Jupiter 6 Voice Layering

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
dzlvs8
Gear: Tons and tons of ridiculously expensive keyboards.

Jupiter 6 Voice Layering

Post by dzlvs8 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:58 pm

I was recently blessed with the opportunity to rip off some kid and get his Jupiter 6 for less than half the going rate. I didn't think I would like the super bright, super 80's sound, but it is so unique and powerful that I have fell in love with it. So now I am looking into getting the Europa mod. However, much to my surprise, I am not finding anything on layering sounds. Because you can split the keyboard, I assumed that either as a stock system or with the Europa mod you could layer two sounds (two different voice settings per note, for a total of three notes).

Is this possible with or without the Europa mod? I've searched the Europa manual and cant find anything on layering of voice assignment.

schmidtc

Re: Jupiter 6 Voice Layering

Post by schmidtc » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:29 pm

IIRC, layering is in the new Europa version that's currently in Beta.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:09 pm

The best thing about being my age is that we don't really care when we well stuff well under market value. :lol:
soundcloud.com/vectron

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:32 pm

The Stock Jupiter 6 doesn't layer sounds. With Europa version 2 it can do layering although it is not full-service three and three. It's two and four so there will be some limitations.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

drawtippy
Band: Draw Tippy

Post by drawtippy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:43 pm

Congrats on the 6. It's as loved as it is hated. Currently you can't layer sounds, only split the keyboard. I don't know much about the new Europa but I have the old one and it's amazing. Yes, removing a board from your synth and shipping it off can be scary but it's well worth it. Best/weirdest Europa feature? Random patch generator. It sometimes provides great starting points for building sounds you didn't even think the 6 could do.

have fun!
Visit http://www.arttestmusic.com

Voyager, JP-6, Pro-One, 800DV, CZ-101, VL-1, Micron, Solina, OB-Xa, JX-8P, Sid Station, xoxbox

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:54 am

Yes Europa 2.0 beta which I've been testing for a long time has layer mode and the other really cool thing is 5 times the patch memory. The only real problem holding it up is a bug with external arpeggiator timing.
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

dzlvs8
Gear: Tons and tons of ridiculously expensive keyboards.

Post by dzlvs8 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:57 pm

synthparts wrote:Yes Europa 2.0 beta which I've been testing for a long time has layer mode and the other really cool thing is 5 times the patch memory. The only real problem holding it up is a bug with external arpeggiator timing.
AWESOME, if I assume correctly that any regular europa owner will be able to get the beta software. That is kind of a bummer about the external arp clock though. The timing in the J6 is terrible. I assume that if I don't like the beta software I can revert to older versions of the software? If someone can confirm that I will drop my money on some delicious europa asap!

ps. Doug stop hanging out in forums and get my j6 sliders in the mail! ;) A stuck VCF LFO is no fun. Thanks, Steve