Who here is ALL ANALOG?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Re: Who here is ALL ANALOG?

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:07 am

Who here is ALL ANALOG?

Well, I am so far. No digital components that I know of...analog eyes, analog arms, analog legs...Maybe when I get that Tactical Neural Implant...or will that be analog also?
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

syntheticsolutions
Gear: Rhodes 78 Mk2, Jupiter 4, Juno 6, MS-10, CS-15, Opus 3, Machinedrum, RE-501, Roland Rack
Band: Lunar Modular

Post by syntheticsolutions » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:31 pm

My synth and processing set up is 100% analogue and I intend to keep it that way :) Unless I stumble across a Lexicon 224 that is.

Unfortunately, all of this is recorded via a digital interface with poor convertors :/ I would really love to get into the world of tape recorders. I have no knowledge of what makes a good recorder or what estimated values are accurate.

I am inevitably going to take this step sometime soon however, bouncing the final stereo track into the digital world will surely need an interface to deal with the conversion?
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.

stf-ran
Gear: Voyager, DSI P12, Cubase.

Post by stf-ran » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:38 pm

I'm thinking of going early 90's retro-blackface ADATs. Anyone still using these?

And before I get flamed, I'm joking.

condit79
Gear: 5U modular/STG/.com, Mopho, Sixtrak, Sprocket, xoxbox, juno 6, ESQ1, SY35, Ipad
Band: lvoe

Post by condit79 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:51 am

you laugh but Suit and Tie Guy uses a high end ADAT to color his sound occasionally and it rips. Everything has a place, IMO.
soundcloud.com/lvoe

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:57 am

I love analog devices, and have many of them- including synthesizers, effects pedals, and other organic musical thingies. I also own and use several pieces of digital gear, including synthesizers, which have their own place in my humble studio. So, while the "idea" of an all-analog set up sounds appealing, the truth is- I don't really care "how" something operates, so long as the sounds they make are the sounds I'm trying to create.
Bassist, synth junkie

stf-ran

Post by stf-ran » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:17 pm

condit79 wrote:you laugh but Suit and Tie Guy uses a high end ADAT to color his sound occasionally and it rips. Everything has a place, IMO.
I find that interesting. One man's junk...

I was more referring to actually using(workflow) compared to a modern DAW.

Whatever gets you through the night.

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:57 pm

I have a zoom 1201...the rest is analog :)
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:29 pm

themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:50 pm

Aside from a few digital delays... and if you consider syncing or midi recording to be "digital"... I'm 100% analog in terms of signal.

Mainly because it's more enjoyable and I already spend too much time on my computer... and because it's a quicker more efficient process for me.

condit79
Gear: 5U modular/STG/.com, Mopho, Sixtrak, Sprocket, xoxbox, juno 6, ESQ1, SY35, Ipad
Band: lvoe

Post by condit79 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:50 pm

Oh and here's a great example of why digital+analog is amazing.

I ran sunrizer through a minibrute and got this. So many good tones I'd never get at with a minibrute. Squishing polyphonic tones through one filter really sounds fantastic at times.
soundcloud.com/lvoe

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:59 pm

stf-ran wrote:I'm thinking of going early 90's retro-blackface ADATs. Anyone still using these?

I had 24 track set up with 3 of those beast, they sounded great, built like a tank, never had a single issues. I would use those again before using logic, ableton, or protools.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

stf-ran

Post by stf-ran » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:25 pm

wiss wrote:
stf-ran wrote:I'm thinking of going early 90's retro-blackface ADATs. Anyone still using these?

I had 24 track set up with 3 of those beast, they sounded great, built like a tank, never had a single issues. I would use those again before using logic, ableton, or protools.
Waiting for them to rewind would drive me crazy now. Just curious, are you still recording and what do you use?

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by wiss » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:19 am

stf-ran wrote: Waiting for them to rewind would drive me crazy now. Just curious, are you still recording and what do you use?
The only recordings I make these days are for the animated shorts I make. I dump the track into garbage band and then drag the file into what ever video editing I'm using.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:36 am

wiss wrote: The only recordings I make these days are for the animated shorts I make. I dump the track into garbage band and then drag the file into what ever video editing I'm using.
That's wicked. Got any clips I could see? all the old ones you posted on twitter are gone off youtube now.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by wiss » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:15 am

tekkentool wrote:
wiss wrote: The only recordings I make these days are for the animated shorts I make. I dump the track into garbage band and then drag the file into what ever video editing I'm using.
That's wicked. Got any clips I could see? all the old ones you posted on twitter are gone off youtube now.
I'm finishing up a new short(will be finished at the end of April), I will post it for a limited time as a private video through Vimeo, before I w***e it to every film festival.

I will post a link in off topic