Vile Electrodes - what drums?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bouzoukijoe1

Vile Electrodes - what drums?

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:01 am

this band is awesome. anyone know what kind of hardware drum machines can sound like this straight out of the box?

Last edited by bouzoukijoe1 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: Vile Electronics - what drums?

Post by tekkentool » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:18 am

A sampler.

808 clap, Linndrum snare. Can't tell the kick because I don't have my headphones with me but the answer is that it was probably just a sampler or put together on a computer.

So none.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Re: Vile Electronics - what drums?

Post by calaverasgrande » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:08 am

Alesis HR16b has both the clean digital hats and a few electronic sounding samples of analog machines for kick, snare and claps.
The Yamaha XR5(?) has a lot of good tones like that. Heck most mid to late 80's drum machines had similar sounds. The hitch is that some really suck to program, and a lot of the older drum machines only have one output, or a stereo pair. And most of them have no patch editing. The sound is the sound you get.

Korg superbeats, now THAT is a cheesy 80's drum machine.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

bouzoukijoe1

Re: Vile Electrodes - what drums?

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:46 pm

cool thank you. I forgot to mention I was after the snare specifically. another person tipped me off to a 707 as a possible match, which sounds pretty damn close. and it turns out their soundcloud page has a gear list.

https://soundcloud.com/vile-electrodes

VileElectrodes

Post by VileElectrodes » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:11 pm

Hello. Ms Neon here. Don't think my input's needed now, but it was indeed a 707 (and a bit of SCI Drumtraks). The whole song is actually made using vintage hardware - we're obsessive synth collectors! :)

Samples can sound great - we use samples of the Linn Drum and some other drum machines in our MPC, but it never sounds quite like the real thing. One day we'll have all the synthesizers, I tells you!

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:55 pm

VileElectrodes wrote:Hello. Ms Neon here. Don't think my input's needed now, but it was indeed a 707 (and a bit of SCI Drumtraks). The whole song is actually made using vintage hardware - we're obsessive synth collectors! :)

Samples can sound great - we use samples of the Linn Drum and some other drum machines in our MPC, but it never sounds quite like the real thing. One day we'll have all the synthesizers, I tells you!
Great song. Now I'm curious as to what the other parts were made with. The bassline is very 80's Roland. Maybe a Juno for the arps?
soundcloud.com/vectron

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:42 am

VileElectrodes wrote:Hello. Ms Neon here. Don't think my input's needed now, but it was indeed a 707 (and a bit of SCI Drumtraks). The whole song is actually made using vintage hardware - we're obsessive synth collectors! :)

thanks! terrific sound!! awesome vocals and the synth tracks.
=D>
never did I have any interest in 707s until I heard your song. I can't stop listening to it.

Alex E, this one is bad a*s too

VileElectrodes

Post by VileElectrodes » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:52 am

Sorry for the delay in replying!

Thanks a lot :) The 707 is great, with a really punchy sound for it's price. It's very underrated!

The other kit we used on Proximity:
SH-101
Juno-6
Yamaha SK-20
Arp Quartet
Korg Mono/poly
SCI Drumtraks

Mostly recorded live in the studio, with a few overdubs. It's all hardware and no softsynths. Juno 6 arpeggiator and SH-101 sequencer triggered from the 707 and from a 606 running in sync.

Glad you like it!

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:42 am

just listened to Sanctuary. so good. you guys are seriously the best classic live synth duo since Xeno and Oaklander. except you have a fuller, more hi-fi sound. I can't rave enough. I hope you guys blow up.

condit79
Gear: 5U modular/STG/.com, Mopho, Sixtrak, Sprocket, xoxbox, juno 6, ESQ1, SY35, Ipad
Band: lvoe

Post by condit79 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 am

Thought there was some SCI in there. It's my new (again) obsession. I only have an arturia spark (which actually sounds pretty decent for software) but I really want to pick one up as they're not all that expensive (yet). Thanks for popping in and commenting on how you make your music. So cool.
soundcloud.com/lvoe

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:16 am

interesting coincidence for me regarding the 707 and general interest in what gear other musicians use is that the last time I was also intrigued to find out was with Xeno and Oaklander and analogue drums (sort of Roland CR 78 style sounds). I just realized that it's actually rare for me to care what synths others use, but when it comes to drums, I find it irresistable. maybe strings too.