a big difference in the virus ti and virus ti2 plugins?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
chimney chop
Band: boxc, cigarettes after sex

Post by chimney chop » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:11 pm

i'm new to the VST world and am i'm interested in buying either a ti or ti2 desktop.

the ti goes for noticeably less but was wondering if there's a significant difference between the two in either compatibility and/or performance in a VST platform.

i know there's 25% more dsp power with the ti2 but i wouldn't be running more than 1 or 2 instances at a time.

is there a big difference and if so, in what way?

any insights appreciated.

thanks!

ps: my hosts are FL Studio and Cubase 7

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: a big difference in the virus ti and virus ti2 plugins?

Post by Alex E » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:34 pm

Personally, I'd hang onto your C since you already have it. When I finally tried the TI desktop, I was blown away by the sound, but pretty frustrated with the so called "Total Integration" which never worked the way I wanted it to.

If you're looking for a good virus-y VST I'd give Sylenth1 a try. It's not a replacement for the Virus, but IMHO it has similar strengths and weaknesses.
soundcloud.com/vectron

chimney chop

Post by chimney chop » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:18 am

cool, I'll try the Sylenth
yeah, I'm planning on keeping the virus c.
how successful/unsuccessful did you find the audio through midi to be?

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:50 am

Do you really need the virus? I think they're kind of useless as a studio tool now that processing speeds are so cheap. I run 20 instances of massive, 50+ channels and I don't flex over 30% CPU usage these days.

Look at sylenth1, Massive, ACE, DIVA and waldorf largo. If you can't find what you wanted the virus for in there I'd be surprised. If you're only interested in the TI for a studio tool I don't think I'd bother.

For live stuff I'd 100% understand though.

chimney chop

Post by chimney chop » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:28 am

yeah, I'll be using it live but would of course like to use it as a studio tool as well.

finding using soft synths uninspiring thus far.

it's not that the sounds that are found wanting but the lack of a hands on tactile experience which is why the TI and TI2 are so attractive.

is the 'total integration' better executed in the TI2 or is it the same as the TI?

vladimotor
Gear: V-Synth, Kurzweil PC3le6, Akai Miniak, Korg MicroX, Godin Solidac, Breedlove AC25, Live, Samplitude pro, Zebra, Z3ta, Imposcar, Absynth 4, FM8, Pro53

Post by vladimotor » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:15 am

Sorry, can't help you with software integration question. But I'd like to make two points:
1. Ti and Ti2 do sound noticeably better to me then C.
2. I do like some of the soft synths people recommended above, but Zebra comes to my mind certainly ahead of Sylenth(which is also nice).

boreg

Post by boreg » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:49 pm

chimney chop wrote:is the 'total integration' better executed in the TI2 or is it the same as the TI?
It's exactly the same.

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:57 pm

Once and awhile, for certain projects, I use my TI desktop in Ableton in full TI mode. No issues. winxp.

There are no differences in this regard with anything else in the Ti family.

Oh, and, there is only 1 instance. 16 parts, but only one synth.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:43 pm

chimney chop wrote:i know there's 25% more dsp power with the ti2 but i wouldn't be running more than 1 or 2 instances at a time.
You can have only one instance of the TI VST. That single instance supports up to 16 parts (4 with the TI Snow) with up to 3 stereo/6 mono audio outputs.

More complex sounds eat more voices up, so the 25% extra DSP can be significant if the TI will be the primary source of sounds for you.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:19 pm

tekkentool wrote:Look at sylenth1, Massive, ACE, DIVA and waldorf largo. If you can't find what you wanted the virus for in there I'd be surprised.
I wouldn't. I've tried all of them and f**k hate the tone of every single one. The interfaces are good for click and drag, but I felt all of them sounded harsh, compressed and lacking in subtle, pleasing detail. Almost decided Surge was ok, but ultimately its sound also grinded my nerves after a little while. Even the buggy-a*s mda JX10 has better resonant filters and it's been around twice as long as any of those. In contrast, free software like VOPM and Antti Asynth had dynamics and character to spare, and stack well with multiple instances.

