Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
volumetrik

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by volumetrik » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:54 pm

imho, I think this is really a great synth.

if you compare this to the mopho keyboard...

the mopho seems like DSI wanted to make something robust and affordable.

but this is like they were inspired to make a great analog synth, not just putting togther 2 osc and a filter, but looking back to the past and building on and staying true, making it exotic and innovative, its just too good for the price.

once it gets out there and more people get their hands on it, there will be more demos and more people would be
able to check it out at their friends house and stores, it will sell a lot more...how will Arturia respond to such demand though?

btw the experienced synth people have said nothing but good things about it.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:00 pm

I've really decided on getting one immediately when they arrive. I've bought lots of synths during the years, but this one I'm likely to buy untested, even. I've had vintage monosynths and polysynths and everything in between.

The layout just looks good, and videos show it's possibility for weird sounds. And I'm a sucker for those, not just making creamy minimoog leads and bass sounds.

Been mailing back and forth with the local store about getting one when they get a few. Hopefully they can put me on some kind of waiting list, didn't hear back yet. This thing is so elusive you just gotta grab one as soon as possible, or be stuck on the fence for another two months waiting for more to arrive..

also, it's not much bigger than my computer keyboard, so it fits very snuggly on my desk in front of the computer, unlike some 61-key monster.

The supersaw makes up for the lack of 2 VCO's, and the metalizer and brute factor just makes everything nasty. :twisted:
Last edited by Bitexion on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:05 pm

volumetrik,

There's nothing innovative about the MiniBrute other than the Metalizer (maybe). It's got better mod routings than 70s monos (a good thing) but nothing compared to what DSI offers. It's as retro as you can get, not that there is anything wrong with that.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:11 pm

But we don't really WANT innovative, didn't this thread prove that? We want something classic that is still affordable and not 30 years old and covered in smoke stains and coffee marks and chipped wood. That's what we get.
I'm sure arturia could have made a mono version of the Origin HW, but gladly they went all out analog on this.

Metalizer is something I've never seen on a mono before at least. Some strange modulation of the triangle wave, sounds like messing with DX7 algorithms when you don't know which ones to choose and pick a random one and start tweaking.

Brute factor is nothing new, but you at least don't have to connect an extra cable at the back of the synth to get it done.
Last edited by Bitexion on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:12 pm

I'm sure there were last minute issues causing the delay...I recall the S&S article mentioning the arpeggiator wasn't quite finished in their review unit.

It's not their first HW anyway, they have been building Origin and Spark for a while now.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:37 pm

meatballfulton wrote:volumetrik,

There's nothing innovative about the MiniBrute other than the Metalizer (maybe). It's got better mod routings than 70s monos (a good thing) but nothing compared to what DSI offers. It's as retro as you can get, not that there is anything wrong with that.
The Steiner filter and all the OSC possibilities while being a true VCO is innovative to me in an analog synth. It is a unique combination and not found anywhere else.

also I don't really see this as just "retro" because majority of VAs/Plugins try extremely hard to sound analog and they fail, might aswell just make the real thing.
Last edited by volumetrik on Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:40 pm

The metalizer is just a waveshaper, very common in the modular world. Good that it's getting into the hands of more people though.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:53 pm

meatballfulton wrote:I'm sure there were last minute issues causing the delay...I recall the S&S article mentioning the arpeggiator wasn't quite finished in their review unit.

It's not their first HW anyway, they have been building Origin and Spark for a while now.
I'm not so bothered with the delay, but with the tenuous release dates that seem to keep appearing. Giving these incrementally closer release dates just causes annoyance. I think there'd be a lot less bitching if they just said December, and surprised us in September.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:11 pm

I'm happy to say they will reserve one for me at the store, and call me up when they get them. Then I'll just walk over there and pick it up. Now the wait doesn't seem so long, at least I don't have to worry of them selling out and having to wait another few months to play with it.

So I'll be one of the first in Norway to have one.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:18 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:The metalizer is just a waveshaper, very common in the modular world. Good that it's getting into the hands of more people though.
Damn, my modular doesn't have a waveshaper. Must...get...one :ugeek:

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:34 pm

Sorry if I'm being picky ;)
volumetrik wrote:The Steiner filter and all the OSC possibilities while being a true VCO is innovative to me in an analog synth. It is a unique combination and not found anywhere else.
There are Steiner filter clone modules and at the end of the day it's just another filter from the past (where's the innovation?). Same with the waveshaper.
also I don't really see this as just "retro" because majority of VAs/Plugins try extremely hard to sound analog and they fail, might as well just make the real thing.
The lack of program memory and MIDI control (again, areas where DSI pwns) is retro. So, yeah it is the "real thing", but it's still a throwback. I have no problem with that, I only have a problem calling it innovative to turn back the clock 30 years.

OK, I'm done :help:

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:02 am

meatballfulton wrote: The lack of program memory and MIDI control (again, areas where DSI pwns) is retro. So, yeah it is the "real thing", but it's still a throwback. I have no problem with that, I only have a problem calling it innovative to turn back the clock 30 years.
ok I agree calling it innovative is a bit going too far, but it just seems that way when you look at the feature set.

btw it may have been discovered 30 years ago but this in no way makes it "antique", analog sound is unmatched by modern digital equivalents so this makes it timeless imo. also someone may invent a new filter or some other circuit tomorrow so theres still room for innovation, because it hasn't all been done.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:37 am

I think the word you're looking for is 'novel', rather than innovative.

If you're looking for analogue innovation, have a look at the Eurorack scene. New modules coming out all the time, oscillators that are also filters, things that don't even really have categories for them yet, people doing stuff with it that the manufacturers and designers hadn't even thought of.

PS analogue doesn't automatically mean good sounding and digital bad sounding, lots of examples of the other way round.

jimtheswede

Post by jimtheswede » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:40 am

It IS innovative in the design - not neccessarily in the actual components used. What other analog synth manufactured recently has used the osc. mixer, multi mode filter, brutilizer, etc., with CV and Midi/USB? I don't think anything - especially by the "big three". What else is out there to compare (other than getting into modulars)?

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:49 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I think the word you're looking for is 'novel', rather than innovative.

If you're looking for analogue innovation, have a look at the Eurorack scene. New modules coming out all the time, oscillators that are also filters, things that don't even really have categories for them yet, people doing stuff with it that the manufacturers and designers hadn't even thought of.

PS analogue doesn't automatically mean good sounding and digital bad sounding, lots of examples of the other way round.
Great post.

I feel like I'm the only one not excited about this at all. It looks neat but... meh. I'll just go play with my modular for a bit. :)