The great thread of electronic/synthesizer soundtracks

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1019
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:28 pm
Real name: Carl
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Video clips from "classic" movies featuring electr

Post by iProg » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:24 am

Micke wrote:So is there anyone here who's able to identify the analog polyphonic synth used on Fabio Frizzi's
Manhattan Baby soundtrack (1982)?
A PPG or Polymoog. Worst guesses ever.

User avatar
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:50 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Video clips from "classic" movies featuring electr

Post by Micke » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:42 pm

No, it's neither PPG nor Polymoog.

The synth in question was used by some very famous acts but not until a few years later. Considering that the
soundtrack to "Manhattan Baby" was recorded in the summer of 1982 it's gotta be one of the very first recordings
to feature this synth. This is a great synth but it never became successful for some reason.

Keep 'em coming!
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

User avatar
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2851
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:52 pm
Real name: Mauricio
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ
Location: Costa Rica

Re: Video clips from "classic" movies featuring electr

Post by balma » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:40 pm

Just a question man.

How did you get so knowledged about wich synth was using for x movie? Each time I hear a synth on a movie and I wonder wich one is, I think.... Micke.... Micke.....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

User avatar
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:50 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Video clips from "classic" movies featuring electr

Post by Micke » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:32 pm

My knowledge of this comes from interviews & articles on film composers and session musiicians, and conversations
I have had through the years with hundreds of more or less famous musicians. Moreover, I have a large collection of
movie soundtracks on LP & CD and in many cases the synths and gear used on a specific score are listed on the LP
sleeve or in the CD liner notes.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

User avatar
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1019
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:28 pm
Real name: Carl
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Video clips from "classic" movies featuring electr

Post by iProg » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:29 pm

Micke wrote:No, it's neither PPG nor Polymoog.

The synth in question was used by some very famous acts but not until a few years later. Considering that the
soundtrack to "Manhattan Baby" was recorded in the summer of 1982 it's gotta be one of the very first recordings
to feature this synth. This is a great synth but it never became successful for some reason.

Keep 'em coming!
Could it be a Gleeman Pentaphonic then, based on your statements?

User avatar
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:50 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Video clips from "classic" movies featuring electr

Post by Micke » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:58 pm

Nope. It's a much more (in)famous synth. As I said previously it's a great sounding and powerful poly-synth but
for various reason it never became succesfull.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

User avatar
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:50 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Video clips from "classic" movies featuring electr

Post by Micke » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:17 pm

Afaik this synth wasn't in full production until the latter half of 1982 or thereabouts (the actual synth used on the
Manhattan Baby OST was a prototype).
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

User avatar
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1019
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:28 pm
Real name: Carl
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Video clips from "classic" movies featuring electr

Post by iProg » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:56 am

Micke wrote:Nope. It's a much more (in)famous synth. As I said previously it's a great sounding and powerful poly-synth but
for various reason it never became succesfull.
Elka Synthex?

User avatar
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:50 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Video clips from "classic" movies featuring electr

Post by Micke » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:40 pm

Yessss...:thumbsup: Elka synthex is correct!

Here's a photo of the actual synth used on the score:
http://www.synthorama.com/search?q=elka ... ce=message

It was built by Mario Maggi for film composer/keyboardist Gianni Mazza, who played the synth on the recording
sessions. Maurizio Guarini (of Goblin) usually played the synths on Frizzi's scores but in this particular case he was
busy with another project.

I recently bought the remastered and expanded CD's of Fabio Frizzi's scores to "The Beyond" and "Manhattan Baby"
and I love 'em.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

themilford
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 820
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:19 am
Real name: David
Gear: Oberheim: OB-8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Yamaha CS-15, Akai AX-60, S612, Moog Taurus 3, Alesis MMT-8, HR-16, Fender Bass IV, Rickenbacker 620/6, Crumar Trilogy
Band: Season Finale
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Re: Video clips from "classic" movies featuring electr

Post by themilford » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:08 pm

what a beast of a synth.

here's a neat vid:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9570281770

MrFrodo
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 952
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:29 pm
Real name: Eric
Location: New York, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Video clips from "classic" movies featuring electr

Post by MrFrodo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:39 pm

themilford wrote:what a beast of a synth.

here's a neat vid:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9570281770
Okay, that is one of the greatest synth videos I've seen in a while, and it's due equally to Paul Wiffen's demonstration AND his remarks.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

User avatar
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1019
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:28 pm
Real name: Carl
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Video clips from "classic" movies featuring electr

Post by iProg » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:58 am

Micke wrote:Yessss...:thumbsup: Elka synthex is correct!

Here's a photo of the actual synth used on the score:
http://www.synthorama.com/search?q=elka ... ce=message

It was built by Mario Maggi for film composer/keyboardist Gianni Mazza, who played the synth on the recording
sessions. Maurizio Guarini (of Goblin) usually played the synths on Frizzi's scores but in this particular case he was
busy with another project.

I recently bought the remastered and expanded CD's of Fabio Frizzi's scores to "The Beyond" and "Manhattan Baby"
and I love 'em.
It sounds so digustingly good! Nick Rhodes of Duran Duran bought one before the production of "All you need is now", along with a new Moog Voyager and ARP Quadra, but I don't now where or if he used it.

Paul's video is truly fantastic.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:55 pm
Location: Portland, ME

Re: Video clips from "classic" movies featuring electr

Post by tomorrowstops » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:34 am

Just watched Flash Gordon (1980) today for the first time. Queen sounds great on this, as do the orchestral cues from Howard Blake. Am I hearing Prophet 5 all over this or an Oberheim?

Any anecdotes on this one, Micke?

I haven't really investigated yet, but did anyone release the score in its entirety (both Queen's cues and Blake's)? I see a set of just Queen's cues on itunes....

MrFrodo
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 952
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:29 pm
Real name: Eric
Location: New York, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Video clips from "classic" movies featuring electr

Post by MrFrodo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:38 am

tomorrowstops wrote:Just watched Flash Gordon (1980) today for the first time. Queen sounds great on this, as do the orchestral cues from Howard Blake. Am I hearing Prophet 5 all over this or an Oberheim?

Any anecdotes on this one, Micke?
Well, they definitely used Oberheim. I know I'm not Micke, but I recall reading that the OB-Xa was one synthesizer in their arsenal. Don't know about any other models.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

Virgule
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 377
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:46 pm

Re: Video clips from "classic" movies featuring electr

Post by Virgule » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:55 am

tomorrowstops wrote: I haven't really investigated yet, but did anyone release the score in its entirety (both Queen's cues and Blake's)? I see a set of just Queen's cues on itunes....
I found cases of cassette tapes on the side of the road last fall and it was one of the few I kept. It's pretty good even without the movie. The track list is the same as on here:

http://www.discogs.com/Queen-Flash-Gord ... ase/456643

Post Reply