Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 4230
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:43 pm
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld
Location: Drammen, Norway

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by Bitexion » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:45 pm

Maybe you do have the cash when it finally limps through the door at christmas 2015 :D

User avatar
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2251
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:26 am
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...
Location: Australia

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:28 pm

I notice this machine has single-handedly shut up all the people who were saying the market was too small for a big company to successfully make and sell decent quantities of a small, full featured, decent-quality and cheap analog synth. :geek:

User avatar
bhrama
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 786
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:51 pm
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind
Location: BURG

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by bhrama » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:03 pm

Great point Hybrid, I would love to be a fly on the wall...or rather speak japanese/chinese and hear what the board rooms of Roland, Korg and Yamaha were discussing. Don't think for a moment that they dismissed this synth's introduction (and we shall soon see it's subsequent success) as a mere bloop on the radar. I would imagine within the year, one if not all of the the former big three develops and/or copies the idea(s) or format of the Minibrute. I for one, love what this thing has done to the market and the Synth world, the ripples are evident.

Ask yourself this, how many of you out there wouldn't pay twice or even three times what you paid for the Minibrute to have that much more now that you've played it. $1100 for duophonic/2 osc/larger keybed? etc. Sooner or later someone, whether its Arturia or another company (most likely with deeper pockets and larger R & D), is going to up the anty and stack the power in multiples of two or three with this thing, no? Its already been proven to be overwhelmingly popular, affordable and unique.

User avatar
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3620
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:14 pm
Gear: more than 150 characters...
Location: zürich
Contact:

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by pflosi » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:09 pm

bhrama wrote:I would love to be a fly on the wall...or rather speak japanese/chinese and hear what the board rooms of Roland, Korg and Yamaha were discussing.
Well chinese won't help you much to understand japanese I guess ;)

SCNR

User avatar
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1742
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:37 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:25 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:I notice this machine has single-handedly shut up all the people who were saying the market was too small for a big company to successfully make and sell decent quantities of a small, full featured, decent-quality and cheap analog synth. :geek:
Dunno, is Arturia actually significantly bigger than Moog or DSI? And is the MiniBrute actually vastly outselling similar products from those companies, or have underestimated demand and internet forum hype-feedback-loops just conspired to make it seem that way? Don't have any numbers myself, just Devil's advocating here.

Unfortunately, apparently nothing will ever shut up the "someone's doing well in a niche market, so a new all-analog Jupiter-8/CS-80/whatever is inevitable" argument." ;)
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

User avatar
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2251
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:26 am
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...
Location: Australia

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:48 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:...Unfortunately, apparently nothing will ever shut up the "someone's doing well in a niche market, so a new all-analog Jupiter-8/CS-80/whatever is inevitable" argument." ;)
True, but look at Tom and the new SEM, it is viable, but question is why would you want to when you could make something completely new?

I think people who still carry a torch for a JP8 or CS-80 (or any old synth for that matter) remake are just whinging cause they want the original but don't want to pay what they're worth. They're almost certainly the exact same people who would complain it doesn't sound like the original and return it to the store. I'd still like to think that common sense prevails and that they are in the minority around here tho ;)

User avatar
meatballfulton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5793
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:29 pm
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:21 pm

bhrama wrote:Its already been proven to be overwhelmingly popular, affordable and unique.
Let's see how well it's selling after stocks are readily available :?

Unique, well I'm not sure that's been proven 100% yet unless you mean compared to all other 25-key single VCO memory-less monosynths with both MIDI and CV, well that's unique so far 8-)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

foodeater
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:29 am

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by foodeater » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:40 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:I notice this machine has single-handedly shut up all the people who were saying the market was too small for a big company to successfully make and sell decent quantities of a small, full featured, decent-quality and cheap analog synth. :geek:
Dunno, is Arturia actually significantly bigger than Moog or DSI? And is the MiniBrute actually vastly outselling similar products from those companies, or have underestimated demand and internet forum hype-feedback-loops just conspired to make it seem that way? Don't have any numbers myself, just Devil's advocating here.

