Ever been tempted to sell everything and buy a Korg Kronos?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Re: Ever been tempted to sell everything and buy a Korg Kron

Post by blavatsky » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:33 pm

Actually if it's an all in one synth you want, the Alesis Fusion is better in many ways, and stupidly cheap. Much easier UI to get into the FM and sampling on that, I thought. Great VA. And the 8 audio inputs are a cool idea... The weighted keyboard is good, but not as good as the Kronos
Funny I came to say something similar, the Fusion does multiple types of modeling, has the Alesis Ion (basically) synth engine + FM + physical modelling + Rompler + sampler , etc. You could throw anything you wanted on that 80 gig hd , convert SF2 programs, long samples , etc.

Of course the RAM was limited, FX were just ok, the keyboard maybe not up with the best of them but h**l you can get them for probably 500 bucks now and if you were willing to learn it, you could do some great stuff.

But yeah its buggy, will crash sometimes or not load certain programs (damn you, Mellotron Flute!), sequencer was shitty, not a good MIDI brain....I bought it to be sort of a "all-in-one" and within a month I was looking at stuff like RS7k or EMU Command Station to sequence on instead....I still like it, it's been one of my longest-in-the-studio pieces.

</off topic>

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:39 am

Better wait few years and get it when it costs 40% of today´s value.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

C Faith
Gear: Prophet '08,Tempest, Mopho, Mono Evolver, Akai AX80 & AX60, Oberheim Matrix 6, Roland Alpha Juno 2 & SH-101, Ensoniq VFX & SQ80.
Band: Lord Preset

Post by C Faith » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:37 pm

balma wrote:Better wait few years and get it when it costs 40% of today´s value.
Which is the problem with digital synths. I still feel burned over my Alesis Fusion. It was $2000 new, I waited and got one for $1200, and a year or two later they could be picked up used for $600ish. It was a great synth though.

Allthesound
Gear: Fatar Midi Controller & Ipad 3 with all available IOS Synths.

Post by Allthesound » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:18 pm

I have owned the Alesis Fusion 6 and 8HD. They are great values for the money and with the last OS update 1.24 most of the bugs were worked out. However there will never be a way to use a computer editor to work with the VA , FM or PM engines because the Midi spec was never fully implemented. Same goes for using a external controller like a Remote Zero or BCR 2000.
Shame really had it been fully realized it would still be the workstation to beat. On the VA side i would not compare it to the Ion or micron engine because its different and cannot load patches from either and i would argue didnt sound as good as either one. The FM section is pretty darn good with 6 OP's and filters & mod matrix. The arp is very cool and can even use Midi type 0 files to add new arp patterns. I had thousands of samples and programs loaded on mine and barely put a dent in the 80 gig HD. While i had so much power under its hood it always left me feeling uninspired. I agree to the FX section was lack luster. I eventualy sold them off and went back to the trusty old Korg Triton Classic and i have no regrets.
I spent some time messing with a Kronos and as cool as it is to me its alot of loot for what it is and for live use too risky with a 2 minute plus boot up time.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:43 pm

I paid more than $2000 for the Yamaha EX5 (similar to all the previous ones mentioned) around year 2000.

Two reasons for not selling it today:

1. Virtual Acoustic synthesis is rare nowadays, and is good. Is the only feature why I´m reluctant to get it of it

2. Having a lot of luck, I´ll get $500 for it.

So answer is no. Better to slowly get synths with a lot of character.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:02 am

Hey, guys selling their $2000 MiniMoogs and Odysseys for $100 in the late 80s were just as bummed about falling prices as modern workstation buyers ;)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:34 am

Well, maybe you´re right if Deadmau5 buys a Kronos.

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX

Post by blavatsky » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:40 pm

this is not me, but from vintagesynth comments and I thought it relevant:
The Fusion is the best Synth workstation ever made bar none. I lusted for the Korg Kronos ever since it was annouced. bought one last month at GC after they had a huge price drop ($1K) had it a week and returned it. What a huge dissapointment it was. The Fusion eats it for breakfast.

