i know you hate behringer...

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

i know you hate behringer...

Post by space6oy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:52 am

but some of their pedals actually sound really nice. just picked up the CC300 and CD400 choruses and the VD400 delay, delay's very limited in speeds but aside from that i'd say they're not bad at all.

hope this isn't hypocritical of me or anything. just thought i'd share...
:geek:

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Re: i know you hate behringer...

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:03 am

The CC and CD are great, dead on identical sound to their ridiculously expensive parents, except the CC makes less noise than the Boss.

The housing and I/O hardware are utter shite though but an easy fix.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:05 am

have you actually had your hands on the original dimension choruses? i haven't & even recently was tempted by one...

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:12 am

Yep, I'm one of those rarities on the web that has actually owned something I talk about. Very similar insides as well, one being a cheaper SMD China hotbed of glory, but like I said, identical sound, and the CC has less background noise.

I applaud them, you would think somebody else would have made a good (and reasonably affordable) space chorus by now.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:15 am

awesome. thanks for the reassurance! odd bonus i ought to mention is how with the DC-2 you could only select one of the four depth presets at a time, while the CC300 actually lets you stack them however you like. 16 options instead of just 4.

anyone have any other behringer pedals they dig? aren't too many others i'm tempted by, though i might pick up a rotary machine as well...

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:50 am

I've been hearing about the 300/400 sound really close to a dimension D on GS so I'm pretty curious myself. I'll have a squiz on ebay, I'm interested.

As far as behringer go, Bugera amps sound f**k amazing and they're dirt cheap. I know they initially had some reliability issues off the bat when they were using plastic tube clips. But they're all metal now and I haven't heard of serious issues since.

krushing
Gear: Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Lead 3R, Waldorf MicroQ, Acidlab Bassline 3, Roland TR-606
Band: Salaneuvosto

Post by krushing » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:35 am

I'm a bit pissed I didn't pick up one of those Vintage Time Machines before EHX realized it's a bit too good a clone.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:37 am

Yeah, I grabbed one of their chorus pedals 'cause it was in the bargain bin when I was in the music store - it doesn't do traditional chorus that well but it did it in a unique digital glitchy way which I actually quite liked.

Behringer has its place in the industry, but one thing I just can't stand is the abysmal noise floor of their units - seriously it's 2011 even at the budget end you can do better than that - just look at Biyang. It's just shitty design, shitty opamps or a combination of the two. :?

cryabetes
Gear: Electribe Army: EA-1mkII, ER-1mkII, EM-1, ESX-1
Band: Cody P & Sammy B

Post by cryabetes » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:59 pm

I've owned the big muff clone and the small stone clone - both were totally off the mark as far as replicating the sound they were after but were decent effects in and of themselves. I'm kind of surprised the big muff "gotta catch 'em all" types haven't classified the behringer version in its own class. It screams. Only downside is the pots rotate rather freely, meaning a hard stomp can move your settings.

And re: Biyang - they make nice modulations/distortions but their delays are pretty awful. And there's a bit of bad karma there too - they were originally a contractor for producing some guy's designs and they decided to make their own versions for cheaper than he was charging, so i've got mixed feelings about that company on the whole, especially since their contracting to Akai.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:08 pm

^^ Interesting, but yeah I was only commenting in relation to how they can produce cheap units yet still achieve a good noise floor for what they are.

cryabetes

Post by cryabetes » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:13 pm

oh sure, but even noise floor goes out the window with their delays. their 1100ms "double analog delay" (read: PT329x chip) just sounds thin, staticy, and mine rarely got above 200ms (i think I had good luck putting it in the freezer beforehard, but at room temp it shortened.)

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:19 pm

Ah ok, yeah delays can be a bit hit and miss - I only have the Phaser and the Comp.

cryabetes

Post by cryabetes » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:34 pm

Also back on topic, their mixers can be really nice or really quite s**t- They're coming into their own in this dept.

both of the 1002B's I have are positively stellar (and have the same profile as a keyboard when you fasten them together, which has appeal), and apparently this is one of their first designs that doesn't come from mackie mixers.

although the 502s, 802s, 1204s and 1222's i've used are awful (bad s/n ratio, power supplies prone to overheating/melty death, shite on-board effects in the case of the 1222). apparently the 2442 is nice though.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:20 pm

Had a behringer MX2004a for six years. Never a single issue. Sounded just.. okay, but did the job.
soundcloud.com/vectron

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:59 pm

I have their tremolo pedal - does a fine job, but h**l it doesn't have to do much.
Also have their reverb - line 6 verbzilla knockoff - sounds very close, for much cheaper.

Recently bought the boss FZ-2 knockoff for that Electric wizard sound - does ok on guitar but sounds murderously grand on a bass.

I have one of their uber-cheap rackmount units (FX2000?) which is no lexicon but has some passable reverbs and tons of effects to play around with when tracking synths (Binaural-izer, phasers,etc). Mixed tastefully I think it will be able to sound good, but stand out like a cheap suit if the wet mix is way up.

Overall for the cost, I can't fault them - i've had good luck so far with quality / noise floor type issues.