Synths that you loved before, but have now gone off

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Infrasound
Gear: Smack, Crack, Acid

Synths that you loved before, but have now gone off

Post by Infrasound » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:31 pm

I'm curious about other people's opinions.

Do people find that as time goes on that they go off synthesizers which they have had acquired after having a lot of GAS for it?

In 2008 I bought a Novation X-Station, which at the time I thought was incredible. I thought the whole 3-in-1 thing was a pretty good idea and loved the fact it was covered in knobs and sliders. I still use it as a controller and audio interface. The audio interface is limited to 16 bit/44 kHz and won't win any awards, but it does the job well enough. The controller part of it is great. It's well designed, allows me to integrate hardware synths with my computer, and I use it all the time.

I think that the synthesizer itself sounds pretty ordinary. When I first bought it I was in love with all the real time controls, and I didn't think the sound was too bad. It's a fairly generic VA, but the longer I've had it, the weaker its sound seems to get. I have heard people creating decent sounds with it, and there are certain sounds it is ok at, but in general I don't like its sound. The synthesizer part sounds very anemic next to my other hardware synths, and also certain VSTs I use.

I had a Blofeld a few years ago which I also went off. This was nothing to do with the sound and everything to do with the fact that I had no idea what I was doing with it. I sold the far superior sounding Blofeld and got the X-Station which taught me far more about synthesis, due to the layout. A few months ago I acquired the Creamware Prodyssey which I think is wonderful. It's sounds are pretty good - it is no Odyssey, but it certainly sounds good for a VA. The layout is great. 1 slider per-function and very quick to edit. I also have the desktop Evolver. Sounds great, and I am finding my way around it, but it is a little tedious (but what to expect for $450?) for real-time control.

Anyone else have similar feelings about a synth? Synth's you have loved but have now fallen by the wayside. Was it the sound, the interface, or something else?

taigareverie

Re: Synths that you loved before, but have now gone off

Post by taigareverie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:34 pm

No, all the synths that I bought with love, I love a lot more after years of playing them. No exceptions. :D
It's perhaps because I don't own any tools. I only have musical instruments that I enjoy playing by hand and which motivate me with their sounds.
Last edited by taigareverie on Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:36 pm

Think I'm the same actually, the more you get, the less ground you need the next one to cover, so it just gets better exponentially haha :D

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:06 pm

Infrasound wrote:Do people find that as time goes on that they go off synthesizers which they have had acquired after having a lot of GAS for it?
No. Loved them when I got them, love them still. Of course, some are loved more than others, but I kind of knew that would be the case when I bought the synths in question.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:31 pm

Infrasound wrote:Do people find that as time goes on that they go off synthesizers which they have had acquired after having a lot of GAS for it?
In my case it's more like how much do I need the synth vs. something else. I've sold a few because I needed some gear for gigs or because there was significant overlap with my other gear.

That doesn't mean I didn't love them. I do miss my dotcom modulars (I've owned two in the past) but they were guilty pleasures, not essential instruments.

Of course there's also the instruments I GASsed over only to be disappointed once I had them.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:47 pm

I used to really crush on my Supernova II mainly because it was capable of sounding Oberheim-ish. After using it in some progressive house tracks it was really taking me into a trance-y direction. So I swapped it for an Oberheim and haven't looked back.

Over the years I've been hot and cold for Yamaha FM synths. Flipped DX-7s, TX81Zs, DX-27. Long story short: a TX81Z is back in the picture now, I'm actually getting in depth with programming it and loving every minute.

I've gone completely cold on single Osc analogs: Juno-106, Alpha Juno, Polysix (I do miss the ensemble tho).

Microkorg amazed me w/ it's MS2K engine, but got burned out on the small keys really fast.

Miniak and Wavestation SR wowed me w/ all their sound possibilities but editing was so tedious. And I do have a high threshold for editing tedium so that says something.

ApolloBoy
Gear: Korg ARP Odyssey
Korg Minilogue
Korg Monotron
Korg Volca Beats
Roland Jupiter-4
Roland JX-10
Squier P-Bass
Yamaha CS01
Yamaha CS-10

Post by ApolloBoy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:31 am

I used to be big on my JX-10 for most of the time I owned it. I still think it's a monster of a synth and there are times where I miss having a twin-oscillator polysynth with the flexibility that the JX had. But on the other hand, the Alpha Dial got annoying for programming and PG-800s were starting to rise in price during the last couple of years I had it. The fact that the Sysex implementation was crippled didn't help either.