Unfortunately, apparently nothing will ever shut up the "someone's doing well in a niche market, so a new all-analog Jupiter-8/CS-80/whatever is inevitable" argument." ;)
Yeah,I feel it's a lot easier for a company without expectations of a certain sound attached to it's name to come out with something new.

My hope is that it makes korg get off their a*s and put CV in on the monotrons and monotribe as standard, although it's not hard to add yourself. Just think, for the same price as a minibrute you could get what, 6 different monotrons and a monotribe? Now imagine you could control all of that with the Minibrute. :mrgreen:

Point is, we live in great times for synthesis and I don't really care what any of the big old companies isn't doing.

User avatar
bhrama
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 786
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:51 pm
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind
Location: BURG

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by bhrama » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:47 pm

foodeater wrote:I don't really care what any of the big old companies isn't doing.

I feel the same way, however you can bet your marbles somebody got their a*s ripped a new one once this little bad boy dropped.

User avatar
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 2351
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:41 am
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source
Location: DenverMetroUSA, Quantum-Source.com
Contact:

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by Zamise » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:12 am

So far I've not been too happy with it. It only came with a foreign power cord for the adapter. I tried my laptop cord which fit in its adapter, and a 110 to 240 reverse converter for those types of prongs, they both let it power up and it says on the adapter 100 to 240v input, they worked so that can't be an issue, but I get no sound out the headphones or master. I am bummed out to the max dudes. I don't want to return it. I actually got it to send to a friend so he could get early where he is from, so this is going to a bummer for him too.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

adhmzaiusz
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 270
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:27 am

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by adhmzaiusz » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:38 am

Zamise wrote:So far I've not been too happy with it. It only came with a foreign power cord for the adapter. I tried my laptop cord which fit in its adapter, and a 110 to 240 reverse converter for those types of prongs, they both let it power up and it says on the adapter 100 to 240v input, they worked so that can't be an issue, but I get no sound out the headphones or master. I am bummed out to the max dudes. I don't want to return it. I actually got it to send to a friend so he could get early where he is from, so this is going to a bummer for him too.
There isn't a switch to correct the voltage to 110v? Usually you have to flip it to the right voltage. It might not be getting the power it is supposed to. Check around and make sure a switch ain't set to 240.

This happened to me when I bought an oscilloscope, i thought it was broken but it was just set to 240
‹‡›

User avatar
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 2351
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:41 am
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source
Location: DenverMetroUSA, Quantum-Source.com
Contact:

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by Zamise » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:44 am

Nope, no switch. The adapter takes both. It is 100-240v input. I tried both, they both power it up, eveything appears to be working but no sound out master and phones. I do hear a little bleep when I first turn it on tho., nothing after that no matter how many settings I fiddle with on it.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

User avatar
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3519
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 11:55 pm
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:33 am

Zamise wrote:Nope, no switch. The adapter takes both. It is 100-240v input. I tried both, they both power it up, eveything appears to be working but no sound out master and phones. I do hear a little bleep when I first turn it on tho., nothing after that no matter how many settings I fiddle with on it.
Check the switch on the back and make sure it's responding to KBD instead of external input.
Do you even post on vse bro?

User avatar
Sir Nose
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:54 pm
Real name: Bob
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400
Location: PA

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:32 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
Zamise wrote:Nope, no switch. The adapter takes both. It is 100-240v input. I tried both, they both power it up, eveything appears to be working but no sound out master and phones. I do hear a little bleep when I first turn it on tho., nothing after that no matter how many settings I fiddle with on it.
Check the switch on the back and make sure it's responding to KBD instead of external input.
I'm sure scam artists will use that feature for a cheap score at the pawn shop or yard sale.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

User avatar
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 2351
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:41 am
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source
Location: DenverMetroUSA, Quantum-Source.com
Contact:

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Post by Zamise » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:13 am

That was the first thing I tried. When it came it was over on the audio, I did switch it to kbd, the amp envelope is responding to key presses, but still no sound from the headphone or master out. I keep hoping it is some setting, I know analogs of this nature can fool you, but I even looked at AG's vid, and used a couple templates that it comes with for settings and I still get no audio out. I've even tried a mono jack.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Post Reply