DSI announces Prophet 12!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
alan partridge

Re: DSI announces Prophet 12!

Post by alan partridge » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:27 am

It looks much more interesting and sounds beefier than either the P08 or Poly Evolver, IMHO.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:07 am

Why would a PEK be far better synthesis? I mean, I love it but this looks like it has some wide ranging oscillators. Wavetables? From the demos it doesn't actually sound that different but it does sound rich, I'm sure the delays help. And I'd wait and see on the Music Easel, doesn't the 200e have digital oscillators? Mr. B's also not necessarily an analogue purist like that anyway.

As for pointless comparisons I'd say this is looking sort of comparable to the Q+, which is kind of interesting.
_seph wrote:
b3groover wrote:According to a friend who spoke with the DSI guys at the booth today
The oscillators are virtual, produced by a total of six SHARC chips. Output is then converted to analog to go to filters and VCAs. The chips also handle effects.
I don't care. It still sounds amazing.
perfect.

analog can be great and seeing a new Music Easel makes me happy.

but, the Prophet 08 is already a good analog poly synth and the PolyEvolver is a great hybrid.

were this just two Tempests together (minus the sequencer), I don't know why anyone wouldn't rather just buy a PEK and a PE rack (aside from it being discontinued). That would be 8 voices and far better synthesis for about the same price.

I do hope this is something different and a modern SQ-80 type synth (digital oscillators running through analog and plenty of modulation) would be nice.
Last edited by masstronaut on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:48 am

philip wrote: It has a monster architecture(stolen from sq\esq??), but sounds rather digital. And he says this is his best synth by now, I hope he's not talking about the sound.
So let me get this straight. A synth with digital wavetables...can produce "digital" sounding textures and tones.

I have to lie down and think about this I can't see the connection yet. But surely there must be a reason.

I think it looks mad.

I do wonder if it's possible to "sweep" the wavetables as you can on Alchemy and Massive though...

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:42 pm

_seph wrote:were this just two Tempests together (minus the sequencer), I don't know why anyone wouldn't rather just buy a PEK and a PE rack (aside from it being discontinued). That would be 8 voices and far better synthesis for about the same price.

I don't see why 8 PE voices would be better than 12 PE voices... which is what two Tempest sound engines would be.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:47 pm

tekkentool wrote:I do wonder if it's possible to "sweep" the wavetables as you can on Alchemy and Massive though...
It would be a stretch calling it a wavetable if you can't sweep that sucker.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:12 pm

Actually not keen on the DSI sound as a rule, but this thing sounds great, muchly impressed! :)

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Post by _seph » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:20 pm

Ashe37 wrote:
_seph wrote:were this just two Tempests together (minus the sequencer), I don't know why anyone wouldn't rather just buy a PEK and a PE rack (aside from it being discontinued). That would be 8 voices and far better synthesis for about the same price.

I don't see why 8 PE voices would be better than 12 PE voices... which is what two Tempest sound engines would be.
Although similar, the Tempest doesn't have the same voice architecture as the Evolver (just read the specs and signal flow diagram). Obviously the Prophet 12 has different functionality than the Tempest and we still no not know the specs so arguing over split hairs is pointless but a Tempest is not a six voice PolyEvolver.

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:00 pm

Is this the first DSI to not have a sequencer (or four)?
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:37 pm

If you are not on the DSI forums, this is what Pym wrote this morning. Quick Specs rundown

12 voices

4 Oscillators per voice capable of classic and complex waveforms
Low alias digital oscillators of several flavors: tri, saw, pulse, sine, noise and 4 wavetable based sources
Oscillator params: FM, AM, Sync, Level, Pitch (Coarse+Fine), extended slop algorithm, shape, shape mod/pulsewidth

Sub oscillator

Shape Mod/Pulsewidth control changes based on oscillator type:
Pulse and Tri - Pulsewidth control
Saw - Supersaw effect (note: not complete in NAMM units)
Noise - Pink on the left, White in the middle, Blue/Violet on the right

Wavetables - Blends between 3 different waveforms, one on the left, one in the middle, one on the right

Post FX section, fully analog signal path (no DAC/ADC converstion) with digital effects summed with analog signal at wet/dry points
Analog VCA and panning
Analog stereo distortion
Analog resonant Lowpass filter per voice
Analog resonant Highpass filter per voice
All analog parameters are modulated at >11kHz sample rate

Digital FX 'Character' Section:
NOTE: Effects are not finalized (besides Drive) and will be improved and possible changed before release
Air - High shelf with soft clipping
Girth - Low shelf with saturation
Hack - Bit Crush
Decimate - Sample Rate Reduction
Drive - Overdrive/Saturation

Tons of modulation:
4 LFOs up to 4kHz rate, sync and multiple shapes

4 Envelopes - VCA, Filter and 2 Auxiliary. ADSR plus delay

16 Mod slots - Oscillators can be used as sources for FM control of a wide range of params

Two Pressure- and Position-sensitive touch faders for added control in addition to the pitch and mod wheels

4 Delay lines
Can sync to internal arp clock or to external MIDI clock

~1 second buffer for each delay line

Amount, Feedback, and Rate controls on front panel

Delay time ranges from reverb and flanger effects to a looper with feedback turned to max

Delay algorithms not finalized in NAMM units and will be improved by release

Tuned Feedback

Expanded Arpeggiator modes

Quick mod section:
example: holding 'mod source' and hitting 'Osc 1' creates a new mod with 'Osc 1' as the source and brings up the screen. Then holding 'mod destination' and moving the 'Air' encoder assigns the destination to 'Air'. Simple!

Sorting of mods by slot number, mod source or mod destination which includes the fixed mods (destination params for LFOs and Envelopes) to quickly deconstruct programs. Makes it very easy to see what mods are affecting what parameters at a glance

Playlist mode for queueing up programs to use in a set for quick 1-button access to quickly load presets. 4 Playlists with 10 presets plus an extended playlist mode if more complicated setups are needed

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:27 pm

DSP oscillators?

I am disappointed. for that price i might be able to find a Q+ with analog filters... :(

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:40 pm

but the Q+ sounds thin in comparison, at least from what I've heard from the first demos, and it's rare.

DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:39 pm

I have two questions:

- Is this the same low-pass filter as previous DSI?
- Anyone able to identify the bottle in the background?
Moog Matriarch
Oberheim OB-8/DSX/DMX
Sequential Prophet 2002
Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80
Roland JP-8/SH-101/RS-09/Kiwi-30/D-550
Korg MS-20 Kit/ARP Odyssey FSQ
Yamaha SY99/DX100
Waldorf Microwave 1
Simmons SDSV/SDS9
Elektron Analog RYTM

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:45 pm

The analogue side of the Q+ can be kind of flaky I've heard.

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:42 am

bhrama wrote:
Quick mod section:
example: holding 'mod source' and hitting 'Osc 1' creates a new mod with 'Osc 1' as the source and brings up the screen. Then holding 'mod destination' and moving the 'Air' encoder assigns the destination to 'Air'. Simple!
Nice!
Has this been implemented anywhere else before? That seems like one of the best features.

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Post by _seph » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:51 am

Ashe37 wrote:DSP oscillators?

I am disappointed. for that price i might be able to find a Q+ with analog filters... :(
and why would that be a better purchase?

the Q is a great synth, don't get me wrong.. but the + just has an analog filter slapped on, not quite the same thing as the Prophet 12's fully analog signal path, which I feel justifies it price a bit better than the Q

anyway, I'm happy to see that this is something different and beyond just a supped up Prophet 08 or PolyEvolver. Well done DSI