anyone using the "hidden waves" EPROM V3.53 on their ESQ-1 ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
kushwonder
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

anyone using the "hidden waves" EPROM V3.53 on their ESQ-1 ?

Post by kushwonder » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:01 pm

have been wanting to try these "Ensoniq ESQ1 V3.5HW Hidden Waves EPROMs" from this dude on ebay, but nervous to mess up my ESQ-1....Anyone try these??? or anyone tech savy that would know if these EPROMS could potentially mess up the unit? ...thanks in advance ^_^
Last edited by kushwonder on Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

synthparts

Re: anyone using the "hidden waves" EPROM V3.5 on their ESQ-

Post by synthparts » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:06 pm

You don't have to buy some special rom cart to do this. Often you can get these "extra" waveforms when your battery goes dead and the memeory gets scramled. You can also simply send the synth a sysex dump with an "invalid" waveform number...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:09 pm

It's a legit OS. v3.5 was the final OS issued by Ensoniq.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:44 pm

Those ESQ's have a bit of a cult following these days don't they? Nice to know people are still using them in this day of a thousand other more powerful boards.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:24 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:Those ESQ's have a bit of a cult following these days don't they?
Mostly because they are cheap...

I paid $1100 for a used SQ-80 back in 1989 and played it for a good 15 years, sold it for $200 after buying a Motif.

I miss it a little simply because it was my dream synth at the time but it was time to let it go. It did have an awful lot of forward-looking features at the time, it took other companies quite a while to catch up. It's still the only sequencer I've ever used that let you A/B your edits before saving.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:35 pm

synthparts wrote:You don't have to buy some special rom cart to do this. Often you can get these "extra" waveforms when your battery goes dead and the memeory gets scramled. You can also simply send the synth a sysex dump with an "invalid" waveform number...
Yeah, mine does this every now and then. Sometimes when I start it up, the preset names are all glitched. The sounds from the presets are likewise scrambled. Haven't changed the battery yet since I store all my custom patches on a RAM cart. Though I know I'll have to do it eventually.

kushwonder
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by kushwonder » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:40 pm

synthparts wrote:You don't have to buy some special rom cart to do this. Often you can get these "extra" waveforms when your battery goes dead and the memeory gets scramled. You can also simply send the synth a sysex dump with an "invalid" waveform number...
thanks, but I know that....and I said EPROM, not ROM...the value of the EPROM would be that I can access these waves on any patch whenever without having to do that.
meatballfulton wrote:It's a legit OS. v3.5 was the final OS issued by Ensoniq.
thanks, but yeah, I know that 3.5 OS is legit...I am currently running 3.5.... This "hidden waves" OS version is actually 3.53... I see the dude on Ebay has sold like a dozen of these EPROMS already...

here's what I am talking about:

So, again....anyone of you guys on here buy one of these??

and thanks to you guys that have already tried to help ^_^

kushwonder
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by kushwonder » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:53 am

wellll, bought those EPROMS and going to install them this evening...I will have to let you guys know how it all works out...TBC

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: anyone using the "hidden waves" EPROM V3.53 on their ESQ

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:14 pm

As someone mentioned earlier, you can just send it the wrong wave number via a patch editor, and then save the "special" patch internally for future editing. You have to start with the highest wave value though because you can't scroll "up" through the extra waveforms.

I've got a specific sysex file for doing this on the SQ80 if anyone wants it.
Do you even post on vse bro?

kushwonder
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by kushwonder » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:55 pm

no OS issues since installing...works like a charm!

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:02 am

Just got an ESQ today and upgraded it with this cod v3.53 OS. It works beautifully for me as well, although has anyone else experienced the increment/decrement buttons both incrementing oscillators' wave parameter? Mildly annoying, but I'm still giddy nonetheless.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

kushwonder
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by kushwonder » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:03 am

Big Gnome wrote:Just got an ESQ today and upgraded it with this cod v3.53 OS. It works beautifully for me as well, although has anyone else experienced the increment/decrement buttons both incrementing oscillators' wave parameter? Mildly annoying, but I'm still giddy nonetheless.

sounds like your synth needs a reset...

ESQ-1 Soft Reset
I. Reset
Press and hold the (RECORD) button
Press Soft button (1) (upper left hand corner of screen), then release both buttons.
Display = ERASE ALL MEMORY AND RE-INITIALIZE
Select YES. The display returns to the sign-on message. All RAM is erased and all internal programs are reset
II. Filter Tune
Press and hold (RECORD) button

this should do the trick
Press the (FILTER) button, then release both buttons (verify that all filter values are between 140 and 160 inclusive, if they are not within these values you should probably have your unit serviced at an authorized service center).

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:59 pm

Hm. Did that a couple of times with no change. Ah well.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

rakk95
Gear: Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Roland JV 880, Alesis QSR, Alesis Micron, Korg Polysix, Yamaha TX802

Post by rakk95 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:01 am

It's not just you. It's a bona fide glitch in the OS. Does it to me, too, and no amount of resets will fix it.

Mildly annoying, but not a deal-breaker. I can bring the waveform back down to a sawtooth wave using the data slider.

A small number of the extended waveforms are quite useful, actually. Most of them only sound good in a very small range, but they are rather interesting.

I sold my original ESQ-1 (bought at Manny's Music in Manhattan in early 1987) in 1993 and promptly regretted it.

I picked up my new one - broken - a year ago for $100 and totally restored it. Never parting with it.

DY

boingboing

Post by boingboing » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:51 pm

I have to dig out this old thread - got an esq1 these days with hidden waveforms preinstalled - but i cant just access waves higher than 127 with the data slider . I am able to reach higher numbers only by pressing PLUS many many times :shock: I've done the re-initalizing and the filter reset/calibration but nothing worked out yet... is there any trick?