I don't really understand the allure of the tonality of this 2008-2013 generation of subtractive soft-synths. Why would you care if you have 14 simultaneous modulation sources if they all end up sounding like a brillo pad scraping a tin roof? Why would you use anything that sounds flat and characterless after you've EQ'd out all the mud and harsh treble? Perhaps I am just behind the musical times now and cannot agree with the character of these synths, since it apparently is a continuing trend.

I still love my Virus b, even with its shitty Multi interface, non-existant ability to stay in sync with Midi clock and all. But perhaps it's because I've got a long history with it. You should still try all the above suggested soft-synths and decide, as they are still very powerful and intuitive to use. Myself, I'm sticking with my Virus b and am about to get Omnisphere. And that's probably because I missed the analogue fire sale and am still bitter about it. Pay me no mind. :|
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:49 pm

[quote="Alex E"]Personally, I'd hang onto your C since you already have it. When I finally tried the TI desktop, I was blown away by the sound, but pretty frustrated with the so called "Total Integration" which never worked the way I wanted it to.
quote]

Same for me....I have a TI2, but I never try to use it in "TI" mode anymore. It just freezes up or does quirky things that make it a real PITA.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:11 pm

Actually I agree with you Solderman, and I embrace softsynths, computers and all the cool things they can do - but yes in the end you are always fighting the tone of them, mixing/tweaking the s**t out of them, masking them with reverb/FX etc, just to get a good sound out of them - not so if you've experienced a hardware synth of any quality. If a VA is mimicking analog then a computer is mimicking a VA in my opinion. No substitute for it, that's why you still see a heap of people using hardware synths in studios even today.

But I digress, the Ti is a phenomenal synth, but yes the plugin implementation is rather s**t in practice by all accounts. But then if you wanted a plugin, why not get a plugin? :geek:
Last edited by Hybrid88 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:20 pm

I've heard a lot of "squeaky wheels" reporting TI bugs, but I never had issues with my TI Snow. Maybe because I'm a Mac user? It worked as advertised with both Ableton Live and Cubase.

After all if it was totally broken, Access would have had to do something by now. It's been out for 8 years already and survived numerous Windows and Mac OS updates as well as DAW version changes.

My advice would be to see if you could try it first somehow...buying it new with a 30-day return policy for instance. If you're buying it used, well that might be a problem.

As far as recommending going with softsynths instead, I would not go that far. Certainly removing the drain on the CPU needed by the best sounding VSTis is a real plus of the TI. In fact I used my Snow with nothing but a USB cable plugged in. For every user who thinks the Virus sounds better than any softsynth there's a user who feels the exact opposite. I'm in the middle, I went to Alchemy and A.C.E. which I think sound great but there are sounds, esp. deep Moog-ish bass patches, that made me understand why Access can get away with a premium price. If you like the sound of the C, I'm sure you will also like the sound of the TI.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:30 pm

meatballfulton wrote:I've heard a lot of "squeaky wheels" reporting TI bugs, but I never had issues with my TI Snow. Maybe because I'm a Mac user? It worked as advertised with both Ableton Live and Cubase.
I'm a Mac user as well....I use Logic Pro 9. I can't say that the "TI" doesn't work, but it just seems like a PITA to me. I can get results much faster by using as a hardware synth than a "VST." I seem to move faster and better with hardware anyway. I enjoy using other softsynths (Arturia V Collection and Korg Analog Legacy), but for some reason I get headache when trying to use the Virus like them. Perhaps I'm just doing something (which is highly likely if not probable). The Virus is a great synth though, and I would never get rid of it.

chimney chop

Post by chimney chop » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:05 am

this is all great to know.

"total integration" would be great but looks like it isn't fully implemented correctly or at least it's a pain to get it to where it is.

the motivation behind my interest in the TI/TI2 is(was) this.........

when i use Indigo 2 it's great to tweak as i play which helps me create sounds as i create music.

i love the way the Indigo sounds and thought, "hey, i know, lets get a TI. that'll allow me the immediacy of hardware and yet employ the versatility of a VST"

with softsynths i have to stop playing, lift my hands from the synth, put them on the mouse, go back to playing, stop playing, tweak a bit more, drive out to the desert, blow my brains out.

guess for now i have to shelve my dreams of a hardware synth that doubles as a VST, drive to Guitar Center and buy a f*$%ing slate gray midi keyboard.

maybe it'll keep me out of the desert.