DSI announces Prophet 12!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Re: DSI announces Prophet 12!

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:57 pm

philip wrote:Id like to ask Mr.Smith, if this is such great analog polysynth, best he ever made, why he decided to record it with external FX for this demo??
Don't think it's analog.
bonne chance

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:58 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote:Nowhere does it say the oscillators are analog...
They're not; apparently they're not even DCOs, but processer-based. Fine by me as long as they've got more than the usual waveforms in there.
Do you even post on vse bro?

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:05 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
They're not; apparently they're not even DCOs, but processer-based. Fine by me as long as they've got more than the usual waveforms in there.
Yep. First hint to me wasn't that it has 4 per voice, but "complex" waveforms. Would be sweet if this could essentially be a 12 voice VS. don't have time to watch video. Is there a joystick ?
bonne chance

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:07 am

Looks like they've taken cues from Ensoniq's soft-button approach too. Nice.

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Post by _seph » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:28 am

Arddhu wrote:Looks like they've taken cues from Ensoniq's soft-button approach too. Nice.
yep.. a knobby modern SQ-80 was my impression too, which I think is great as the hybrids were always more interesting than most of the analog polys.. $3000 seems a little steep, but I look forward to seeing more info

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:06 am

:)

DSI's Kitchen Sink Synth!

:)

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

lazerface
Gear: Tempest, JX3P, Pro-One, Roland Gaia, Monotribe
Band: Solaires

Post by lazerface » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:11 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
Looks and sounds like 2 Tempest engines to me, 2 ana + 2 digi + sub osc. I assume that's what he meant when he mentioned channeling the evolver engine (digi + ana), why else would they have 4 osc? You wanna do triangle, sawtooth, square wave and pwm at the same time? Nah mate, mix your analog sounds with some harsh digi waves, that's where my Tempest absolutely shines and can only imagine what unison on this beast will sound like :twisted:

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:01 am

philip wrote:Id like to ask Mr.Smith, if this is such a great analog polysynth, best he ever made, why he decided to record it with an external FX for this demo??
Onboard quad multi-mode delay, son.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:05 am

lazerface wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
Looks and sounds like 2 Tempest engines to me, 2 ana + 2 digi + sub osc. I assume that's what he meant when he mentioned channeling the evolver engine (digi + ana), why else would they have 4 osc? You wanna do triangle, sawtooth, square wave and pwm at the same time? Nah mate, mix your analog sounds with some harsh digi waves, that's where my Tempest absolutely shines and can only imagine what unison on this beast will sound like :twisted:
Yep, it's two Tempests minus the sequencer and plus a keyboard. This is what Pym was hinting about months ago.

Sounds cool to me, a one voice version of it would interest me perhaps seeing as my MEK is up for sale at the moment.

Also loving all the people who were saying 'wow, sounds so analogue' followed closely by the 'it's not even DCOs, it's all DSP' brigade. :lol:

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:11 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Also loving all the people who were saying 'wow, sounds so analogue' followed closely by the 'it's not even DCOs, it's all DSP' brigade. :lol:
I said those exact two statements--they're not mutually exclusive.
Do you even post on vse bro?

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:13 am

GuyaGuy wrote:
philip wrote:Id like to ask Mr.Smith, if this is such a great analog polysynth, best he ever made, why he decided to record it with an external FX for this demo??
Onboard quad multi-mode delay, son.
Multi-tap delay, per voice, no less. And it sounds like they do proper smoove interpolation.

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:38 am

According to a friend who spoke with the DSI guys at the booth today:
The oscillators are virtual, produced by a total of six SHARC chips. Output is then converted to analog to go to filters and VCAs. The chips also handle effects.
I don't care. It still sounds amazing.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:57 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:Also loving all the people who were saying 'wow, sounds so analogue' followed closely by the 'it's not even DCOs, it's all DSP' brigade. :lol:
I said those exact two statements--they're not mutually exclusive.
True. I guess I'm just pretty amused by people already starting to argue about things before they've even seen a full spec list.
b3groover wrote:According to a friend who spoke with the DSI guys at the booth today:
The oscillators are virtual, produced by a total of six SHARC chips. Output is then converted to analog to go to filters and VCAs. The chips also handle effects.
Very nice!

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:35 am

If the voices are 2 ana + 2 digital, I can see $3k. IF they are DSP, i will reserve judgement.

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Post by _seph » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:50 am

b3groover wrote:According to a friend who spoke with the DSI guys at the booth today:
perfect.

analog can be great and seeing a new Music Easel makes me happy.

but, the Prophet 08 is already a good analog poly synth and the PolyEvolver is a great hybrid.

were this just two Tempests together (minus the sequencer), I don't know why anyone wouldn't rather just buy a PEK and a PE rack (aside from it being discontinued). That would be 8 voices and far better synthesis for about the same price.

I do hope this is something different and a modern SQ-80 type synth (digital oscillators running through analog and plenty of modulation) would be nice.