The Fusion has dual Coldfire CPU's and 7 dedicated DSP's and is blazing fast, boots up in 20 secs . In contrast the Kronos uses a Intel Atom CPU and takes 2 minutes 15 seconds to boot. I am sooooooo glad i did not trade in my Fusion towards the Kronos like i almost did that would have been a huge mistake.

On the VA side i would not compare it to the Ion or micron engine because its different and cannot load patches from either and i would argue didnt sound as good as either one
Really? I don't have one to compare (sold the micron as fast as I bought it) but I would think same company/timeframe , same basic code/filter/effects. I doubt they re-wrote anything from the ground up.

Allthesound
Gear: Fatar Midi Controller & Ipad 3 with all available IOS Synths.

Post by Allthesound » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:21 pm

blavatsky wrote:this is not me, but from vintagesynth comments and I thought it relevant:
The Fusion is the best Synth workstation ever made bar none. I lusted for the Korg Kronos ever since it was annouced. bought one last month at GC after they had a huge price drop ($1K) had it a week and returned it. What a huge dissapointment it was. The Fusion eats it for breakfast.

The Fusion has dual Coldfire CPU's and 7 dedicated DSP's and is blazing fast, boots up in 20 secs . In contrast the Kronos uses a Intel Atom CPU and takes 2 minutes 15 seconds to boot. I am sooooooo glad i did not trade in my Fusion towards the Kronos like i almost did that would have been a huge mistake.

On the VA side i would not compare it to the Ion or micron engine because its different and cannot load patches from either and i would argue didnt sound as good as either one
Really? I don't have one to compare (sold the micron as fast as I bought it) but I would think same company/timeframe , same basic code/filter/effects. I doubt they re-wrote anything from the ground up.
Pretty much everything in the Fusion was a re-write the VA section is not at all compatible with the Ion /Micron and certainly the FM and PM engines were brand new to Alesis so why not the VA engine as well? On the FX side well Alesis was making effects long before they made their first synth. I still have my Midiverb III and micro verb. To be fair those units are quite old to be compared to the 24 bit FX in the Fusion. But they do sound alot different. I never tried using the Fusion FX on a straight audio signal in, blended with the synth engines i found them to be acceptable but nothing extraordinary.
Don't get me wrong about the Fusion i loved alot of things about it esspecialy the FM engine and the sampler was pretty easy to work with. It could have easly stayed in my studio. I have owned all the workstations Alesis put out starting with the Quadra Synth and found them all useful and really good values for the $$ the Fusion in alot of ways was no exception.

I guess in the end alot of it boiled down to learning a work station inside and out requires commitment and i found it hard to commit fully to a synth that the creator couldn't commit to fully. I suspect though at the time Alesis future was uncertain it wasnt long after they were aquired by Numark and synth development was disolved. I have alot of respect and love for the old Alesis but sadly its not the same company anymore.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:31 pm

It's tough for me to accept Fusion as "best workstation ever" since it's such a buggy machine.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by blavatsky » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:56 pm

yeah I don't really think its the best, just a very interesting and underrated attempt. I agree about the bugs/workflow , I could never get into it as a workstation but as an 88 key controller/sound source w/ multitibral setup its a very useful piece.

Kronos looks fun, when it drops $$ in a few years it may find a wider audience

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:43 am

To the original OP > NO.

I don't think ANY synth that is primarily (or all) software would get me to sell all my small, cheapo but well loved synths. Especially a NEW synth like the korg that will plummet in value for the next few years!

I'd give one a try for ~£400 in about 5 years :P

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:17 am

meatballfulton wrote:It's tough for me to accept Fusion as "best workstation ever" since it's such a buggy machine.
Have I mentioned before that it also sets your eyeballs on fire and churns your stomach every time you look at it.

Mac Moog
Gear: ARP 2600, Alesis A6 Andromeda, Mellotron 4000D, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg MS-10/20/700s, Kurzweil PC3K, Oberheim Matrix 12, Yamaha CS-60/AN1x

Post by Mac Moog » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:28 am

Uh... No.

dkhbrit

Post by dkhbrit » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:01 pm

Hello all

I looked very seriously at the Kronos. While it sounds great I thought it would just take way too long to get the most out of it, and the screen size/angle is poor considering the amount of information there is on there. The sequencer on the Fantom is better than any Korg IMO so I still use it for running my Korg stuff.