharris80 wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:

Ha! My parents and I went there. Although, only being about 2 at the time, the only thing I remember from it was being scared shitless by the fireworks. :lol:
i was there at as well. i would have been 7 at the time. i vaguely remember it. i grew up in knoxville, TN.

not a very exciting city, but Pick 'n Grin music store there had a brand new TB-303 for $90 close-out back in the early 90's :lol: