I Dream of Wires

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Re: I Dream of Wires

Post by JayEm » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:36 am

Here's a good on topic question, why is Gary Numan in it? I love his music and all, but akaik he isn't really known for the use of modulars. He seemed to be an early adopter of all digital tech, wasn't he?

Or did you just want meet Numan?
w00t

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:45 am

Bitexion wrote:But hey, THIS isn't the place to pull out the "one time AG said..." stuff. This is about the modular documentary, let's TRY to keep it on the rails, shall we?
your precious thread is still on the rails, theres nothing wrong with a few in between posts

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:15 pm

volumetrik wrote: On one time, I talked about wanting more companies to make analog stuff, and he went on to tell me that its pointless making new analog, that its like making a Model T again, there is nothing magic about analog, and I should just shut up and be happy with what is being made already. makes you wonder why is the guy into analog so much in the first place. You're welcome to have your opinion about things but just don't offend others when you state yours.
>2013 year of our lord and saviour AG.
>Misunderstanding the prophet's commandments.
>ISHYGDDT

AG was just asking you throw away your unquenchable need for worldy goods and find nirvana in service of him. Even if roland reissued the Jupiter-8 tomorrow you wouldn't be satisfied and move onto some other mundane need that doesn't help in the holy ritual of music creation. It is the nature of the imperfect human race.

Now let us sing a hymn.

This is not an attack I <3 u AG. I also love that song (no homo)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:21 pm

So it has come to this, then. The forum threads are derailed and 4chan kids throwing memes at you at every corner if you complain. Oh well.

s o l v e n t

Post by s o l v e n t » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:13 pm

JayEm wrote:Here's a good on topic question, why is Gary Numan in it? I love his music and all, but akaik he isn't really known for the use of modulars. He seemed to be an early adopter of all digital tech, wasn't he?

Or did you just want meet Numan?
It's a good question but I'm beginning to feel like I'm giving too much away by explaining everything in advance on here. I was already dealing with Numan's manager because he also manages John Foxx & Benge, and we wanted to have Numan in the film on account of the film's title, so we found a way to make it work.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:27 pm

Bitexion wrote:The forum threads are derailed
Take THAT wendy carlos.

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:37 pm

s o l v e n t wrote:Very bizarre to me that Jack Dangers' silly/fun "Take that, Wendy Carlos" was read into as anything deeper than that - a silly comment for fun. He's a very accomplished and influential musician BTW, the man behind Meat Beat Manifesto, who were hugely influential on people like Autechre and (I'm guessing) Portishead and the whole trip hop movement.
Far from being `odd,' this very much confirms what I was saying. Of course I've heard of (and probably also heard) Meat Beat Manifesto before, but after reading your comment I listened to about a dozen tracks by them and by Jack Dangers. All of it was highly automated and none of it contained anything I'd regard as musically sensitive.

If other people want to hear this stuff, then fine - I've no problem with that. It just doesn't interest me in the slightest, and nor does anything this guy has to say about modulars. I could definitely do something with a Synthi 100, but I'm much happier doing what I do with a humble Synthi A (or most often my ARP synths) than I would be if I was doing what Jack Dangers does with a Synthi 100. If people like him represent what people today are doing with modulars, then fine, let them get on with it. But this is why I'd have no interest in a documentary like I Dream of Wires. Each to his own, but maybe now it'll be a bit clearer why this documentary wouldn't appeal to everyone interested in synths, or even interested in modular synths, but that's a reflection on current mainstream electronic music and not any kind of criticism of the film itself.

Regarding B3groover's post, I don't know if this somehow refers to what I posted? Maybe not. I did act as a consultant for a YouTube documentary about Tony Banks, among a lot of other people, and I think my expertise, such as it is, probably just confirmed what other people involved in that film were able to come up with anyway. But I suspect your reference to Tony Banks was probably random and unconnected with that? I'd be surprised if you remembered my name from that documentary. Personally I prefer people like Tim Blake, anyway, much as I respect Tony Banks for his musicianship.
Free the Jupiter 8!

suitandtieguy

Post by suitandtieguy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:45 pm

s o l v e n t wrote:Very bizarre to me that Jack Dangers' silly/fun "Take that, Wendy Carlos" was read into as anything deeper than that - a silly comment for fun.
out of context it sounds like the dismissive raving of a history-ignorant j**k.
s o l v e n t wrote:His comment, for the record, was a reference to a point he had made earlier in the interview, that Wendy was a vocal critic of the EMS synths' unmusical nature. Not that I think it needed that context...
and if you know that he was talking about the EMS stuff, with his hands on a Synthi 100 (a rare and legendary synthesiser), and know that Wendy slagged their smaller (in Peter Zinovieff's words) "pathetic little synthesiser" that they built, and you know how the VCS3 is the second-most-important synthesiser ever built, second only to the Minimoog, then it makes perfect sense.

it's all about context.

i'm not bothered at all by what Jack Dangers said. i don't even take offence at what Paul said about Bob. Paul's a nice guy and i know he wasn't speaking with malice.
s o l v e n t wrote:why did that not work out mr STG?
i could go into details about scheduling conflicts and ideas i proposed which were rejected but the bottom line is that you weren't making a movie about every manufacturer in modern boutique electronic music manufacturing, you were making a movie about your personal perception of the resurgence of modular synthesisers, and that's fine. it's called art.

the only thing that bothers me is that people who would make a movie about the resurgence of modular synthesisers would operate under the incorrect and mistaken assumption that the post-1998 large-format market was primarily consumed and enjoyed by old men with grey ponytails who just want to play TD and ELP covers.

and it makes me worried about what this "history" segment of their movie is going to be like, because that generalisation doesn't Bode well for it.
http://stgsoundlabs.com is where i sell things
http://suitandtieguy.com is my personal/music website
http://suitandtieguy.livejournal.com is my LJ, no blogistan for STG yo.

