Loverboy - Take Me To The Top phat intro

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
pognoot

Loverboy - Take Me To The Top phat intro

Post by pognoot » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:42 pm

I'm surprised that no one else has posted anything on this song. The synth intro is one of the phattest in synth recording history. It's HUGE!! Listen with headphones, it goes from mono to wide stereo and gets progressively phatter with each note played. To my ears, the tone is vintage Yamaha CS50 all the way, perhaps multitracked and phattened with analog delays.

I'm waiting for a some hip/hop rapper to sample it and make a mega smash hit out it.

Anyway, if you haven't heard it stop what you're doing and give it a listen. Link is below:

Pognoot

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: Loverboy - Take Me To The Top phat intro

Post by Alex E » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:38 pm

lol you used the word "phat" 4 times in one post.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:47 pm

I think they used a CS-80 on that.

I love the CP-80 at the end, too.

Doc Tonewheel
Gear: Lots

Post by Doc Tonewheel » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:14 am

Actually,Doug used a Yamaha CS-60, Yamaha SS-30 string machine, Prophet 5, and CP-70 with Loverboy.
1975 Hammond A105/122RV, Yamaha N2 AvantGrand, Hohner Clavinet D6, vintage Moog Minimoog Model D, Yamaha CS-60, Korg Mono/Poly, Roland A50

pognoot

Post by pognoot » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:45 am

Me thinks it was a CS-50 because that's what Doug toured with, and its also what he used for Turn Me Loose. The CS-50 is a four-voice instrument, which is why all the voices stay in perfect sync when he does the glissando thing at the beginning. He's holding a 4 note chord. I have a CS-80 and while it works, it's never quite as smooth.

Mickey to the rescue..

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:38 am

"phat" means "cool." As such, it's unquantifiable.
It is definitely a synthesizer, though.
That being said, I can't believe you used "Loverboy" and "phat" in the same post. There is some rift in the time/space continuum.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

pognoot

Post by pognoot » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:35 pm

Well I am fine with just "fat" but apparently that wasn't good enough in the world of synth geeks. Phat is ubiquitous enough it even made its way into the hearts and minds of Moog Music (ever heard of the Little Phatty?)

As for Loverboy, they were awesome! Great pop songs with layers of cool Yamaha synths. Working For The Weekend is also Yamaha CS-50. When It's Over is another gem.

What I am trying to understand is, this intro is every bit as kick butt as the guitar synth work of Who Are You, yet it is commonly overlooked by the Synthsters. How could this be? I don't care if you like the band or not, the SYNTH is downright wicked!

bluedad
Gear: Yamaha Motif ES rack/DX7//TG77/SY77/AN1X/MM08 MicrowaveXT/ Korg DW8000/M3r/ Ensoniq ESQ-1 /Mirage Rack/ Nord Micro DSI Mopho Roland Juno 106/D550
Band: Split Second

Post by bluedad » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:48 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
That being said, I can't believe you used "Loverboy" and "phat" in the same post. There is some rift in the time/space continuum.
lol

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:00 pm

CS-50 is correct, that's what Doug Johnson used.

Here are a few excerpts from an interview published in the Nov 1982 issue of Keyboard:

What can you point to on your records as somrthing you're especially proud of?
DJ: I like some of the stuff I did n "Lady of the '80s". I like the intro to "Take me to the top". That was actually created during our last studio session on the first album. I was trying to get some really low, growly settings on the keyboards, so I started playing away, and the lyrics to "Take me to the top" came into my head. I started singing it, got out my cassette player, and there it was!

How did you devise the resonant deep synthesizer setting in that tune?
DJ: There's a little pulse-width modulation on the side. Then there are two faders on the CS-50: one takes it from 0 to 50 percent, and the other from 50 to 100, so I have those slightly off.

Do you use the velocity-sensitivity on the CS-50 a lot?
DJ: I do. I use it in "Take me to the top" and at the beginning of "Lady of the '80s". In "Take me to the top" I also set the oscillators a little apart from each other; the pulse-width modulation gives it that slightly roundish sound.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:13 pm

Saw those guys several times -- I always thought Doug was pretty good, and that he could have done more outside the setting of Loverboy if he had been inclined to. When they played "Take Me To the Top" live, in the place in the song where the record has a guitar solo, Doug would whip out a clarinet and play that instead.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:56 pm

pognoot wrote:Well I am fine with just "fat" but apparently that wasn't good enough in the world of synth geeks. Phat is ubiquitous enough it even made its way into the hearts and minds of Moog Music (ever heard of the Little Phatty?)
Of course, you'd never run into synth geeks on a site dedicated entirely to the obsessive worship of synths.
"Phat" is only ubiquitous on the internet in the last 5-10 years... along with a lot of other inaccurate garbage. Some of us synth geeks have been synth geeks for a bit longer than that.
Yes, I may have heard of that synthesizer once or twice. And of course, because Moog did it, no would would DARE question their choice. That's why the name they chose was beloved by all (Meaningless internet buzzword, weed reference, and even p***s reference... all in one! Who wouldn't love it?).
pognoot wrote:What I am trying to understand is, this intro is every bit as kick butt as the guitar synth work of Who Are You, yet it is commonly overlooked by the Synthsters. How could this be? I don't care if you like the band or not, the SYNTH is downright wicked!
It's definitely one of my favorite synths of all time, and it is a great intro. I think the reason people don't go that crazy about it is that Loverboy has somehow evaded the retro-pop-culture adoration they probably deserve. They are one of those bands that people should be holding aloft as a symbol of early 80s rock/pop. I don't think anyone who is into the whole retro deal is old enough to remember how popular they were... so it depends on what movie/television show, etc. is going to make a loud noise about it so the younger people "discover" them.
The synth IS pretty wicked, but I think by the time Loverboy did that, similar sounds had been heard in other music... which kept it from being as groundbreaking as it might have been.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

pognoot

Post by pognoot » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:40 pm

AG, great post. I grew up in the early 80s so I know exactly what you're talking about.

Thanks for the information Micke. Great stuff. Loverboy's sound from the early 80s was defined by just that one synthesizer. Or perhaps better stated, the Yamaha CS50 was THE loverboy sound. Doug used it all over the place. For example, in the song When It's Over, during the verses he comes in with these pad-type chords during the second half that sound kinda middley and unusual. That's an effect you get by using the foot pedal with the VCF. The CS80 does the same thing. Really cool effect. You can hear it come in at 1:02

To my ear, the intro performance doesn't necessarily have the "CS50" sound charateristic, so I am not sure if that's what he used or not.