Akai Pro and Alesis... remarkable similarities

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Mattew96
Gear: Ace Tone GT-7
Korg Monotribe
Moog Music Voyager Select
Moog Music Slim Phatty
Roland CM-32L&P
Roland D-110
Roland D-5
Roland JV-1080
Yamaha FB-01

Akai Pro and Alesis... remarkable similarities

Post by Mattew96 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:37 pm

So I was surfing the Akai pro website earlier, and noticed the Miniak, which for some reason I had never heard of before... can't figure out how this happened.
In any case, I've also been spending a LOT of time on the Alesis website recently for various reasons, QS8 support, looking into ADAT, Vortex, monitors, boards, effects, the works (I don't know why I have so much faith in Alesis while apparently most others do not).

A magical thing happened while I was looking at the Miniak and thinking "hey this is cool!". I started noticing that the site felt familiar, and that I'd seen a product page like this before.
So I go to the Alesis website and see that the design layout is 90% the same as the Akai pro website. Then I see the Alesis Micron SE and notice that it looks like a cheaper version of the Akai Miniak with the same features. And I start to wonder why there is no lawsuit...

Are Akai pro and Alesis subsidiaries of a parent company with Alesis carrying cheaper rebranded products or is there some licensing agreement between the two companies, or am I just going into conspiracy mode?
Last edited by Mattew96 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grapple with reality.

salwa

Re: Akai Pro and Alesis... remarkable similarities

Post by salwa » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:42 pm

Both Akai and Alesis are parts of Numark Industries.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

Mattew96
Gear: Ace Tone GT-7
Korg Monotribe
Moog Music Voyager Select
Moog Music Slim Phatty
Roland CM-32L&P
Roland D-110
Roland D-5
Roland JV-1080
Yamaha FB-01

Post by Mattew96 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:10 pm

Oh, hehe, I feel silly. Thanks! :D
Grapple with reality.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:24 pm

Yes, the Micron and the Miniak are the same synth...the Miniak is a slightly updated version from what I understand, with slightly different hardware, but it's nearly identical.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:34 pm

There's a large number of products that can be bought under various combinations of Akai, Alesis, Numark and Ion brand names (all under the umbrella of Numark): powered monitors, turntables, electronic drums. Sometimes the prices for one brand is significantly better than for the others. Pays to shop around ;)

The Miniak and Micron are the same exact instrument under the hood.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

gs

Post by gs » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:06 am

meatballfulton wrote:The Miniak and Micron are the same exact instrument under the hood.
As is the Ion -- MINUS the sequencer and "finishing FX" (reverb, delay) -- but PLUS those wonderful knobs, extra mod wheel, and bigger keyboard range. The Ion simply has a better performance-based control surface. Which is why I bought it instead of either of the compact versions.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M