Roland Sh-1000 Good deal for $500? And other questions.

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Allthesound
Gear: Fatar Midi Controller & Ipad 3 with all available IOS Synths.

Roland Sh-1000 Good deal for $500? And other questions.

Post by Allthesound » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:37 pm

Hi all i'm wondering if a Roland SH-1000 in great cosmetic and operational shape is worth $500 a local seller is asking. I have seen a few really nice sounding youtube demos using nothing but the SH1000 and was pretty impressed but havent really seen many examples of how well it does with bass. Is it possible to get deep moog-ish bass with this synth? Bass isnt my only reason for wanting this synth but it would be a bonus if it does it well.

I was also looking to see if adding midi is possible still now that Synthouse no longer has the MidiJack availible. Is there anyone else offering a similar conversion? Also is it possible to add a audio in to the filter on these?

Any other thoughts, advice or suggestions would be welcomed. :)
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Re: Roland Sh-1000 Good deal for $500? And other questions.

Post by th0mas » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:01 pm

It's a pretty cool vintage synth, and can do big bass, but imho an arturia minibrute is much more synth for the price.

walkathon
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Post by walkathon » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:56 am

Recently grabbed an nice shape SH-2000 for $300 (admittedly, not *quite* the same beast) and indeed it's a bass monster when it needs to be. Dunno if I'd want to cough up $500 for an SH-1000 personally, but there's something to be said about an SH-1000 or 2000 that has zero broken tabs. Lots of other juicy $500 options these days, as th0mas mentioned, but basically comes down to whether you love that early Roland oscillator sound. Early Rolands don't sound like minibrutes, and vice versa, etc.

Allthesound

Post by Allthesound » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:42 am

th0mas wrote:It's a pretty cool vintage synth, and can do big bass, but imho an arturia minibrute is much more synth for the price.
Sweet :P I looked at the Minibrute it does offer alot for a lil $$ and it sounds good to my ears though maybe a little more aggressive sounding than what im looking for. Good suggestion though.

Allthesound

Post by Allthesound » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:05 am

walkathon wrote:Recently grabbed an nice shape SH-2000 for $300 (admittedly, not *quite* the same beast) and indeed it's a bass monster when it needs to be. Dunno if I'd want to cough up $500 for an SH-1000 personally, but there's something to be said about an SH-1000 or 2000 that has zero broken tabs. Lots of other juicy $500 options these days, as th0mas mentioned, but basically comes down to whether you love that early Roland oscillator sound. Early Rolands don't sound like minibrutes, and vice versa, etc.
Cool that two votes for good bass! How are you getting on with the SH2000?

I think your right 500 looks to be on the higher side of what they are going for. I guess with the newer ones i have looked at MiniBrute, Slim Phatty, Mopho Evolver all sounded good and i liked them fine but i think there is just something in the sound of the Roland SH1000 demos ive heard so far that is unique & classic at the same time. I dunno really how to describe it. Some of the tones are just so sweet.

I dont really have much to work with at the moment for real analog i just have my Juno 2 which is great and up until last week really had been lusting over the Evolver to add something different sounding. Then i see this Sh1000 and start searching for info and Bam its all i can think about :lol:

I will still most likey pick up a Evolver at some point just seems the SH1000 is a little harder to find in good shape so maybe i should grab one while i can.

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:07 am

th0mas wrote:It's a pretty cool vintage synth, and can do big bass, but imho an arturia minibrute is much more synth for the price.
I'll have to throw my lot in with this. I borrowed a SH-1000 once, and whilst it was fun, $500 (eqv) can go a lot further. No harm in trying it out though.

Allthesound

Post by Allthesound » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:53 am

Dr. Phibes wrote:
I'll have to throw my lot in with this. I borrowed a SH-1000 once, and whilst it was fun, $500 (eqv) can go a lot further. No harm in trying it out though.

I suppose not worst case i could always try and get my $$$ back out of it. What else would you recommend in that price range? I really do like that early 70's analog sound.

Tommygun
Gear: Kawai k1, Casio cz-101, Roland sh-1000, Proteus1, Roland MKS-50, Roland JV-2080, Roland EF-303.

Post by Tommygun » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:48 am

I've had an SH-1000 for a while now and enjoy it but more as a novelty I think. The sounds are great and very tweakable but what are you going to do with it? Currently I sequence stuff mostly midi and then record the audio of the sh1000 and then add those to the mix. Im not sure its worth getting it midi'fied unless you have the cash to spare. I suspect that $500 is a little on the high end but that said Im pretty sure if its in good condition you will get your cash back and in a few years you may even double it. They wont drop in value

There are pretty good sounds in it and the harmonics you can get by playing with the filter and dropping in other waves via the tabs is very good. Its the kind of thing that inspires you and can give you brief insights into what could be a magical tune.

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:54 pm

I paid 100 bucks for one 2 1/2 years ago, and it was in pretty good shape. 300 tops is what I would pay now.
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music

Paraphonique

Post by Paraphonique » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:26 am

Hi,

I had a SH-1000 for a couple years. Very fun synth, more flexible than expected and even some of the presets were usable in the right context. It has a fast envelope so it's good for bass. The only problem with it is the lack of CV-gate interface for external sequencing/controlling. Kenton makes a good socket upgrade kit, but it's not easy to install, so I'd be careful if you don't have experience in synth repair and mods. $500 would be just ok if it's excellent condition. I find them a bit undervalued on the market to be honest...

If you are after the classic 70's sound, I'd suggest the SH-09 or the SH-02. They are relatively affordable, easy to find and both have CV-gate + audio input. Classic BA662 filters, portable, no nonsense stuff !

-P

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:07 pm

Yes. I have one. I'm probably one of the few people who think the SH 1000 is worth more, at least $1000! I feel it's been undervalued by a lot of sellers. It is after all, the very first Japanese commercial synth ever made. it's historical importance puts value on it, in my book. By the way, i didn't pay anything for mine. It was given to me s part of a trade/sale in 1995.

MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:05 am

Allthesound wrote:
Dr. Phibes wrote:

I suppose not worst case i could always try and get my $$$ back out of it. What else would you recommend in that price range? I really do like that early 70's analog sound.
Oh it's certainly not a bad instrument and indeed offers a lot of what you would want in a retro synth. I think my gripe stemmed largely from some design features I found somewhat counter intuitive - namely the controls for S+H and the noise generator which rely on the volume knob if I remember correctly (although you do have a selection between white and pink noise which I though was nice to have on a lower price monosynth).

As has been said, the minbrute really does offer a whole new dimension in the 'affordable' analog scene; don't be put off by some demonstrations, it can be smooth as well. That said, if you have a scratch only vintage can satisfy there are some other options: the later SH-09 and SH-2 (this might be a bit more pricey but offer 2 osc) and the early Yamaha CS models (5-15), I guess they're not terribly complex but the multitude filters are very useful.