CS-80, JP-8, OB-X, Xpander - 2-pole comparison

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

CS-80, JP-8, OB-X, Xpander - 2-pole comparison

Post by 8bit9bot » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:27 pm

I have recently been looking @ all of the different Yamaha CS series synths... especially demos of the 50, 60, 70m, 80. I am wondering... Jupiter 8, OB series, Xpander? How do they compare to each other in 2-pole mode and against the CS's?

PS: sweet demos on this page:
http://www.babic.com/SYN/cs70m.htm

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Re: CS-80, JP-8, OB-X, Xpander - 2-pole comparison

Post by 8bit9bot » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:57 am

i know 2-pole filters are not as common/popular as 4-pole but dang - no one chimed in - guess it makes sense since a lot of us havent had a chance to actually try all of the synths i listed - oh well

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:19 am

8bit9bot wrote:i know 2-pole filters are not as common/popular as 4-pole but dang - no one chimed in - guess it makes sense since a lot of us havent had a chance to actually try all of the synths i listed - oh well

I'd say moreso it's a case of it being kind of a subjective discussion.

Anyway, it's not really appropriate to compare the polyphonic CSes to anything else because their filter configuration is pretty unique (only the CS-30 and MS-20 are similar). In normal low-pass mode (without the high-pass filter), the CSes aren't that impressive compared to the OB-X/Xa/Xpander... not sure about the Jup-8, but I don't think that's known as being a very aggressive filter sound in general.
Do you even post on vse bro?

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:18 am

Sir Ruff wrote: Anyway, it's not really appropriate to compare the polyphonic CSes to anything else because their filter configuration is pretty unique (only the CS-30 and MS-20 are similar). In normal low-pass mode (without the high-pass filter), the CSes aren't that impressive compared to the OB-X/Xa/Xpander... not sure about the Jup-8, but I don't think that's known as being a very aggressive filter sound in general.
ah that is very helpful actually - CS series polys stand alone for that sound - thanks!

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:29 pm

8bit9bot wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote: Anyway, it's not really appropriate to compare the polyphonic CSes to anything else because their filter configuration is pretty unique (only the CS-30 and MS-20 are similar). In normal low-pass mode (without the high-pass filter), the CSes aren't that impressive compared to the OB-X/Xa/Xpander... not sure about the Jup-8, but I don't think that's known as being a very aggressive filter sound in general.
ah that is very helpful actually - CS series polys stand alone for that sound - thanks!
I should add that, of the whole lot, only the Xpander self-oscillates in 2-pole mode.
Do you even post on vse bro?

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:58 pm

interesting! i had no idea any 2pole filters self oscillated

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:20 am

8bit9bot wrote:interesting! i had no idea any 2pole filters self oscillated
There are lots of 2-pole filters that oscillate -

OB-8/Xa (just need to adjust the 2-pole res trimmer)
Xpander/Matrix-12
Odyssey mk. 1 (4023 filter)
MS10/MS20
OSCar
Wasp
Polivoks
Minibrute
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

Ianh

Post by Ianh » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:52 am

Comparing each of these by filter alone is difficult as each is the sum of all of its parts. Also none of these sound very similar.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:55 pm

on the poly CS synths the filter(s) are a small part of whatever is different with how they play and sound vs other synths. trying to prescribe it to the filter or vco is sort of missing it.

The whole experience of playing and making patches on them is different. This is partly because the Prophet-5 influenced the design of most/all polys made after it, which includes the OBies and Jupiter 6/8 (the 4 being 'the early weirdo'). While the CS 50/60/80 were designed independently, and around the same time as the P5; hence they bear no influence from the P5.
Which was kinda sad, really. The P5 was great but it sure doesn't handle as well as the 50/60/80 and can't get there in terms of touch expression.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies