Korg Monotribe ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by th0mas » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:11 pm

Alright here's my guesses, we will have to wait until it's released... very exciting.

If that picture is a pic of the device:

It's bigger than the monotron. More likely electribe-ish sized. Whoever said it's monotron sized is wrong. Those knobs take up space in the design, and also I doubt the sequencer is only 8 steps.

It's going to be quite a bit more expensive, MSRP will be >$500. I'm going to guess $799. The osc/filter circuit is much more complex than the monotron.

I find those flip-switches interesting. They do not match electribe esthetic and are not the cheapest way to make a switch. They look nice and to some degree vintage but it shows that Korg's premiere goal with this device was not strictly "cheap".

I don't think they're going to bother implementing any of the existing electribe functionality into this. Each generation of electribes (and the kaoss pads where appropriate) are mostly same hardware but with different firmware, and slight variations in controls where appropriate. So I doubt we'll see the DSP chip that runs the other electribes showing up in here. Instead you're going to get a step-sequenced monosynth with MIDI.

The only thing I know for sure: I want it.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:49 pm

shaft9000 wrote:vintage-hyped market
?

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:53 pm

Yeah there's also 'HH" written on it...High hat?

It could be a sequencer/drum machine/monosynth

blackdiscoball

Post by blackdiscoball » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:05 pm

It could be a sequencer/drum machine/monosynth
I would think that would be a logical device to put out. Give them there 808's and 303's all in one package. Simplify it a little to save on cost, give it memory and I think you would have a winning product. If you could get it to have that "analog" sound and convince the buying public it sounds "fatter" then a digital product then they would fly off the shelf. If the picture is the actually device it looks like it has a good amount of flexibility so maybe it will be something useful. Besides for the cheap price and cool factor I bought a monotron in hopes that it would send the message to korg that people are interested in analog device's with actual controls on them that can be adjusted in real time. Maybe they got the message and maybe not. Still, I can only guess what they and the buying public will do.
Moog Prodigy, Moog Liberation, Wurlitzer 112, Roland 707, Roland Juno106 Casio CZ3000,

OntarioHydro
Band: {}[]<>[]{}

Post by OntarioHydro » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:49 pm

I love those kind of switches! Used a lot on old Roland gear. So much fun to flick!

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:47 pm

a very rude individual wrote:I find those flip-switches interesting. They do not match electribe esthetic and are not the cheapest way to make a switch. They look nice and to some degree vintage but it shows that Korg's premiere goal with this device was not strictly "cheap".
Polardark is correct, the flip-switches and knob style is directly from the Microkorg XL. So the logical analogy would be MKXL is to MicroKorg as Monotribe is to Monotron. In other words the same branding and target market, but with more thought put into the interface and useability. That would imply they are still targeting the lower-priced market as much as possible. About the size/layout, considering only 8 out of 16 sequencer steps are visible in the photo, and considering how cramped the knob positions are, it hints at a rackmount-ish wide layout... maybe something like the Slim Phatty.
Sir Nose wrote:I am guessing one track, monophonic, same in/outs as the monotron (hopefully not), $100-$120 or if they add audio and midi ins/outs $140-$180. Is korg testing the analog waters some more & polishing their analog design and production with hopes of somethig bigger?
The "HH" visible in my photo enhacement is very interesting. It's under an LED, next to a row of more LEDs who's labels aren't visible, which implies that there are a variety of selectable drum sounds. My initial guess was something like a 303, but maybe it's actually an 808? Maybe we're looking at a Monotribe R, to be accompanied with a Monotribe A like the original electribes, how amazing would that be?

The monotron branding (real analog, cheap, toy-like) is different from the current line of electribes which are more pro-sumer and gussied up with tubes... but if you think back to the original EA1 and ER1, the fun, bottom-shelf branding actually fits perfectly.

What did the original tribes go for new, $350 a piece?
Sir Nose wrote:Is korg testing the analog waters some more & polishing their analog design and production with hopes of somethig bigger?
That was the original question with the Monotron. If Monotribe is what everyone seems to think it is, I think the answer has to be yes on both counts. I think Korg will have a close eye on the buzz/sales figures and are probably already doing R&D on a top-shelf spinoff of some kind. Maybe eventually we will see something like a Spectralis from them. Frankly I'm not half as excited about that concept as I am about something that could hypothetically be our generations 303/808 raging acid combo.

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:37 am

Sir Nose wrote:Looks like there are some onboard effects as I can read flang.
I'm thinking it says Range (part of the sequencer section?) but it's all just speculation at this point.

