Korg Monotribe ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
blackdiscoball

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by blackdiscoball » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:52 pm

On further review I think you are right. 1/8 is such a pain, Im sure its there because there is no room to fit anything else (i modified my monotron and I can tell you that they crammed that thing full to the brim) but still... I won't complain because its a great product and this looks to follow suit, as long as its fairly priced (which i imagine it will since the monotron was and this is after all a "toy").
Moog Prodigy, Moog Liberation, Wurlitzer 112, Roland 707, Roland Juno106 Casio CZ3000,

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:55 pm

Nannerfan wrote:Funny with the other thread.. where all the mods were being assholes and flexing their business knowledge... then this thing comes out.

I think some people deserve an apology.
Your month long apology is accepted.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:57 pm

yeah, looks good that...

hopefully they wont add a keyboard in the future, and if they build a new analog synth, it will be mostly unrelated to the monotron 'series' so to speak, ie it wont just be a bunch of monotrons taped together.

I like the simplicity of this thing, it doesn't seem to be trying too hard to be something else... it is kind of like a 606/303 merger in a sense (very good thing) but still should have its own sound from what Ive gathered from the monotron, plus it's good the drums are analog, as that would have ruined it for me.

By the way, one of you tech guys start prepping for an individual output mod as soon as you can, thanks...
tallowwaters wrote:
Nannerfan wrote:Funny with the other thread.. where all the mods were being assholes and flexing their business knowledge... then this thing comes out.

Your month long apology is accepted.
HAHAHA! :lol:
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:01 pm

Sequencer.de says it's 199 EU which hopefully is rounded down to $250 in the US. So Garranimal's Griffin Avid's analogy to the KP series is looking more and more accurate, it's the same price as a MiniKP. I still think its a little steep but I would take this over a MiniKP in an instant, it's not even a contest.

edit -

So here's a question that doesn't involve any speculation for once. I'm not familiar with modular "sync" audio pulse inputs. I'm thinking I can send 8th note pulses from one of the outs on my MPC to this via a 1/4" -> 1/8" cable, and whatever swing settings I use on my MPC will be reflected in the timing of the Monotribe? Am I understanding this correctly?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:15 pm

How do I make a dubstep wobble on my Monotribe?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

RD9

Post by RD9 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:13 am

meatballfulton wrote:How do I make a dubstep wobble on my Monotribe?
lol can you make that thing DONK or what?!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:15 am

smoothcriminal wrote:So here's a question that doesn't involve any speculation for once. I'm not familiar with modular "sync" audio pulse inputs. I'm thinking I can send 8th note pulses from one of the outs on my MPC to this via a 1/4" -> 1/8" cable, and whatever swing settings I use on my MPC will be reflected in the timing of the Monotribe? Am I understanding this correctly?
Depending on what the sync is exactly that might work, although the clock might run at a higher clock speed than one pulse per step.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:23 am

??? Nobody in the other thread predicted anything even close to the Monotribe. That thread was about Korg doing a 2 Osc MS-20-a-like for under $500, completely different to the Monotribe.

But good work insulting the people who put their time in to run this place, that was a real cool guy move.

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:27 am

I see. Here's a related question (which is probably unanswerable because it depends on implementation, but maybe someone has tried something like this with a modular): If the monotribe is being clocked with an 8th or 16th note pulse, and the pulse stops, would the sequencer also stop (slow down to 0bpm)? I'm imagining using one microQ multi with the arpeggiator to send pulses to a sub output while I'm holding down a key so I can start/stop the Monotribe playback. Why? IDK, just an idea that occurred to me.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:32 am

depends exactly how its implemented yes

RD9

Post by RD9 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:05 am

kuroichi wrote: I like the simplicity of this thing, it doesn't seem to be trying too hard to be something else... it is kind of like a 606/303 merger in a sense (very good thing) but still should have its own sound from what Ive gathered from the monotron, plus it's good the drums are analog, as that would have ruined it for me.
For real. I especially like how Korg captured the spirit of the olden days when instruments had severe limitations but they still found ways to squeeze as much features as they could out of the circuitry. It's super elegant... the idea that you maximize only a handful of components into the best that they can be. Much better than coming out with some horrid monster like the Jupiter 80 that recycles just the name and aesthetics, but none of the spirit of early 1980s synth design. I know it's an apples to oranges comparison, but pound for pound, the Monotribe is 100 times cooler.

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:14 am

smoothcriminal wrote:I see. Here's a related question (which is probably unanswerable because it depends on implementation, but maybe someone has tried something like this with a modular): If the monotribe is being clocked with an 8th or 16th note pulse, and the pulse stops, would the sequencer also stop (slow down to 0bpm)? I'm imagining using one microQ multi with the arpeggiator to send pulses to a sub output while I'm holding down a key so I can start/stop the Monotribe playback. Why? IDK, just an idea that occurred to me.

Okay, so exactly why sync is so good is because you can feed it whatever 1/4 notes 1/8 notes or even an unusual pattern, I usually use arpeggiator patterns from my jp 8000 or hand draw the patterns in Ableton Live, and you get really cool results. I do this with all my capable synths. I don't have any Korgs but at least it works this way with my Rolands and Oberheim, so hopefully Korg does the same thing.
‹‡›

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:28 am

Cool. It's crazy how Korg hit this thing out of the ballpark. It's completely targeted towards hobbyists/bedroom producers but it's also got appeal to hardcore synth geeks with modulars or other analog gear, and if it's anything like Monotron it's also going to be incredibly popular with circuit benders. It's no wonder this thread has like 3,000 views in 5 days.

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:35 am

I cant wait to get my modding gloves on for this thing myself
‹‡›

sqweebking
Gear: Roland, Moog, Yamaha, Korg, Novation, etc.
Band: sqweebking

Post by sqweebking » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:13 am

If there's no proper cv/gate what kind of results are people getting when running cv/gate into a modded monotron? I was under the impression that once tuned, using the pitch knob, they tracked just like any other oscillator. Is this wrong?