What's the must realistic Subtractive/VA VST synth you know?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Hobbitrabbit
Gear: [microKorg][JP8K][Sylenth][Nexus2][Vanguard][Epiphone Les Paul]
Band: Waveshapes

What's the must realistic Subtractive/VA VST synth you know?

Post by Hobbitrabbit » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:52 pm

Looking to add new software to my lineup. Basically, I want non-preset based synths so I can get some hardcore editing going on, but also, realism is key, of course. So what do you recommend? I already have Sylenth, Vanguard, and an Arturia Moog Modular, but as far as hyper-realistic VST's, that's all I've got.
<<Visualize Music>>

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 1 old Japanese mono-monster, an old BBC Brit, and 2 Americans: one old NY fat poly, the other, a young Californian mono/para.

Re: What's the must realistic Subtractive/VA VST synth you k

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:56 pm

U-He's Diva.
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:00 pm

FM8

Click the precious link in my sig!
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:36 pm

What do you mean by realistic? :?

Hobbitrabbit

Post by Hobbitrabbit » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:17 pm

tekkentool wrote:What do you mean by realistic? :?
I mean most accurate emulation.
<<Visualize Music>>

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:03 am

Hobbitrabbit wrote:
tekkentool wrote:What do you mean by realistic? :?
I mean most accurate emulation.
of?

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:52 am

I'm guessing analog. Which leads me to wonder why you would want to emulate something that is already so accessable. :?

I've thought about this whole industry-wide obsession with emulation a bit recently. I've come to the conclusion that it just ends up being a farce. To me, emulation in and of itself is always going to fall short. Simply because different types of technology will always behave differently. I'm not saying 100% emulation could not be done, but I'm just not convinced yet. We've already had the unamazing component modeling of Korg, what next electron modeling? Copper temperature coefficient modelling? Come on.. :roll:

As a musician, if you're serious I'd advise not to buy into all that manufacturer motivated c**p.

Call me a purist if you will, I just say use your ears. (and by saying that I'm not necessarily implying either is "better" that the other) ;)

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:50 am

Well, since this is the software synthesizers section, I'd say the answer he is likely looking for is 'Diva'. Yes, more accurate models consume more CPU. Yes, models are getting more accurate. If things like Diva use 'too much' of your CPU, it may be time for you to upgrade.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:25 pm

As well as Diva, look into u-he's A.C.E. You might find this overlaps with the Arturia Moog however. The u-he stuff is particularly nice because it's designed with the sonics in mind, not the CPU load.
I'm guessing analog. Which leads me to wonder why you would want to emulate something that is already so accessable.
Maybe because he just prefers or needs ITB. I owned real analog gear back in the day and have owned a number of modern instruments, including some modulars. As much as I liked them, I got rid of all of it except a DSI Evolver.

For $100 A.C.E. does a fantastic job of covering what my last modular (about $3K worth when I sold it) could do...plus it's polyphonic, has patch storage, MIDI automation, etc. Not for everyone, but a good fit for me.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:25 pm

GMedia impOSCar.

Projectile

Post by Projectile » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:50 am

DIVA by a longshot. There is no contest. I love plenty of other VA's. They are great in their own ways, but if we are talking sheer analog authenticity, there is no doubt that the technology used in DIVA is the future. It is the only softsynth I've ever played that really sounds like analog circuits.

ryandfl

Post by ryandfl » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:46 pm

Diva sounds seriously good. Check out some Soundcloud demos. I liked it so much that I jumped into real analog shortly after it came out. If that makes any sense.

It requires so much CPU for polyphony at the top quality settings that you may end up spending more on a new computer than you would on getting a couple real analogs, though. But then you have all the flexibility of software, it will never break, presets and all that.

If it had a dedicated control surface that could handle switching between instances of Diva smoothly, it would be insane. I've thought about getting a BCR2000 to dedicate to a couple instances of it.

Hobbitrabbit

Post by Hobbitrabbit » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:12 am

I have an exceedingly powerful computer, AMD Phenom x6 and 8gigs RAM, among other things. I can handle it :D
<<Visualize Music>>

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:50 am

I've not heard Diva yet but if it simulates voice tolerances, I owe it to myself to try it out. Of my own plugs, Sonic Projects OPX Pro II, with a bit of midrange notch EQ, is my pick.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:27 am

ryandfl wrote:If it had a dedicated control surface that could handle switching between instances of Diva smoothly, it would be insane.
You'd better not watch this video
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.