Cheap alternatives to VOX or FARFISA?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
SkaNeverDies
Gear: Sequential Circuits Prophet 600
Moog MicroMoog
Casio CZ-1000 (x2)
Location: Bay Area, California / Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania

Cheap alternatives to VOX or FARFISA?

Post by SkaNeverDies » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:47 am

Hey everyone - it has been a LONG time since I've posted here. A tough financial situation and starting a record label forced me to part with all of my synths (Moog Micro Moog, Korg Lambda, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Casio CZ-1000) except for my Yamaha DX-7. Honestly, it's hard to think about and coming back here just bums me out! I hope one day I'll have replaced these and can join the conversation again.

But anyway, I do actually have a question. I'm getting ready to start a new project with some friends that would require a super bright 70s combo organ sound. As I've probably made clear by this point, I can't necessarily afford the real deal right now, or at least something that I'm going to have to put a lot of maintenance work into. Does anyone have any suggestions to getting that 60s/70s sound VOX/FARFISA sound for cheap? Thanks in advance!
Current vintage synths:
Sequential Circuits Prophet-600
Moog MicroMoog

Previously owned vintage synths:
Korg Lambda
Casio CZ-1000

Dano

Re: Cheap alternatives to VOX or FARFISA?

Post by Dano » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:37 am

Take this with a grain of salt (as I often say) since my only experience with the real things is from what I've heard on recordings but, having said that, I think those samples on E-Mu's Techno Synth Construction Yard ROM are good. (...also available in the Orbit 3 module.)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:40 pm

Have access to a sampler?

Check out Vintage Keyboard Sounds. He's got sample sets of a few combo organs. I've been very satisfied with his Mellotron sounds and the price is right.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:12 pm

You do have a DX7, and organs are one of the things they do well. I'm sure there must be more than a few combo organ programs floating around online.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:18 pm

There used to be all kinds of combo organs out there. These days, though, they're mostly in the landfills.

Best bet for finding an actual one is to keep your eyes peeled on the usual sources: Ebay, CL, any used musician sites, etc. I sold the last one we had in the shop about a year ago, unfortunately or I'll drop you a line. I'll keep my eyes open, too, as I know a source for them, but he's been quiet lately.

In the meantime, you might want to try a home keyboard and see if they pass. Seems to be one of the Casio models had a pretty happenin' "96 Tears" patch on it. That was a fun find!
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:13 pm

The DX-7 can definitely do good combo organs, although it takes a bit of work to make them buzz like a Vox. Get searching on the web. That's your cheapest option.

The Casio CZ is even better though, that's the one with Blue Monster 65's "96 Tears" patch.

Do you have a soft sampler? The Emu Farfisa and Vox sounds are spot on, they've been in every Emu sampler library since the Emax. I have them imported into Kontakt. I also have the vintagekeyboards.com stuff, they're excellent as meatballfulton said. He's got the Gibson that does Beatles Lucy in the Sky opening riff.

walkathon
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Post by walkathon » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:59 pm

As others said, you can likely get close w/ the DX-7. The trick to fake organs is just as much in the processing ... record it through an amp, give it air, add spring reverb, a dab of distortion, EQ to taste, etc. Props on sacrificing your other boards for starting a label, BTW.

An underrated (and sometimes underpriced) combo organ is the Farfisa Matador-R. There's a couple of versions, and the one to get is the one w/ the drawbars and built-in rhythm box. Instant High Llamas.

perfectdefect
Gear: MPC1000 Kingston MS20 Sigma PolySix JU60 JU106 RS09 TR66 200A Micro Opus 3 Stage 73
Band: infinite now

Post by perfectdefect » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:09 pm

How about a non-compact? Lots of free or very cheap organs on Craigslist. I would think some of the cheaper ones (when new) would be based on the same principles used in the combos.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:37 pm

You would be hard pressed to find anything in the ballpark that would get you close to a Continental, perhaps except for the following:

Hollowsun

Really really inexpensive, and the sample libraries are outstanding. The one thing you'll need is NI Kontakt -- but if you have that already then you might be in.

Is software an alternative for you, or is hardware a must?

Is the Nord Electro out of your price range? That might also be an alternative...
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

TheKeytarist

Post by TheKeytarist » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:14 am

This probably won't nail the sound(and I don't have any experience to say so either), but try this http://www.martinic.com/combov/

the guy is also working on a farfasia model too...

Just my thought.
"A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one."
— Benjamin Franklin

:keys1: :drums: :keys2:

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:03 am

Any of the Casio WK series with the Tonewheel Organ sim have all the necessary footages to do a fantastic Vox Continental sound with a little tweaking. It can even do a great impression of the Lowrey/Gibson G101 for the Beatles "Lucy in the Sky" and The Doors "Waiting for the Sun" sounds. I often use real Vox organs on gigs but sometimes use the Casio as a substitute.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:44 pm

Yes - the CZ-1 will do an excellent compact sound, but the WK-series is what I was thinking of.

Both are cheap enough - grab one!
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

BluMunk
Gear: RD700GX
Korg M3-61/Radias
Dave Smith PER
Virus Snow
FS1R
JV-2080/Xpanded
D-550
Matrix 6R
Proteus
QSR
Band: Sneezeguard

Post by BluMunk » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:17 pm

How cheap? I know the ROMpler suggestion can draw a lot of ire from folks here, but a used Roland JV-1010 or 1080 with the 'keys of the 60s and 70s has a lot of great combo organ options, and both the unit and card could be gotten for less than $300 if you're patient.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 pm

Thinking about it I would imagine even the more obscure combo organs like the Ace Tones and Italian brands like Gem likely aren't cheap anymore either.

Since no one posted it, here's lots of info on the genre. http://www.combo-organ.com/
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

TheKeytarist

Post by TheKeytarist » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:35 pm

I just downloaded the beta version of the farfasia, and it was pretty sweet.

http://www.martinic.com/combof/
"A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one."
— Benjamin Franklin

:keys1: :drums: :keys2: