Selling the Phatty for a Mopho?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Selling the Phatty for a Mopho?

Post by aXL » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:11 pm

For about four years I've plodded around with a Little Phatty Stage II, which has a wonderful sound, but the interface is starting to get on my nerves. You know; push button X before changing the parameter with knob Y, et cetera ad nauseum. I find it a fantastic synth for bowel-breaking whole-note bass and slow leads, but that can only get me so far.

So I've been looking at the Mopho Keyboard. Now I used to be a little worried about the shortened keyboard range, but considering it's only 5 keys shorter than the LP, it shouldn't be that much of a worry. And if I really miss the Moog sound, I might invest in a Minitaur or something somewhere down the line. Besides, the smaller footprint of the Mopho will allow space for a mixer on my shelf.

Opinions on this train of thought?
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Selling the Phatty for a Mopho?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:30 pm

If the LP interface is annoying you after four years it's doing alright in my opinion. Everyone gets sick of things after a while, it just happens. If you're really after something smaller than go with the Mopho, but know that you'll probably start getting sick of some of the way its interface works after a while too. It has more things immediately laid out but you still need to press a button to switch between osc 1 & 2 for example, or what you modulation parameters control or your envelopes.

It sounds to me that you don't really need to swap instruments, you're just a bit overly familiar with what you've got and you're looking for a bit of a change. I think that going from an LP to a Mopho would just be a change for the different, rather than for the better, and you might end up wanting to go back.

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:48 pm

I own both, and would not swap the Phatty away. As mentioned, it would be a change, but not necessarily a change upward. Why not save up and buy a 2nd synth, and keep what you have. You will miss it.
Bassist, synth junkie

Googlydog

Post by Googlydog » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:27 pm

in my opinion, the "mopho sound" stinks. I know you can do a lot of different things with it (I've owned the module and the keyboard version), but it either sounds murky and soggy or grainy and dirty. Never has the smooth/clean sounds that a Moog has (though I've only owned the Voyager and the Micromoog, not the Phatty).

The build quality is questionable, the look is awful, the Mopho is an uninspiring synth.

GameChanger
Gear: MPC60

Post by GameChanger » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:51 pm

I had both the LP2 and the Mopho Keys at the same time last month, and almost immediately sold the Phatty. I honestly wasnt that impressed with it. No matter how much I programmed, it sounded plain, bland, and sterile. Def better for smooth sounds then the Mopho, but the Mopho had much more programming options, and had more grit and character. It also sounds more analog to me, even thou its a DCO. Dont know what the other poster above me is saying, but the mopho keybed is 100% better then the crappy LP keys. Besides that both are very well constructed.

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:09 am

I also owned both a LP and MoPho kb at the same time. Though the Moog is certainly more capable of making "moogy" sounds, the MoPho is infinitely more tweakable, with many more options, 4 LFO's vs 1, a 16x4 step sequencer, and sounds great, (as do all the DSI synths) I've recently passed the MoPho on to a bandmate, in favor of an MEK, and the Phatty lives with my daughter, who is just stepping into the world of synthesis for the first time, and loving it. I don't understand the comment on the MoPho sounding "murky, soggy, grainy, and dirty," although it's capable of all of that if that's what you want.
Bassist, synth junkie

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:28 pm

Using it live or just for recording?

Is your frustration real-time tweaking or general programming?

Can you afford the Mopho without selling the LP?

I find selling gear to raise money is a short term fix, usually I can raise the money if I just wait a couple of months. As someone who has repurchased a few synths over the years, my advice is to put in the closet until you're 100% sure that the Mopho is what you're looking for.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.