The AX-60 was a neat synth but the single VCO was a bit confining and I always hated how steppy the sliders were, which made tweaking on the fly near impossible. Sure it sounded like a cut-down Prophet-5 and had a flexible arpeggiator, but it got a bit tiring after a while.

I'm almost going through a similar period with my Juno. It's a nice sounding synth and it's a cinch to use, but now I kind of wish I sprung for a monosynth instead as I originally planned. The Juno does a few things that my Jupiter-4 can't, but I'm finding that I get more out of the JP-4 than I do with the Juno, despite the former's limitations and lack of MIDI.
Had: DX7, AX-60, SR-16, Yamaha TQ5, 01/WFD, Juno-106, MG-1, JX-03
Want: OB-6, Prophet 6, Jupiter-6

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:15 am

I bought a DX7 when I was 14 because I thought it looked cool. Spent every cent of my money on it: $250.
lol

Was a good synth though, and we took good care of each other.
soundcloud.com/vectron

DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:36 am

I enjoyed my D-5 for the one or two months that it was my only synth. Now I'm waiting to get replacement keys so I can sell it rather cheap.
The vaccine for the Access Virus.

Roland Jupiter-8 / SH-101 / RS-09 / MKS-30
Moog Matriarch
Korg MS-20 Kit
Boss CE-300
Yamaha DX7
Akai S5000
Elektron Analog RYTM

lazerface
Gear: Tempest, JX3P, Pro-One, Roland Gaia, Monotribe
Band: Solaires

Post by lazerface » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:26 am

Moog Little Phatty,
sounds great, easy to use..
but so damn limited..

got bored and picked up a mopho, which I love..

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:49 am

Korg Triton LE. Enough said.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:22 pm

I used to enjoy a korg dw-8000 that i had, more than other hardware pieces. I sold it becuase i went through a strong VA phase and needed money lol. But after I sold my VAs (not that i am against VA) i found satisfaction in software and vintage to modern hardware.
Funny enough, i remember at one time i wanted an x-station. It would have been ironic (not really) if i bought one with the dw's money. I feel like i am much happier with software, my m-audio oxygen 49, and my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 than i would have been with the x-station

Infrasound
Gear: Smack, Crack, Acid

Post by Infrasound » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:37 am

If I were shopping for a controller keyboard and audio interface now, I would certainly be looking at the Focusrite Scarlett. Possibly I'd want 4 inputs and the new Akai EIE look really nice. A Prophet 08 PE for double duty as synth and midi keys which also lot of knobs which could control midi cc's. Then let the Ipad control the rest.

I am pretty happy with my set-up as it is and certainly haven't gone off my current hardware synths. I bought Animoog when it was released and only recently have I started playing it again - it's a lot of fun, with a reasonably nice sound. It would be ridiculous to complain about considering how much it cost. The only items I have GAS for at the moment are the Prophet 08, and a stereo microphone (Rode NT5 is very tempting). I would really like a 2 oscillator analogue polyphonic synth, and if a VA came along with the right sound, and similar specs to the Prophet I would probably buy it.

When I first got the X-Station, I thought it sounded really good. With more experience and exposure to better sounding synths, I notice the difference in sound quality. I still think it is a nice unit and I've seen a couple of them (49 keys) selling for between $300-350. For somewhen getting started using computers for music, and also interested in synths, I couldn't think of a better buy. I've had no problems with the unit other than a solitary encoder which can be a little glitchy when turned quickly.
Even though I've gone off the synth, I use the X-Station daily, and have no such feelings about the rest of the unit. One other good thing about it, is it is covered in knobs and sliders, and a reasonably well designed interface. Not quite a knob per function, but logically set out. After the horrors of Blofeld programming for a synth beginner, the X-Station helped me understand substractive analogue style synthesis very quickly. Now I have a desktop Evolver with the Matrix style of parameter control and it's not too daunting for basic synthesis. I think the layout is a bit schizophrenic compared to the Blofeld, but still easier to program.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:43 am

Used to really GAS for an oberheim and a Dual rectifier. Now I just GAS for nice microphones and an ENGL....

(I'd like a mini though)

jeffrey1121
Gear: Moog LP, Blofeld, MoPho, Machinedrum, ART FXR, Reason, FL Studio

Post by jeffrey1121 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:18 pm

juno 106. loved mine when i first got it--it was my first synth ever--but a voice chip died almost immediately :( so even when i stacked what voices were left, it still sounded thin and nasally. :x but i still loved it.
then i learned more about monosynths/other synths and it's single oscillator began to look like some weak sauce. :| i ended up selling it but having said that if it had worked properly it would have made a great synth.