Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
jimtheswede

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by jimtheswede » Sat May 04, 2013 12:09 am

Thanks to both Marc and Nick for their excellent reviews. I'm glad Nick pointed out the need for a converter to track pitch. The CV difference with all my other analogs is about the only thing that does not make me want one. Hopefully someone (Korg?) will make a new expander module that will include a conversion. Like the "English Tear" (I think that's the name of the module), but stand alone desktop form.

sourwookie
Gear: ARP Solus, Roland SH-201, Korg MS2000, Nord Electro 3, Volca Keys and Beats,Roland Juno D

Post by sourwookie » Sat May 04, 2013 3:04 am

For the sake of expressiveness, I would like to route more than one parameter through the mod wheel (pitch LFO + LFO speed, for example. Or open the VCF + noise) simultaneously. Would this be possible using 3.5mm Y-adaptors in the patch bay?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sat May 04, 2013 8:55 am

The first thing you suggest is not possible, because there's no CV input for LFO speed; the second one is possible: you need to split the mod wheel output (e.g. via Y-cable or better stackcables) and then it can control both the VCF (via "total" or "ext" inputs) and also the VCA level of the separate VCA (where you route through the noise, then the noise goes to wherever you want it).

sourwookie
Gear: ARP Solus, Roland SH-201, Korg MS2000, Nord Electro 3, Volca Keys and Beats,Roland Juno D

Post by sourwookie » Sat May 04, 2013 1:31 pm

Awesome! Thanks! I was just grabbing hypotheticals there but was mainly curious to know if it was were possible to come up with something clever using Y-adaptors or stack cables (I'll have to order some) to get tones and performance options not possible with simple patching or no patching.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat May 04, 2013 1:58 pm

I don't know of any modular/semi modular synth that can't use split/stackable cables. It's just CV signals, there is no limit to how many times you can split them. Modular systems have powerless modules called Multiples, which is just a row of patch points that are soldered together so you can split signals and send them anywhere you want.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Tue May 07, 2013 4:16 pm

More Sonic State mucking about ( :D ): http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2013/05/ ... a-session/
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Wed May 08, 2013 2:56 am

I came across this on Youtube. A song made with all sounds coming from the MS-20 mini:

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Wed May 08, 2013 4:26 am

I believe the MS-20 Mini is an urban myth. It doesn't exist at all really. All the videos I see out there must be hoaxes, photos are all photoshopped, all the sounds probably coming from an iPad. Or so this is the logic I use to make the long a*s wait more enduring. That and mucking about with the fantastic stuff I've got. And I'm thrilled the mini has plastic bend-y shafts. The money saved won't affect the grin on my face when I have a go on that making fat nasty sounds.

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Wed May 08, 2013 4:52 am

The wait for this is unbearable. The month push-back has really sealed it as the worst thing. I have no idea how I'll last waiting for the Volca's. Maybe I'll just have to buy something else in the mean time...

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Wed May 08, 2013 4:58 am

Well according to guitar center it should be here next week...(I hope)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed May 08, 2013 1:54 pm

I'm glad that Nick mentioned a few times the MS-20 is a budget analog and has all the limitations that implies. The patching isn't as powerful as it looks :(

The heart of the MS20 is those weird filters and the ESP surprises, but basically it's a very simple synth. Like many "classics" what most people love are the things that don't work quite right :? or are total accidents 8-)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Wed May 08, 2013 1:54 pm

I don't remember if it was on this thread or a related one, but I just checked eBay prices for vintage MS-20s....a number selling under $1K. Nothing recent over $1600. Prices are falling. I do wonder if this is a change that will stick around for some time...
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Wed May 08, 2013 4:31 pm

LOL Just look at that hint... I´ll wait for the rack/desktop version! :D

Herrare umanum est.

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Wed May 08, 2013 5:51 pm

I phoned my music shop today (Production Room in Leeds) for an availability update, its looking like July / August we get them in Yorkshire, UK now. Korg are sending just a few over at the moment for reviewers and establishment, to create a large demand amongst musicians.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Wed May 08, 2013 5:54 pm

meatballfulton wrote:I'm glad that Nick mentioned a few times the MS-20 is a budget analog and has all the limitations that implies. The patching isn't as powerful as it looks :(

The heart of the MS20 is those weird filters and the ESP surprises, but basically it's a very simple synth. Like many "classics" what most people love are the things that don't work quite right :? or are total accidents 8-)
So many people really believe its a super deep synth. The patch panel is extremely basic.