An1x V Maudio Venom

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
polar69
Gear: An1x CS1x Rm1x MPD24 Stylophone Zoom gfx100 Reason Reaper

An1x V Maudio Venom

Post by polar69 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:17 pm

I have an An1x and I love it, its a good keyboard and has a clever interface but thats the problem, its too clever for me !

Im half thinking of getting an M-audio Venom, does anyone have experience of both these machines and how do they compare. Im not a gigging musician or even in a band I just like making noises, the trap I fall into is never been able to really make the patches that I want to with the An1x.

Mino
Gear: Waldorf Q & XT & Streichfett
Nord Lead 2x
Roland V-Synth /w VC-1

Re: An1x V Maudio Venom

Post by Mino » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:40 pm

I would never sell An1x for a Venom,

There should be a computer editor for An1x, I think it will be much clearer to you once you see all the controls there.

visceralvoids
Gear: Access Virus TI - Roland JD990 - Sequential Drumtraks - Novation 61SLmkII

Post by visceralvoids » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:14 pm

I don't like matrix style menus either (microKorg, AN1x). Why not try another VA like the Korg MS2000b. You can route an audio input through it as well which helps for some creative drum tracks and lots of sound potential. It has a "one knob per function" style interface. A couple of other VAs similar to the AN1x do. Whether or not they sound as "good" I'm not sure, I had a AN-200 and thought it sounded really good.

From what I know Of the Venom it is heavily computer integrated, and front panel editing also becomes difficult after a while for programming deeper parameters.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:37 pm

From a patch editing perspective, Venom is very dependent on the computer, if that matters. AN1x can be fully edited without a computer.

It might help if you mentioned what sort of sounds you are after. The Venom seems to have been designed to be very "edgy" and "in your face" which is a popular sound these days.

As a pure synthesizer, the AN1x has far more potential than the Venom.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

skizzle
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by skizzle » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:19 pm

I posted enthusiastically about the venom in a thread here when it first came out. SInce then, I've had time to sit down with one and i'm kind of embarrassed and unsure as to what it was about it I ever was attracted to. I had and sold a cs1x recently i would have kept but for space; that might be closer comparison to the venom.

gordwiebe
Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Post by gordwiebe » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:48 am

spend some more time with your an1x!

I've had just about every VA (roland jp8000, sh32, korg z1, prophecy, ms2000, microkorg, novation nova, x-station, redsound darkstar - just awful!, alesis micron, fusion, waldorf microq, virus B, virus C - maybe more? I've had too many! no nords though!) and, in my opinion, the An1x has the best sound of the bunch.
check out the an1x group on yahoo groups - there you can find a lot of patches, tips and tricks and a tutorial guide that yamaha put out that walks you through creating a variety sounds on the an1x.

and, like others have said, beware the venom!

if you do end up wanting to switch things up - the new(ish) roland gaia is pretty hands on and easy for creating sound - and about the same price as the venom (which is just junk really).

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:30 am

I wouldn't trade my Venom for an An1x, nor Gaia, nor MS-2000. Stuff I've owned before: MS-2000, JP-8000, Microkorg, Junos (alpha, 106), MC-303/505, Novation Supernova II. I've recently been looking into the An1x, watching youtube sound demos, fooled around with An1x at the store but haven't really gotten deep with editing on that. Sonically speaking, I think the Venom buries all of them. Yes Venom is pretty much computer-dependent for editing, but it makes up for that with mind-blowing sound capability. I could easily see why people dismiss Venom as junk by the outside appearances only. Venom is stage-worthy, just don't let your lead singer punt the synth off the stand while breaking into chorus. :lol: I couldn't agree the build quality on Gaia is any better than Venom, while Gaia costs a bit more. Playing around w/ Gaia at the store I was left with the impression it was just a re-packaged JP-8000, or SH-201, which is really all-and-good but it is the same VA supresaw sound Roland has been doing for a while but not really expanded upon. Anyway I wish I had more to say about the An1x but I've never owned one, and wouldn't even think about trading my Venom to do so.

polar69
Gear: An1x CS1x Rm1x MPD24 Stylophone Zoom gfx100 Reason Reaper

Post by polar69 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:26 pm

Thanks for all the replys so far.

In response to skizzle, I also have a cs1x and Im pretty sure its not a VA so comparing the two confuses me.

I also looked at the gaia but unless Im wrong it only has 1 osc whereas the venom appears to have 3, is that a fair statement?

I do have the an1xedit software but its dated imho.

My other reason for thinking about replacing the an1x is simply its age, its must be well over 10 years old now and whilst it does sound superb, physically its no moog and Im beginning to wonder how long it will last. (There are no problems with it electronically so far )

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:42 pm

polar69 wrote:I also looked at the gaia but unless Im wrong it only has 1 osc whereas the venom appears to have 3, is that a fair statement?
Gaia actually has 3 oscillators. Using the tone buttons you can select one, two, or all three oscillators for editing. Genius idea because it cuts down on the redundant controls. That's one thing Gaia has over Venom is patch edit without computer. Gaia also beats the Venom on polyphony with 64-notes so you could literally hold down every single key on the Gaia and not run out. Unfortunately Gaia is NOT multitimbral, where Venom can have 4-patches going in muliti-mode.

skizzle
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by skizzle » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:30 pm

(original msrp): cs1x $799.95, an1x £899, venom $599.95
i know the cs1x is not a virtual analog. i'm not trying to get off topic or unjustly bash synths, i'm only trying to relay my experience to you. in all fairness as garranimal has said, the venom needs a computer to really get things dialed in. the one i played was at guitar center, so perhaps not being able to really dive into the venom lets me dismiss it as having cheap feel and sound that is closer compared to a cs1x. this was my only reason for bringing the cs1x into the conversation.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:40 pm

had to remove my previous BS - AN1x is a TOP sounding VA. One of the best , it lacks a bit of bite vs my Prophecy which is sublime (better on the low end) but considering it's 10 note poly and all those extras...

The unison mode on AN1x combined with some PWM tones really gets very close to the real analog tone, akin to alpha juno perhaps (so not exactly prophet 5 standards) but it can emulate a lot more besides and a very good job.

It's my favourite of the older, cheaper genuine VAs.