U-He DIVA

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: U-He DIVA

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:54 am

The idea is to imitate vintage synthesizer oscillators using techniques not usually used for real-time simulation, not to be 'versatile'- to create a more accurate emulation of vintage synthesizer oscillators (and filters, etc) using a more accurate simulation of the circuits involved instead of the standard circuit-modeling techniques. So no, just loading up single-cycle wav files as oscillators wouldn't work well, unless he were imitating a K3/DW-x000/ESQ. There are plenty of VSTs that do exactly that... send sampled sound files through a modeled filter. The filter may not be modeled as well- its usually just a straight-up digital filter with some 'analog' noise, and you usually end up with something that isn't very versatile, or isn't very analog-sounding, because the oscillators are static by nature when working from a sample.

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:18 pm

Astroidmist, I do get what you're saying, and it's fine. I just felt that you were being a little unfair with some of your comments. Peace! 8-)
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:22 pm

The let's-compare-it-to-Arturia thing doesn't help this thread, IMHO.
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music

Projectile

Post by Projectile » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:23 am

astroidmist wrote:Yep, it's bogus. Just tried it again. I'm not saying people can't get good sounds out of it. I know that some very very talented sound designers can make nearly any VSTi sound good.

I think there may be a bit of placebo effect going on here with this lust for "Diva". Or maybe some sound designers put up some really impressive presets that they made? Could that be it?
You must be joking. Seriously, this has to be a joke. Diva is leaps and bounds above any other virtual analog softsynth I've ever played. It's not even funny. As far as analog emulation goes, there is nothing else out there that even touches it.

I was skeptical at first when I heard all of the hype. I've never been much of a fan of U-he's stuff at all. I never got into Ace or Zebra, and never understood what everybody was going on about. I generally don't get swept up into the hype machine anymore. I know what I like and tend to avoid the "new best thing" I even avoided downloading the beta for a few days becasue I didn't think it was even worth my attention. I honestly didn't expect to like it at all. Was I ever wrong.

Diva is a game changer. There is no question. The more I play with it, the more apparent it becomes just how realistic it is. There is so much subtle nuance and interaction in every component. I can lose myself in it for hours. It's like a living, breathing thing. What they have done with Diva is quite the technical achievement.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:14 pm

Urs commented in his very first announcement about Diva (http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=302792)
Do ACE users need this? - Nope, not really. Do Zebra users need this? Nope, not really. Diva will be a subset. Merely a beginners synth. A small little gem with hopefully a lot of personality!
Later on, he said that it's meant to be a sweet-spot synth.
Also, some of the stuff the found out when developing Diva will find its way into Zebra later on.

vladimotor
Gear: V-Synth, Kurzweil PC3le6, Akai Miniak, Korg MicroX, Godin Solidac, Breedlove AC25, Live, Samplitude pro, Zebra, Z3ta, Imposcar, Absynth 4, FM8, Pro53

Post by vladimotor » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:54 pm

Diva sounds great! On the down side - CPU spikes insanely.

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:41 pm

Projectile wrote:I've never been much of a fan of U-he's stuff at all. I never got into Ace or Zebra, and never understood what everybody was going on about.
This comment sums up our differences of opinion.

I happen to like the sounds of Zebra and Zebralette a lot and find them to be very innovative and even exciting sometimes. ACE's sounds aren't as innovative or exciting to me, but they seem very high quality for basic sounds. The interfaces I have some trouble with, but that's a separate issue. For the types of sounds I am after, I really like those three U-He products I mentioned. I think you'll probably agree that Diva is nothing like those three.

Since you didn't like those 2 or three products (Zebralette comes with Zebra and is now free), I assume that you didn't really like the sounds and prefer the types of sounds that Diva makes.

So neither one of us is lying, it's just a difference in subjective preferences for sounds.

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Post by Nannerfan » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:45 am

IF NOT "A" THEN "B"

are you a computer?
Or are you really that sub-conscious about that "dubstep 4 life" tattoo you got recently?

Whats your agenda?
What's your damage? or lack there of?

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:57 pm

Nannerfan wrote:IF NOT "A" THEN "B"

are you a computer?
Or are you really that sub-conscious about that "dubstep 4 life" tattoo you got recently?

Whats your agenda?
What's your damage? or lack there of?
:lol:

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:06 am

WTF?

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Post by Nannerfan » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:36 am

oh calm down,..

Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Post by Mr Knesh » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:52 am

I really enjoy Diva. It has a very rich character, reminiscent of using an analogue. When I sit down and make music, I also prefer the zebra to the diva. The diva has a much better interface however, and makes sound sculpting simpler. I haven't yet used the diva in any recording, mostly because of its heavy CPU usage, but it has been fun to play around with.

Projectile

Post by Projectile » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:58 am

astroidmist wrote:
So neither one of us is lying, it's just a difference in subjective preferences for sounds.
Um, read your comments again. It's one thing to say you just don't like the sound of something and another to claim that it's "bogus" and "placebo." That's not just a subjective preference.

I don't really care for Zebra, but I would never make the claim that it's "bogus" or "placebo." That would just be stupid.

The fact is that DIVA is the most authentic emulation of analog synthesis to date. If analog authenticity isn't what's important to you, that's fine. It's obviously not nearly as flexible or powerful as something like Zebra, but if you can't recognize the technological achievement in DIVA, then maybe you need to clean your ears.

Music Maven

Post by Music Maven » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:49 am

The fact is that DIVA is the most authentic emulation of analog synthesis to date. If analog authenticity isn't what's important to you, that's fine. It's obviously not nearly as flexible or powerful as something like Zebra, but if you can't recognize the technological achievement in DIVA, then maybe you need to clean your ears.
Diva may well be the most authentic emulation of analog synthesis to date, but that doesn't make it particularly interesting to me. (Notable, yes, interesting, no.) Diva still doesn't sound anywhere near as rich as my Prophet '08, for instance (a synth that many people dismiss for it's supposedly "weak" filter).

Then there is something like my Waldorf MicroWave. Now that synth has personality and attitude to spare (along with a wicked cool filter). And for those crazy analog "cross-mod" sounds (something Diva does pretty well albeit at a HUGE CPU cost,) I would still take my Waldorf Pulse any day (or even better, a Korg Mono/Poly).

h**l, even my 15-year-old Nord Rack is a lot more interesting to me than Diva. Sure, the Nord doesn't sound analog at all (nor warm, fat, etc.) But to my ears the Nord has a more unique, musically expressive sound (and has a much better interface).

Anyway, I bought Diva just because it's nice to have something analog-ish to run on my laptop (although the CPU demands make it less useful than one would hope). But when I'm in my project studio, I won't even bother to fire up Diva. I'm fortunate enough to have better tools at my disposal.

Projectile

Post by Projectile » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:48 am

I don't disagree with any of that. I thought we were talking DIVA vs. other softsysnths that try to emulate analog, not hardware vs. software.