Looking for a budget 'fragile' sounding synth

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
dannyfc

Looking for a budget 'fragile' sounding synth

Post by dannyfc » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 pm

So I'm after my first hardware synthesizer, looking to spend no more than £200 ($300).

Want I'm after is that fragile typically analog sound thats hard to replicate with soft synths, the most luck I've had is with Arturia's CS-80V by utilising the wandering sub-oscillators.

I'm not looking for much in terms of functionality, just a Poly synth with some nice filters really.

So far I've been looking out for Redsound's Darkstar, and the Alesis Micron. Both VAs but have that 'edgy' character you don't get in soft synth. As a contrast, I was recently offered an Xiosynth for relatively cheap and found the sound totally lifeless. I'm into Lo-Fi music, so any warbling or inconsistent tuning is a bonus.

I hope this gives enough insight, and can provide some much appreciated suggestions. This is new ground for me so don't bite my head of if some of my information is slightly ignorant. :?

Thanks, Dan :D

dannyfc

Re: Looking for a budget 'fragile' sounding synth

Post by dannyfc » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:04 pm

After further reading it appears what I'm after is a cheap 'Analog-modelling' synth, any suggestions?

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:14 pm

I suggest next time you put a thread like this in the appropriate section. :thumbright:

ravenmek

Post by ravenmek » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:41 am

I had a miniak ( =micron) and a Xio, both of them are really good sounding if you program them carefully.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:29 am

Easy... ESQ-1/SQ-80.
Done.
Do you even post on vse bro?

dannyfc

Post by dannyfc » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:55 am

How about the VFX SD?

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:16 am

dannyfc wrote:How about the VFX SD?

No, not easily.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:39 am

Those kind of sounds are pretty easy to get with any synth if you know how to program it. Use LFOs on pitch, HPF as well as LPF to thin the sound out, a bit of reverb helps too.

nogginj

Post by nogginj » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:54 am

for true lo-fi my vote goes for an old beater organ every time.
hit up craigslist, swap meets, grandmas...spend very little money invest lots and lots of love.

esq-1 is also a very good suggestion.

'lo-fi' with 'dsp' is a bit of an oxymoron to me but im always excited to be proven wrong.

dannyfc

Post by dannyfc » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:02 am

Ashe37 wrote:
dannyfc wrote:How about the VFX SD?

No, not easily.
Not easily obtainable or doesn't achieve the sound very easily?

nogginj you're right, Lo-Fi was probably the wrong terminology to what I'm trying to describe. Basically just a raw sound with intrinsic imperfections that give sonic variation and character.

It is possible to emulate such behaviour in soft synths with pitch modulation and various plug-ins, but IMO I don't think you can sufficiently create the richness of timbre that certain hardware gives.

Appreciate the replies guys, apologies for posting in the wrong place originally!

Dr Amazing

Post by Dr Amazing » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:22 am

My two cents...no software or virtual analog sounds like analog. Doesn't come close.

But I did own an Ion (same engine as the Micron) and I could get it sounding pretty damn similar to my Juno and Prodigy...albeit a bit flatter...it was closer than I was expecting it to get.

I was also never super happy with Ion...I never found any really uses for it other than trying to make it sound like my analogs...although I think people seem to really love it!

dannyfc

Post by dannyfc » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:48 pm

Thats true enough, and on a budget I wouldn't really expect to get close to an analog. Still these Analog-Modeling ones still have some character of their own, and sound less clinical compared to some of the other digital ones.

Any other suggestions?

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:12 pm

Novation K-Station maybe. As stated above the 'fragile'ness comes from programming.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

James Mandible

Post by James Mandible » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:18 am

dannyfc wrote:]Still these Analog-Modeling ones still have some character of their own, and sound less clinical compared to some of the other digital ones.
Personally I've found it's the opposite as far as sounding clinical goes, my Miniak has a much colder sound than my TX81Z for example. I haven't checked it against anything more current like a Blofeld though. Not to say the Miniak/Micron/Ion is a bad series of synths, quite the contrary, I agree it's got it's own character, not bad, just different. Speaking of, there are/were a few stores in the US selling Miniaks at rock-bottom prices. If it's a VA you want and you're on a budget, that might be the one to look into if you can find a place that still has them for cheap and will ship to the UK.

thehighesttree

Post by thehighesttree » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:51 pm

I'm totally biased, but within your price range you might consider the Korg R3. It has a feature called "Analog Tuning" that applies a random tonal offset (within a controllable range) to your notes. When you use this along with other features like sample+hold and filters you can make a sound that really trembles randomly like an old voltage-controlled synth. This effect can be applied to whatever base tone you want (even other instruments by using the audio-in as a waveform!) You really can't go wrong with the R3 as a starting synth unless you've been playing keys all your life and need more than 8-note poly.