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:18 pm

The director of IDOW, Robert Fantinatto, seems like an interesting fellow. Here are a few quotes about his views on IDOW from the net:

The “dedicated and obsessive subculture” of modular synth fanatics across the world formed the inspiration for I Dream of Wires, said director Robert Fantinatto.
Fantinatto said he met many modular synth collectors who have “devoted a significant chunk of their lives [to] buying, building and collecting these machines that sometimes take over their homes and their lives.”
“The mystery behind what motivates this irrational obsession is at the heart of the film,” Fantinatto said.

This is exactly what I got from the trailers. A view of the dark side, focusing not on the positive like making music, but the negative twisted side of irrational obsession of the current modular sceen. Like modules were Pokemon cards where you have to get them all.
I got the impression if Fantinatto was doing a documentry on beer, the focus would be on alcoholism, instead of all the positive views one could focus on.

b3groover wrote: Back in my day you actually had to mortgage your house to be able to afford a modular!
Always a good point that many forget or just do not realize. Some of the vintage synthesizers that I read "go for prices only a collector could afford", are actually less than would have cost you new back when they were sold. CS-80 is a good example. I paid a little less than 5 grand for a new one in '78, and that was a good deal, usually $5600 street price. Allowing for inflation, in todays dollars that would be just under 20 grand. Same for a Moog or any of those modulars from that time. High price tag was the reason only universities and large studios had them.
I always thought that had something to do with the resurgence of modular gear today.

s o l v e n t

Post by s o l v e n t » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:03 pm

suitandtieguy wrote:the only thing that bothers me is that people who would make a movie about the resurgence of modular synthesisers would operate under the incorrect and mistaken assumption that the post-1998 large-format market was primarily consumed and enjoyed by old men with grey ponytails who just want to play TD and ELP covers.
We are not operating under that assumption.

Anyway, I appreciate some of the thoughts and feedback here, but there is really nothing good going to come out of me addressing everyone's concerns based on speculations derived from the trailer.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:33 pm

Man I hope this thread makes it into the Hardcore Edition!

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:31 pm

Good thing the thread aint locked. But I hope that the moderators steps in and tell some people to stay in line. I think Bitexion tried good, but its a moderators job...
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:39 pm

volumetrik wrote:
balma wrote:Since I realized AG is being smashed in this thread just for being a knowledgeable and cool guy, I just dropped by to say

Hurray =D> AG!!!!
some of the stuff AG says is down right offensive, insensitive and disrespectful.

On one time, I talked about wanting more companies to make analog stuff, and he went on to tell me that its pointless making new analog, that its like making a Model T again, there is nothing magic about analog, and I should just shut up and be happy with what is being made already. makes you wonder why is the guy into analog so much in the first place. You're welcome to have your opinion about things but just don't offend others when you state yours.
YAY! Still about meee!

My posts on synths are definitely offensive, insensitive, and disrespectful.
I'm sure there are Juno 60 owners, TB-303 enthusiasts, and documentary producers crying themselves to sleep every night over my cruelty. God, why can't someone stop the carnage? I'm too evil to do it myself.

Oh, wait. Did you want to talk about analog synths?

RE: Take that, Wendy Carlos!

I thought that was all in good fun. And to be honest, I was just thankful that a subtitle didn't fly by with a another tedious description of her totally irrelevant personal life.
I would pity anyone whose actual intention was to challenge her in regard to synthesis!

P.S.
That song is sequenced. It is completely comprised of samples, including an unlicensed Disney sample. There is not one analog synthesizer to be found on it. But don't tell anyone.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:32 pm

I knew those Sub Phatty videos were the work of the Dark Lord!

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:42 am

CZ Rider wrote:
b3groover wrote: Back in my day you actually had to mortgage your house to be able to afford a modular!
Always a good point that many forget or just do not realize. Some of the vintage synthesizers that I read "go for prices only a collector could afford", are actually less than would have cost you new back when they were sold. CS-80 is a good example. I paid a little less than 5 grand for a new one in '78, and that was a good deal, usually $5600 street price. Allowing for inflation, in todays dollars that would be just under 20 grand. Same for a Moog or any of those modulars from that time. High price tag was the reason only universities and large studios had them.
I always thought that had something to do with the resurgence of modular gear today.

I calculate my euro system to be probably around $10,000. I would never have believed it if someone told be before I started that it would reach this point. back then I refused to buy a Voyager because I thought it was only for rich people squandering cash while all my favorite emerging artists used cheapo VAs and laptops. I laugh at myself now.