Whatever it is I just think it's great that Korg's flirting with Analog!

What really takes the cake is that the picture shows the type of switches used on the Jupiter 8. There's no irony lost in the fact that Roland is possibly (we won't really know until the 6th) releasing a keyboard labeled Jupiter 80 which likely has nothing in common with the original Jupiter series including those switches.
Eurorack modular, Voyager w/351,MF101.102.104.105B, LP Stage, Juno-106, Siel DK600, Paia 9700, Nord Electro 2, Ensoniq MR76

MPS
Band: Atomic Shadow

Post by MPS » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:40 am

Whatever it is we will know next week. All of this speculation will seem so long ago. And pointless.
http://www.atomicshadow.com/

A wall of dusty old junk, synths, and effects. Broadcasting live, from yesterday's world of tomorrow.

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:00 am

I'm already speculating whether or not it would be worth it to sell all the gear I own and start over with an all-analog EA1/ER1 combo, and there's nothing you can do to stop me.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:47 am

LOL if it turns out to be the ideas that everyone shat all over/ said would never be in that other thread.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:04 am

most of the disucssion in that other thread was talking about them making some type of fully functional analog for less than $200. Not bloody likely.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:24 am

smoothcriminal wrote:I'm already speculating whether or not it would be worth it to sell all the gear I own and start over with an all-analog EA1/ER1 combo, and there's nothing you can do to stop me.
You probably should, and if you sell it all now before it's announced you'll probably get a better price for everything. Once Korg officially announce this new $200 6 voice analogue drum machine with analogue monosynth and sequencer the bottom is gonna drop out of the secondhand market as everyone tries to sell off their gear and pick one up.

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:09 pm

Ashe37 wrote:fully functional analog for less than $200.
Stab Frenzy wrote:$200 6 voice analogue drum machine with analogue monosynth and sequencer
I don't find your speculation about the Monotribe's price and featureset to be plausible. With those features it would have to be around $1000 (ex: PolyEvolver Rack?) and that doesn't fit with the "MonotronXL" branding. I think it's more likely that the drum machine and monosynth will be companion products in order to keep prices down.

I also can't picture Korg using the tagline "tweak a real analog" if they intended to make a hybrid groovebox with some digital voices. Although I could imagine a Monotribe drum machine using samples for cymbals/clap like some of the vintage drum machines do. A 4-voice drum synth (+samples) sounds plausible to me.

edit: taking my speculation to the next level baby

someone on another forum pointed out that you can estimate the size by looking at the knobs (hypothetically the same kobs) on a microkorg XL and comparing to the promo photo.This implies the size of the unit will be similar to just the frontpanel (minus keyboard) of an XL. edit - based on my mockup, maybe half or 3/4 the size of an XL frontpanel.

"Smooth Monotribe" specs:

Analog Drum synth/step sequencer with bass drum, snare, High & Low tom, cymbal, high hat
-Cymbal and high hat are digital samples, the rest are 1-osc monotron voices
-1 oscillator per voice, probably saw/tri/pulse and +noise
-Multimode LFO (saw, tri, pulse) with variable pitch & cutoff effect, and wide/narrow range toggle
-Filter with cutoff, res, and some form of multimode EG
-VCA with attack/decay control and a similar multimode EG to the filter
- 16-step sequencer
- 3-character electribe-style LCD and a big Microkorg XL knob to audit step parameters such as note#
- USB-midi but no midi jacks. wait it needs MIDI in/out to connect to the 303/monosynth version.
- 1/8th" audio in (interface with monotron), 1/4" audio out.
-MSRP $399 (reference: MFB 522)

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:34 pm

MPS wrote:Whatever it is we will know next week. All of this speculation will seem so long ago. And pointless.
This.

polardark

Post by polardark » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:38 pm

Well, only two days left to musikmesse now. Let's see if Korg can actually show a working version of this thing. The fact that the knobs aren't even attached in the blurred photo suggests that it's in the early mockup / prototype stage.

It's one thing to speculate on what could actually be done with the technology and quite another thing to know what the Korg design process produced.
For instance: It would make sense for there to be microcontroller onboard. Microcontrollers are cheap, versatile, powerful and easy to develop for. If you have a microcontroller (and choose the right one) you could easily hobble on USB or a simple drum machine with samples. Within this context, analogue drums would make little sense. MIDI is not exactly gaining momentum each year, but if this product is meant to be integrated with the Electribe range (for drums etc) then it will have MIDI.

Well, that's just me ranting.

...and i actually like speculating. :)