The Wonderful World of Wireless MIDI

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
walkathon
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

The Wonderful World of Wireless MIDI

Post by walkathon » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:46 pm

The MidAir amazon reviews are not terribly kind ...

Curious if anyone's had better luck, or can suggest alternates. Anything in the affordable range, or is this tech truly "get what you pay for?"

cgren72

Re: The Wonderful World of Wireless MIDI

Post by cgren72 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:50 pm

lol reminds me of "the golden age of wireless"

walkathon
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Post by walkathon » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:53 pm

Ha! c**p, missed the obvious there. ;-)

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:08 am

I had a MidAir interface for awhile. it seemed to work ok for me (used it with a roland ax1). i didn't try to stretch its coverage. and i usually only played with it at gigs. it was really helpful to go FOH and hear what the PA sounded like, etc. that said, i don't buy anything from m-audio anymore. every other m-audio product i've owned broke. the MIDAir still worked when i sold it, but who knows how long that would have lasted.

rjd2

Post by rjd2 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:40 am

M-Audio wireless MIDI in action:

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:54 am

:dancer: Commissioner Crotchbuttons! :dancer:

Infrasound
Gear: Smack, Crack, Acid

Post by Infrasound » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:13 am

I don't know if this would serve exactly the same function but I've been using my ipad as a wireless midi controller and it has been completely flawless.

A little more expensive but now that the stupidly named Ipad (that's Ipad number 3 for normal people who can count thanks Apple!), the original Ipad can be found quite cheaply. I'm not sure over how far it can transmit, and you'll need to have a WIFI modem, and some midi controller software. I've got both TouchAble and Midi Touch and I think it cost me between $50-60 for both programs.

I control both hardware synths and software. The are some nicely designed synths like SynthX, Samplewiz and Animoog which make use of Ipad layout nicely (although I think the knobs on Animoog suck and Moog perhaps missed a trick there). There really are so many functions which this device can fulfil really well, but IMO it really stands out as a controller. I'd like more screen space for larger layouts but I might follow my own advice and get a second one.

I really don't know how it would perform in the way you have described, but there is a fair choice of apps in production for FOH audio mixer duties, so it may be worth checking out. I don't want to come across as a evangelical, nor an Apple fanboy (many things I hate about that company + a predominantly PC person), but this little rectangle has seriously impacted on my workflow in a most productive way. I have a few midi niggles with USB and 5 din Midi, but seriously nada with midi over WIFI.
Unfortunately you would need a computer so maybe not so good. There's a device called iconnectmidi which will let everything (usb, 5 din, ipad) talk to each other but not wireless I think.