Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:46 am

sensorium wrote:A.G.,

After viewing your videos, I became curious: Are you a paid spokesperson for Arturia and the Minibrute? I apologize if this was covered, but I didn't see a mention of it. I think it's always good to have transparency on the topic if that does happen to be the case. Thanks.
Its called a 'review'.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:35 am

He is payed by noone. Just because someone has a positive review of an item, doesn't mean he's on their payroll :)

My guess is that he used his influence as part of the bob moog foundation to influence Arturia into sending him a prerelease version of the synth to create som extra buzz for it. It certainly worked.

Or maybe the Jedi Mind Trick, we all know Marc can be VERY convincing.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:37 pm

sensorium wrote:A.G.,

After viewing your videos, I became curious: Are you a paid spokesperson for Arturia and the Minibrute? I apologize if this was covered, but I didn't see a mention of it. I think it's always good to have transparency on the topic if that does happen to be the case. Thanks.
Oh... um... well, yeah... uhhh transparency is always a good thing.
I mean... of course! Yes. I don't... umm know... why this wasn't... mentioned. I swear I wasn't trying to be deceptive! It just... slipped my mind.
Of course I was paid to say those things! The MiniBrute couldn't possibly do all the things I demonstrate that it does, and I couldn't possibly enjoy it enough to be enthusiastic.
Yes, these days I am paid to endorse corporate products, and because people are sheep, I just wander around the internet lying about products I'm paid to lie about. Corporations value my opinion so much that they'll pay me for that. That's how cool I am.
But... I mean... I hope that doesn't damage my credibility at all.
:roll:

Listen: first and foremost, I'm a musician. Second and foremost, I'm an analog synthesist. Third and foremost, I'm an electronic music historian. No one buys my loyalty, and no one buys a positive critique from me. You get what I think, and what I think is based upon a variety of criteria that has nothing to do with money or gifts.
If you know me... and you probably should, having had to tolerate so many of my rants, I have my own view of things. In fact, many of you might be able to dig up times where I have openly criticized Arturia for trying to emulate analog. If you've watched any of my demos, you know what things appeal to me... it's not a mystery.
Many have questioned my enthusiasm regarding the MiniBrute, and to be honest, I think it's due to their own lack of focus. If someone's going to put out a modern analog synthesizer which is meant to embrace the spirit of the analog synthesizers of yore, there's going to be a few ways it's going to have to be done to appeal to old-school analog synth lovers like me. These are not subjective ways, either- they're quite concrete. And, Arturia did it right. I'm enthusiastic in those videos because I am literally enthusiastic. It was hard for me to even shoot those videos because I SO wanted to just stop shooting and start making MUSIC with the damned thing... but I didn't have enough time.

Anyway: I have received absolutely NO compensation for demoing the MiniBrute, nor for anything I've said about it online or elsewhere. I do not work for Arturia. Likewise, I don't work for Moog Music. I don't lie about this s**t, and I am not a puppet for companies. To even suggest such a thing, you must think that there is some falsehood in my statements or claims... and if that's the case, you're welcome to point any of these perceived instances out. I'll be glad to address them.

As for how the MiniBrute demo came about: I played it at NAMM. I loved it. I wanted to demo it. I called them on my own- not related to the BMF, and said: "hey, I love the MiniBrute. If you sent me one, even for a short time, I'd love to demo it on my YouTube channel." As a guy who does demos for Moog and has a YouTube channel approaching 5 million views which is specifically aimed at that precise demographic, they happened to know who I was and what I do. They said yes. Sent me the synth. I played it. Sent it back (and even paid for it, because the Kinkos I went to couldn't do account billing). There was no need for any shmoozing or networking or dealing. Synth guy loves synths and wants to advertise a product for free. Elementary. Transparent enough?
Shame on you jaded and cynical types.

You can bet the next company that tries to put out an analog synth that appeals to me will get a call from me, too. :)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:56 pm

Carefully not answering the 4th video question heh :)

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:43 am

I don't believe any of it, AG's probably cashing his great big fat analogue synth demonstrator cheques right now :p

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:13 am

Woohoo, my guess was more or less spot on.

I'm still rooting for my Jedi Mind Trick theory.

Btw, I've been told "for sure" that the store will get 5-6 minibrutes during the week, and I've reserved one of them. Haven't been this GAS'ed in years! I knew I shouldn't have come back to this forum. It made me buy stuff waay too often. Glad to be back :lol:

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:00 pm

SSquirrel wrote:Carefully not answering the 4th video question heh :)
GAHHHHHHH.
Everyone's going to be all "THIS is what we waited for? AG's plain indifference to arpeggiators?"

Phibes is right. I was just kidding. :)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:26 pm

We're just thirsting for more MB sound, really. Doesn't matter what you did with it. Also, I don't think you covered the brute factor yet.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:31 am

Update: the store still didn't get any MB's. Went there yesterday, he called the import persons who had got nothing from Arturia yet. But they were expecting some Spark packages during next week, maybe the Minibrutes would come in the same shipment. They'd emailed arturia several times with no reply. Kind of amateurish, really. You don't refuse to answer your retailers' emails just because you have nothing new to say.

So now I'm hoping for the end of next week. Funny, there were actually two of us in the store asking about the same thing.

So I ended up spending two hours toying with a Kronos. Could been worse.

jimtheswede

Post by jimtheswede » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:35 am

I recieved an email from MF regarding if I still wanted to be on the wait list. I called and of course I told them yes. Then the CSR told me I could expect them to ship out on 6-18-12. Guess I'm on the first batch going out. Next batch is expected 7-6-12. It will come eventually, and I can wait.

Still wondering why they don't post the manual on their website? It's apparently in production, and all the details have been worked out. I've read somewhere that Craig Anderton is involved with writing it as well as Yvves (spelling?), the designer. The manual online would answer many connectivity questions - CV, Midi, etc. Anyway, seems that the wait won't be very long now! :D

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:08 am

I've reserved one too, so now I kinda have to buy it when it comes along. But I was going to anyway.

At least we don't have to wait for lazy factory patch designers :P

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:38 pm

This was posted on Arturia forums couple of days ago:

At this point, the exact date is out of our control. It will depend on the time it takes freight forwarders to consolidate and dispatch shipments, and also the time it will take to clear customs (this is the first time this item will go through US customs, therefore it might take a little longer than usual to clear).
Without hitting any major snag in transit, the first units should mostly likely start reaching US dealers in a couple weeks.
But as Romain stated here http://www.arturia.com/evolution/smf/in ... pic=6275.0: "delivering all orders will take much more time than planned."

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:28 pm

Man I am getting to get so tired of early press announcements. Wish more mfrs would be like Apple and keep mum until it's ready to ship :ugeek:

I'm sure dealers get bummed, too.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:00 pm

^ this
1. no manual online
2. dates given to retailers (and posted prominently on their site) were fantasy
3. spotty/dodgy forum posts from company

I know its just a synth, but it is annoying in delayed-christmas kind of way for those of us who preordered in march/april or before. 1st world problems of course.

Talked again to American Musical Supply, one chat rep simply started ignoring me when I asked, another was nicer and I was told mid/late June ... but they've completely taken any expected arrival date off their site whereas it was 6/15.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:39 pm

That's life. You always wait for something better. Guess I'll play with my half dozen synths a couple weeks more. 1st world problems!